• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in West Indies 2015

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Hooper was a much better bowler than Samuels IMO.
Well, Hooper definitely bowled a lot more than Samuels does. Hooper wasn't very good though. He used to keep tossing them up and was easy to play for the batsmen of that era. He would take fare more wickets in this era when batsmen are less patient. Hooper bowled lollipops, like Boycott said so many times during commentary at the time.

Samuels definitely is a much weaker bowler than Hooper. Their style is a bit similar though, as well.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
He was not making that comment to praise Edwards, but to belittle the West Indies golden era bowlers.
So what was the context? I'm skeptical because it sounds like the sort of thing that would have a reaction but you're the only one who can remember it.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Well, Hooper definitely bowled a lot more than Samuels does. Hooper wasn't very good though. He used to keep tossing them up and was easy to play for the batsmen of that era. He would take fare more wickets in this era when batsmen are less patient. Hooper bowled lollipops, like Boycott said so many times during commentary at the time.

Samuels definitely is a much weaker bowler than Hooper. Their style is a bit similar though, as well.
Hooper was a very good defensive bowling option.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He was not making that comment to praise Edwards, but to belittle the West Indies golden era bowlers.
If the quote you've posted is remotely real (which I doubt), then his point is that the great West Indian quicks weren't quicker than Edwards - hardly an outrageous statement given that Edwards was easily 90mph+ at his best.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Went to the kitchen for a whiskey and come back and Root's on a ton. Could have sworn he was still in the 80s

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
So what was the context? I'm skeptical because it sounds like the sort of thing that would have a reaction but you're the only one who can remember it.
There was a lot of nonsense back in the day. So not hard to imagine it being forgotten. I do remember how most of earlier eras were belittled at the time by certain posters who thought no one could must up to the modern era but that was eras from far back, not the 70s. It wouldn't surprise me if some one dissed the Windies quicks of that era even in this vein. If AB is a 360 degree batsman, we were a 360 degree site back in the day.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Obviously this is against a vastly inferior attack but Root's innings reminds me a tiny bit of Clarke's at Cape Town in terms of "seems to be batting on a completely different pitch from everyone else."

And just to clarify for weldone's benefit when we're debating great Test innings in 10 years time, this comment does not imply that I think that Root's innings is anywhere near Clarke's in terms of quality.