• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in Sri Lanka 2021

Spark

Global Moderator
SL really will wonder what might have been had they not **** the bed so thoroughly on Day 1.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Excellent win for England and sets up the second test and the India series very nicely if they also go in with a shout of making it to the WTC final.

Bijed

International Regular
Brain would not let me wake up at a normal time, had to know what had happened here as early as possible haha. Well done Bairstow and Lawrence for getting us there today with relatively few alarms.

Good match in the end, that one

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Honestly had some nerves when I awoke to check the score.

Root has won as many games as captain now as Strauss and Cook each did. Have to say that stat caught me off guard

Essexboi

Cricket Spectator
There's no way Bairstow doesn't play. Can see Sibley and Burns sitting it out, JB opening with Crawley and Pope/Lawrence batting at 3/6. Got to play our best players of spin and if that means shoehorning the lineup a little bit so be it. Moeen coming in at 8 (Bess will get eaten alive) would give us good depth. Still can't see us winning but we'll have a lot of players with experience of playing in India.

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
There's no way Bairstow doesn't play. Can see Sibley and Burns sitting it out, JB opening with Crawley and Pope/Lawrence batting at 3/6. Got to play our best players of spin and if that means shoehorning the lineup a little bit so be it. Moeen coming in at 8 (Bess will get eaten alive) would give us good depth. Still can't see us winning but we'll have a lot of players with experience of playing in India.
Pretty much this, depending on where Moeen's head space is at.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Brain would not let me wake up at a normal time, had to know what had happened here as early as possible haha. Well done Bairstow and Lawrence for getting us there today with relatively few alarms.

Good match in the end, that one
Me too. I woke up at 5.00am to find that the game was over. Rolled over and slept well again. Looking ahead to the next test, there's talk of resting Wood and Broad and playing Stone and Anderson instead. I get that, but the piece I read also talked about Pope replacing Bairstow or Lawrence, which makes no sense at all to me.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Root has won as many games as captain now as Strauss and Cook each did. Have to say that stat caught me off guard
I was surprised to read last summer that Root's win percentage is right up there with almost any England captain you could name. For all my occasional misgivings about how he handles his bowlers, he deserves a lot of credit for developing the collective culture and mentality of the side.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
I was surprised to read last summer that Root's win percentage is right up there with almost any England captain you could name.
Without wanting to be a huge downer on this front, one caveat is the fact that he's also lost a lot of matches too. What we've barely done at all under Root is draw matches - so both win and loss percentages considered in isolation are quite high.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was surprised to read last summer that Root's win percentage is right up there with almost any England captain you could name. For all my occasional misgivings about how he handles his bowlers, he deserves a lot of credit for developing the collective culture and mentality of the side.
The thing is we rarely draw now unless it is like the Pakistan games last summer that were basically washed out. We either win or lose and most of the time it is a stuffing either way.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Impressive co-ordination by RIS and FJ there, and fair points they are too. I just wonder whether that's changed a bit since Silverwood replaced Bayliss and we're actually trying to play test match cricket instead of a longer version of our white ball game. And I accept that's down to the coach as much as the captain, of course. Beyond that, I would still give Root credit for the way players have been able to come in and perform, often in tight situations. Lawrence a case in point here, but there are several others over the last few years. I'm old enough the remember when that wasn't the case at all.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In my mind Root is still quite a new captain but he has actually been there for a while now.

Anyway obviously Sri Lanka donated their first innings but any win away is a good one, especially with basically no preparation. I know Sri Lanka will look back on the first innings but England really should have got another 100 from the position they were in at one stage.