• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Squad Thread

cpr

International Coach
Haa now now dont get ridiculous. So if you dont have faith in Brown as back-up right back to Johnson, why did you pick him your intial squad on page 3?

You changing your mouth now or what?. Or have you find another player capable of being a backup right-back to Johnson in the last few days??
The bit in brackets tbh. He is utter utter toss, but theres no one else who springs to mind. Well actually theres one, but i'd be laughed off the forums if i suggested Phil Neville.........

He has only been a regular because Cole & Walcott has been injured. Both are back now & although Milner impressed, he should be behind Cole/Walcott/Lennon & Becks in the pecking order. Simple.
Doesnt change the fact that only Cole plays on the left, though I suppose you do have a point about Gerrard playing there. However i dont think Capello will, or should, rely on just Gerrard/Cole for the left, when one injury in the middle would move Gerrard back to his favoured spot, or one injury to Cole would leave us very one dimensional and lacking variety or options down the flank.

Haa which City fans do you talk to. Either way Capello clearly doesn't think he has been ****ing shocking since he joined City, since he has continued picking him as back-up left-back throught the WCQ. So u oughta chill, what Capello does is always right :laugh:
The ones I work with, the ones i drink with, etc etc. Quite alot, remember theres no utd fans in Manchester ;) Yet to hear a blue say anything good about Bridge since 2 weeks after he signed.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
King simply won't be there, end of. He's not a tournament player because of his knees. Capello called him up, had a look and he got injured in training.

I don't rate Carrick and he's been a nobody in an England shirt.

Milner is the in-form player, he has to go and he has to start. I'd rather not play Gerrard at all to make sure that Milner plays on the left. And before you go all rar rar, bear in mind Gerrard's not in form and has been repeatedly crocked this season. Joe Cole's been injured for a million years. Walcott, one game against Croatia aside, fails to impress in almost any game since for Arsenal/England. 4 wingers should be Milner/Lennon/Beckham/Cole.

I bet i watch a hell of a lot more than you. Nearly always watch all 3 Saturday games and failing that i'll watch Bundesliga/Dutch football when there's no English games on. Warnock's in form, Bridge is injured and hasn't had England form for awhile. He played against Brazil iirc and was very anonymous.

Because Jagielka offers RB cover. End. Plus anyone's better at RB than Wes Brown (see Brazil game)

That's because the core element for every squad are the same, every squad will have Rooney in, that doesn't make the fact someone picking Andy Carroll (for example) would be any less stupid.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
The bit in brackets tbh. He is utter utter toss, but theres no one else who springs to mind. Well actually theres one, but i'd be laughed off the forums if i suggested Phil Neville.........
Actually here on CW, they probably wont laugh you. Since of course CW is biased an all, they will probably let your opinion pass & bash me for saying Owen must go the WC you know how it goes :laugh:

But at you admit regardless of the issues, Brown will go. Cased closed.

Doesnt change the fact that only Cole plays on the left, though I suppose you do have a point about Gerrard playing there. However i dont think Capello will, or should, rely on just Gerrard/Cole for the left, when one injury in the middle would move Gerrard back to his favoured spot, or one injury to Cole would leave us very one dimensional and lacking variety or options down the flank.
No need to change a winning formula. Capello has got it working. Its almost like the Shane Watson debate whether he should open for AUS long term. Like Stevie G its not his best/favoured role, but he doing well there ATM.

Plus i'd think both Walcott & Lennon could be effective down the left as well. I dont see them as one-dimentionall right-wing options at all. Neither do i see Cole as jsut a left-wing option, at Chelsea in recent season he has been playing on right mainly & recently in the "hole" behind Drogba/Anelka. Alot of variety still..

The ones I work with, the ones i drink with, etc etc. Quite alot, remember theres no utd fans in Manchester ;) Yet to hear a blue say anything good about Bridge since 2 weeks after he signed.
Ha well yea i'll admit i've heard some Bridge back talk with Man City fans i know here too. But i dont see where its coming from, Capello's view>>>>>>>>all City fans..

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I don't rate Carrick and he's been a nobody in an England shirt.
Again, you anyone else not rating him is irrelevant. I didn't nor im sure the majority of ENG didn't rate Sven's choice of picking Hargreaves to WC 06, but it turned out to be very correct.

Given lack of truly better mid-fielders Capello is 90-95% likely to pick him & if he likely does i back Capello's judgement as to why he would think Carrick would be useful. Cased closed.

Milner is the in-form player, he has to go and he has to start. I'd rather not play Gerrard at all to make sure that Milner plays on the left.
Thankfully Capello is our coach. Since their is no reason to change a winning formula ATM.

Gerrard------------------------Barry-------------------------------Lampard-----------------------Theo/Lennon

That mid-field quartert doesn't need changing. Cased closed.

And before you go all rar rar, bear in mind Gerrard's not in form and has been repeatedly crocked this season.
This hasn't prevented Gerrard from producing two brillaint performances for ENG when fit vs Belarus & vs Croatia at Wembley. Stevie G will be fine once his injury woes doesn't escalted too bad for the remainder of the season, you dont stress your little head..-

Joe Cole's been injured for a million years.
Chill with the overexaggerations please. Since Cole has been back, he has looked quite fine. A must pick in the WC squad.

Walcott, one game against Croatia aside, fails to impress in almost any game since for Arsenal/England.
:laugh:. I know you dont watch football based on this comment.

If any one of Sledger, Marcuss or Duffer tell me Walcott hasn't impressed for Arsenal since that Croatia encounter...i might scream :laugh:

4 wingers should be Milner/Lennon/Beckham/Cole.
Disagree with Milner. Walcott over him any day..

I bet i watch a hell of a lot more than you. Nearly always watch all 3 Saturday games and failing that i'll watch Bundesliga/Dutch football when there's no English games on.
Am Bundesliga/Dutch football doesn't show on SKY. So i cant watch it even if i wanted to. I dont always watch all the games on saturday/sunday since i have a life :laugh:, but i catch most La Liga games, plus i go by my cousin who has Setanta to watch Serie A especially when Milan are playing, so as to assess Beckham...

So if you want to bet you watch a hell of a lot more football than me, wager you house then?? :laugh:

Warnock's in form, Bridge is injured and hasn't had England form for awhile. He played against Brazil iirc and was very anonymous.
Thats just one game, the best of players can look bad vs Brazil - in the fact other than Milner & Rooney that night everyone looked gash. Before then Bridge was excellent in most of games he appeared in WCQ, i.e vs Belarus (in Belarus) i remember him being a big part of one Rooney's goals.

Based on what i've seen i dont believe Warnock is an international quality left-back. If their is anyone question over Bridge, i'd have Baines & a fit again Keiran Gibbs over Warnock as a potential replacement for Bridge.

Because Jagielka offers RB cover. End. Plus anyone's better at RB than Wes Brown (see Brazil game)
What?. I personally have never seen Jagielka play RB for Everton, especially againts any BIG 4 side. If he has & i missed well thats a different story.

FYI Brown although he looked gash vs Brazil in the recent friendly. Did before his recent return from injury was Capello's 1st choice RB & looked fairly ok at times i.e in Zagreb 4-1. ATM again even if i where to go with your not so certain choice that Jagielka has played RB for Everton - he is not fit now. Thus Brown is remains very likely to go still. DUHHH

That's because the core element for every squad are the same, every squad will have Rooney in, that doesn't make the fact someone picking Andy Carroll (for example) would be any less stupid.
Haa, yo GTFOH. NO player i suggested that should go the WC was on a Andy Carroll level. I knew King was always the controversial one & even suggested i KNOW he is wont go most likely. But there & idiots like you have benn pissin up your panties over it :laugh:

The only Andy Caroll like selection is suggesting that Warnock should be near to national side...We might as well start considering Kevin Davies as an option to be a striker as well now for the WC squad

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
If Milner is in good form ATM, why does he not deserve to go to the WC?
Its one area "the wings" where ENG have alot of quality options - 4 to be exact.

Just like how AUS in cricket for many years had many top quality top/middle-order batsman in top form scoring runs but couldn't break into the national team (Cox, Law, Lehmann, Siddons etc). Milner IMO ATM falls into that category if all of J Cole/Walcott/Lennon/Beckham are fit going into the WC.

Pothas

God I HATE THIS THREAD, has actually made me rather distressed, the world cup is still 6 months away and it is already being ruined. Half makes me wish we hadn't even qualified to be honest.

Matteh

Only reason people didn't rate Hargreaves is because they never saw him play due to being in Germany. Carrick doesn't deserve to go based on form and isn't needed with Beckham/Milner able to cover in the middle.

Capello hasn't played that midfield since about 2008. Milner has started every game since Holland, completely on merit. Would have to suggest you've actually not seen an England game in which he's played.

And since? He's been repeatedly injured and out of form.

He hasn't, can't recall Walcott terrorising any left back in absolutely ages. Shown by the way he's fallen behind Lennon in the England pecking order who definitely has been in form.

Walcott at best is an impact sub currently, Milner's a definite starter.

You just said you don't watch much football because 'you have a life', yet think you watch more than someone else.

Before then, before then. You can't pick a squad based on previous form, this is the main argument against Owen's inclusion, is why Bridge has fallen down the pecking order. Baines isn't international class, he can just smack a ball quite hard and Gibbs would be a Walcott '06 decision and a waste, plus i think he's injured.

You have missed Jagielka at RB of this i'm certain. Only reason i brought him up is due to the obsession with a centre back that can also play right back. Failing him, the next i can think of would be Phil Neville who is in some form but it's barrel scraping.

Don't be hatin' yo bro, you ****ing ******.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Only reason people didn't rate Hargreaves is because they never saw him play due to being in Germany.
Not totally. We still saw in many WCQ's & friendlies between WC 2002 & EURO 04 & he always looked gash. He was always the WTF player in Sven's ENG set-up before he starred in WC 06..

Carrick doesn't deserve to go based on form and isn't needed with Beckham/Milner able to cover in the middle.
As i've argued before the "mid-field" role Beckham plays in a 4-3-2-1 formation for Milan. Is totally different from the likely central-midfield role in ENGs 4-4-2 he is likely to play as cover to Barry/Lamps during the WC is totally different. At Milan he lines up like this:

-------------------------------------------------------Pato---------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------Ronaldinho---------------------------------------------------------------Seedorf-----------------------------

------------Ambrosini/Guttuso-----------------Pirlo-----------------------------------------------Beckham-------

An actual match example. So to suggest Becks could cover the middle better than Carrick based on this is ludicrous.

As for Milner i haven't ruled out the option. But ATS i am/nor should anyone believe the Milner new found versatily as a central midfielder for Villa is definite sign he would do a good job againts a major side @ international level in the WC just yet, in case of injury. He just should be considered based on his strenght which is as a "winger".

More reason why Carrick's position is safe.

Capello hasn't played that midfield since about 2008.
:laugh: Yea right. I know you dont watch no football. SEPTEMBER 29TH 2009 vs CROATIA @ WEMBLEY & VS UKRAINE IN OCTOBER 2009 was the last time ENG played that formation. See Here & here(i believe Barry was suspended for this match) MY GOD

So again clearly Capello's preferred mid-field set-up for ENG is:

Gerrard-----------------------Barry--------------------------Lampard-------------------------Lennon/Walcott

The fact i to explain this proves you dont watch football & you got the nerve to tell me i'm talking crap. :laugh:..

Milner has started every game since Holland, completely on merit.
Merit of course. But like you seem to forget that Cole, Gerrard & Walcott have been injured alot recently. He has only started because Cole & Theo especially has been out. Again this should be obvious to anyone who has been following ENG in the qualifiers...

Would have to suggest you've actually not seen an England game in which he's played.
Nah its you...CLEARLY

And since? He's been repeatedly injured and out of form.
He hasn't, can't recall Walcott terrorising any left back in absolutely ages. Shown by the way he's fallen behind Lennon in the England pecking order who definitely has been in form.
Madness i've seen Walcott runnign at defenders & looking impressive since that Croatia encounter. The Only reason AGAIN Lennon has sort of played alot recently over Walcott is because Walcott has been injured alot of late. Again this should be OBVIOUS to anyone who has been following the qualifiers

Lennon or Theo will start on the right, whichever is Capello's choice...

You just said you don't watch much football because 'you have a life', yet think you watch more than someone else.
You said you watch ALL the games that show in the premiership on a weekend, plus if none are on is the German & Dutch league games. Thas shows you dont have a life, since that means you do go out in the afternoon etc.

You have match highlights, so i will always see replays & highlights...So get off it i watch alot of football you cant tell me how much i does watch, you dont live at me :laugh:

Before then, before then. You can't pick a squad based on previous form, this is the main argument against Owen's inclusion,
I disagree with that since IMO Owen has shown enough for United this season. This is contentious point, you ask 100 people in ENG 2moro whether Owen should make the WC squad, it will be spit even (50/50 or 60/40yes or no). I'm in the camp the firmly believes he should go, case closed.

is why Bridge has fallen down the pecking order.
Bridge may be fallen down the pecking order in your view. Capello certainly didn't hint at that during recent squad selection when Bridge was fit. He clearly remains second choice to Cole.

Baines isn't international class, he can just smack a ball quite hard and
Tell poster cpr that who picked him in his squad. Baines IMO is far likely to make sense as a intenational left-back than Warnock. You dont have to agree.

Warnock is on par with Nick Shorey, just premiership players..NOT international quality

Gibbs would be a Walcott '06 decision and a waste, plus i think he's injured.
Yes he is injured. My point is when he is fit again, he clearly is a better option than Warnock. He has looked impressive everytime i have seen him since his debut CL performances for Arsenal last season. Comparing him likely being picked for the WC squad to Walcott 06selection is madness, since Theo back in 06 wasn' did nothing on any big stage - Gibbs clearly has ATM.

You have missed Jagielka at RB of this i'm certain. Only reason i brought him up is due to the obsession with a centre back that can also play right back.
8-) Obsession? HAAA. Its football sense dumb dumb. If we dont take Brown, who is going to back-up Johnson if he gets injured then??

Failing him, the next i can think of would be Phil Neville who is in some form but it's barrel scraping.
Madness, utter madness :laugh: surely we all have had enough of him clearly not international quality in ANY position. Clearly he isn't on Capello's radar & thank god he isn't..Micah Richards & old crooked Gary Neville has more of chance to be back-up right back than Phil Neville will ever be of going to the WC

Don't be hatin' yo bro, you ****ing ******.
:laugh: Hate on you for what sane reason? Plus no no your the ****ing ******. After all you where the one who JUST said ENG mid-field quartet of Gerrard/Barry/Lamps/Theo or Lennon didn't play since 2008, when they played together in Sept/October 09. Only a ****ing ******** person could make such a IGNORANT POINT...

EYYYY this boy is a ****ing jackass...:laugh:

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
have seen Jagielka play at RB a few times tbh. Admittedly was when he was 14 but meh.

In my eyes Baines > Warnock because the former hasn't played for Liverpool and Blackburn. I have strict selection criteria.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
have seen Jagielka play at RB a few times tbh. Admittedly was when he was 14 but meh.

In my eyes Baines > Warnock because the former hasn't played for Liverpool and Blackburn. I have strict selection criteria.
Haa perfect example of CW bias especially in this football thread when the big aussie is around. I am fairly certain if i suggested Jaigelka at RB, you would be UP IN ARMS screaming down because you saw him at 14 - but never in premiership. But Matteh say it & all you can say is "meh"?. *Shakes head* :laugh:

Plus if i where to say Carrick> Milner strict United bias i would be hammered again. But i guarantee you, no one will hammer you for saying that even if some feel Warnock is better than Baines...because you are not Aussie...:laugh:

As the great moderator "Clapo" just said, play the post not the poster. Clearly its a double standard when i'm around...:laugh:

Last edited:

Jack88

Cricket Spectator
Milner will be going to world cup as he can play like 20 positions. Beckham isn't going as a winger or CM, he's going as the guy who'll come in the 70th, roam about, ping a few passes and do some set pieces. It's either Milner or Young, and well Young doesn't offer the versatility of being able to cover full backs and centre midfield if desperate, plus Milner has been miles better this season.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Milner will be going to world cup as he can play like 20 positions.
Haa Milner versatility being grossly overated here ATM..I'm willing to bet my house Capello doesn't see it like this.

Beckham isn't going as a winger or CM, he's going as the guy who'll come in the 70th, roam about, ping a few passes and do some set pieces.
Clearly based on how Capello used Becks in the qualifiers he is going as right-wing option who will come in 60-70th minute after Walcott/Lennon had runs the defense tired & Becks then would attack down the right with his pin point crosses - along with taking over the set pieces (mainly the corners since Lamps still does the free-kicks & penalties) Check out all these matches since the 4-1 win in Zagreb:

- vs Croatia: Replaces Walcott on the right after 84 minutes.

- vs Kazakstan: Repalces Walcott again on the right, ENG formation changes from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2

- vs Belarus: IIRC correctly Becks ended up playing on the right, SWP played left, Stevie G played behind Rooney.

- vs Ukraine: Replaces Lennon on the right, plays for a good 30 mins

vs Kazakstan: IIRC correctly he replaced Johnson @ RB.

vs Andorra. Played mid-field given that Barry was injured.

vs Croatia: Replaced Lennon on the right after 80 mins of destruction by the Spurs man.

vs Belarus: Replaced Lennon the right after 58 mins.

This is not even including 2009 friendlies.

Its quite obvious what the tactic was by Capello on how he used Beckham & it was very successful.

It's either Milner or Young, and well Young doesn't offer the versatility of being able to cover full backs and centre midfield if desperate, plus Milner has been miles better this season.
Well Young clearly isn't in the reckoning for the final 23 anyway you look at it, Capello has hardly given him a run on the left. So i dont see how Milner is challenging with Young for a place.

The fact that you have suggested Milner is serious option to cover the full-backs is really taking it too far ATM...come on

Last edited:

Jack88

Cricket Spectator
I don't want Milner to go, I hardly rate him. But he's filled in at right back for England already, Brazil I think it was. And has played like everywhere in his club career. Lennon is the only winger who is going purely as a winger, Cole/Gerrard can cover centre midfield and behind the striker roles, Walcott will be the 5th striker option, and well Beckham, comes on, roams and pings passes, like he did in pretty much all of the game you mentioned there.

Last edited:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Milner and Carrick are definitely going. Brown's touch and go but is more than likely to go. Bridge been out of form this season and remains to be seen whether he can return to some amount of decent form when he comes back. Brown's been inconsistent but injuries haven't helped him there.
Carricks not been awful but he's not been brilliant either. Milner's been brilliant and if it came down to him or Walcott he'd get the nod. Walcott's been patchy this season.