• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in the West Indies 2013-14

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can see why this thread isn't stickied now, clearly a friendly or summat. Still Ravi got some red ink, nice.

Pothas

When did England last manager a boundary? Was it the Buttler reverse sweep because that seems like it was hours ago.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
****ing dismal really.......really hope Giles doesn't get the top job, can't see much good he's done with this limited overs rabble.

grecian

Funny thing is Lumb and Ali probably wouldn't have even played if Morgan and Hales had been fit, so it could have been worse.

*Looking on the bright side since 1984.

harsh.ag

Why is Bopara batting so low down the order? Better than the others, last I remember (which admittedly has been a while). And why didn't Stokes and Wright bowl today?

BeeGee

International Captain
Congrats to the WI.

England had the WI 45/4 after 16 overs.
England were 156/2 after 31 overs.

Very strong positions thrown away.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wait. I just got back from a washed out kid's cricket match (Karma is a bitch to the **** from Bah Bahs who tried to shaft our kids last week - see the what are you thinking thread for deets). England lost? How the hell did they manage that?!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Wait. I just got back from a washed out kid's cricket match (Karma is a bitch to the **** from Bah Bahs who tried to shaft our kids last week - see the what are you thinking thread for deets). England lost? How the hell did they manage that?!
We had to play the game rather than relying on the pools panel verdict. What would Mourinho think?

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Bowling and battting again not good enough(obviously).

The bowling especially lacks incision. A fast bowler or mystery spinner. Too often teams are in trouble against us and then manage to get to competitive scores. 40-4 and you should win nearly all the time. Same bowling second. There's no-one to bowl similarly to what Narine did today. No incision. No potential to bowl teams out. They try to stifle teams but they're not even good at that - and it can be countered by good play from the opposition. There's a real lack of one day bowling talent in England.

You can't do much without the players but they've got to look at their tactics of containment when they get in front of teams when bowling. Rather than let them get an average 250 having had them 80-4 they've gotta find some way of being more aggresive. The powerplay and then only 4 fielders outside the field in normal overs allows teams to go massive in the last 15 if they can rebuild so it's not enough to keep it tight for 35 overs. But again it's tough without the players and especially in series where players are rested - you're going to get exposed.

The batting today was sadly predictable. Missing a few key players (not that they've done much better when Morgan, Bell, Cook, Trott have been there of late). They were always going to be reliant on Root and Buttler today and whilst in the future I feel they will both be big players for England in this format they don't quite have the class or experience at present. Bopara should be able to do more but we know he can't - and yet he's probably still worth his spot in the team - who are we going to replace him with - Luke Wright? lol. Bresnan is so bad but again is probably worth his spot in the team.

Buttler should have come in when Stokes came in. Buttler has the ability unlike some of the others to play under pressure and build an innings and then accelerate. He needs more overs to bat, not less. Anytime on from about the 28th over is good for Buttler imo. Stokes always has been a poor ODI bat.

Oh well. Least I'll say congrats to Lumb. Played really well and I bet he never thought this day would come in his career. Even though he got out at an inopportune time that innings was about as much as England could ask from him.

Like to see Gurney for the next game at least to offer a different angle but given he isn't selected for the world t20s that seems unlikely.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Why is Bopara batting so low down the order? Better than the others, last I remember (which admittedly has been a while). And why didn't Stokes and Wright bowl today?
Because Bopara is there to finish games off apparently whilst they draw the rest of the batting order out of a hat.