• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in Sri Lanka 2021

BoyBrumby

Englishman
That's because you're getting old mate. The years start to fly by.
Ha, isn't that the sad truth? In my mind England had hardly had a chance to unpack their suitcases from their last tour of SL, but it was over two years ago now.

Anyhoo, pleased with the win, apparently it's the first time we've won 4 away tests on the bounce since 1957 and the first time two of our spinners have taken Michelles in the same test since 82, so that's nice.

Slightly concerning that Sibley and Crawley both looked a bit pants starting against spin though. One imagines Messrs Shastri and Kohli will have noted this too.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Ha, isn't that the sad truth? In my mind England had hardly had a chance to unpack their suitcases from their last tour of SL, but it was over two years ago now.

Anyhoo, pleased with the win, apparently it's the first time we've won 4 away tests on the bounce since 1957 and the first time two of our spinners have taken Michelles in the same test since 82, so that's nice.

Slightly concerning that Sibley and Crawley both looked a bit pants starting against spin though. One imagines Messrs Shastri and Kohli will have noted this too.
I saw those two stats too. I just wondered about the first time we've won 4 away on the bounce since 1957, as I thought we won a couple of tests in Bangladesh at the tail end of 2003 before winning 3 in the Caribbean in the spring of 2004. But maybe we lost in SL between those series. And I am old enough to remember the 1982 test; it was SL's inaugural test actually, which we were well on the way to royally ****ing up until they helpfully collapsed in their second innings to Emburey or Underwood.

Our openers in India may be an interesting one. India have much better quicks than SL of course, so it will be interesting to see how funky Kohli is with his opening bowlers.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Good win by England. piss poor from us.

Hoping that Dimuth, Lakmal, Kumara and DDS can return to the side for the next test.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Hoping that Dimuth, Lakmal, Kumara and DDS can return to the side for the next test.
How do they drop Thiri if Dimuth comes back? You think they'll drop Perera instead?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So this:

1. Karunaratne
2. Thirimanne
3. Perera
4. Mathews
5. Chandimal
6. de Silva
7. Dickwella
8. Hasaranga
9. Lakmal
10. Embuldeniya
11. Kumara

Pending injuries etc.

Father Time

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
"it will be interesting to see how funky Kohli is with his opening bowlers. "

Kohli might not be making the choices after whats happened in Brisbane!

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't get to see any of the match other than on highlights but a nice win for England. Was like a total inverse of our normal overseas tours - feels England have had a few matches in recent years which follow the template of 'rolled cheaply in the first innings, fight hard in the second but it's not quite enough.' Usually they're on the losing side though.

Root making big runs obviously a huge positive. Bairstow doing well in Sri Lanka again is nice I guess but I wouldn't trust him in the top order vs India if they have any sort of seam attack left fit to play us. Also a good sign that both Bess and Leach acknowledged themselves that they hadn't bowled particularly well despite taking a bag of wickets each and stressed they need to improve. Hopefully they find their rhythm in the next Test.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I didn't get to see any of the match other than on highlights but a nice win for England. Was like a total inverse of our normal overseas tours - feels England have had a few matches in recent years which follow the template of 'rolled cheaply in the first innings, fight hard in the second but it's not quite enough.' Usually they're on the losing side though.

Root making big runs obviously a huge positive. Bairstow doing well in Sri Lanka again is nice I guess but I wouldn't trust him in the top order vs India if they have any sort of seam attack left fit to play us. Also a good sign that both Bess and Leach acknowledged themselves that they hadn't bowled particularly well despite taking a bag of wickets each and stressed they need to improve. Hopefully they find their rhythm in the next Test.
I think the fact they were probably bowling at their best come the end of the Lankans 2nd innings, is a little encouraging. Lucky they were too, as not sure we'd have chased down 170 odd.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Kumara is released from the squad, Dimuth has finger fracture, so both of them are out. Awaiting on DDS.

chris.hinton

International Captain

First innings is what cost Sri Lanka. If they can be more competitive in the 2nd test it will be a lot closer then people may think

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It's amazing to think that SL are the unofficial 'lineal' test champions (using the beating the defending champs at home rule).
WI (74-95); AU (95-08); SA (08-09); AU (09-11); EN (11-12); SA (12-14); AU (14-16); SA (16-19); SL (19-)

Obviously none of the teams post Warne/McGrath have been genuinely great, but the current SL side sticks out like a sore thumb.