• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
I reckon among all the Saffers in county cricket, Kieswetter is the one they'll want back the most, they seem fairly desperate to avoid making AB take the gloves in the future (as they should be).

Anyone deluding themselves into thinking that this victory makes England the better all round side needs to seriously think again (just look at the stats), if SA turn up (in particular if a certain Dale Steyn turns up) they're going to murder Strauss and co. Steyn in SA could be the perfect bowler to KP too. SA lost their home series to Oz because apart from AB (he's so bloody good) no one else turned up for the first 2 tests, when they turned it on in the final test it was a massacre.

Spotted 3 weaknesses in Trott's game; big LBW candidate, similar to Bopara, Bell and sort of KP, they all get a long way across their stumps. Looks poor against spin, and Marcus North is hardly the most challenging spinner around, also didn't look comfortable against the short ball at all, didn't have a clue in some cases, takes his eye off the ball and freezes. With those in mind, don't think he'll have too long a career, or at least not a particularly great one.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Or perhaps even endear?

But surely some saffers will see him as a traitor.
Not really, most people here don't know who he is.. He isn't in the media like Pietersen although that will probably change.. Most people don't see Pietersen as a traitor, as thousands of SA's live and work abroad, they just see him as an arrogant ****..

I fail to believe how so much talent can be lost, and if England win the Ashes, SA will be number 1 ranked Test and ODI team in the world IIRC.. I reckon it will be a drawn series, 1-1

Langeveldt

Soutie
I doubt it. Kieswetter qualifies for England next year and last year during the tour game between South Africa and Somerset, he said he wanted to show South Africa what they are missing.
Plus I've seen the girl he's shagging in Taunton

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have a feeling Luke Wright might be a bit of a 'wildcard' pick. Has been in pretty good form with the bat over the last few months and his bowling seems to have come on a bit.
Cricinfo had an article the other day saying that Wright must go. Couldn't understand the reasoning myself. I've always liked him seemed to be one of the up and comers when I first began taking an interest in the County game, so since then I've back him. Not ready yet though.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Cricinfo had an article the other day saying that Wright must go. Couldn't understand the reasoning myself. I've always liked him seemed to be one of the up and comers when I first began taking an interest in the County game, so since then I've back him. Not ready yet though.
Surely there are better batsman and better bowlers available.. Poor man's Flintoff for mine

Scaly piscine

Spotted 3 weaknesses in Trott's game; big LBW candidate, similar to Bopara, Bell and sort of KP, they all get a long way across their stumps. Looks poor against spin, and Marcus North is hardly the most challenging spinner around, also didn't look comfortable against the short ball at all, didn't have a clue in some cases, takes his eye off the ball and freezes. With those in mind, don't think he'll have too long a career, or at least not a particularly great one.
Yea it's amazing Trott managed double figures given how he's clearly ****e. Obviously looking in total control on a pitch where Australia got bowled out for 160 was just a group hallucination.

Jarquis

Surely there are better batsman and better bowlers available.. Poor man's Flintoff for mine
Yeah, he's not there yet IMO though he will be one day. Definitely showing signs of development.

Personally I like Grecian's squad on page 2. My only question marks would surround Hildreth and Carberry. I'd probably have Key for Hildreth or Carberry depending on the latter's fitness.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yea it's amazing Trott managed double figures given how he's clearly ****e. Obviously looking in total control on a pitch where Australia got bowled out for 160 was just a group hallucination.
:laugh: too true Scaly

oitoitoi in 'England player is no good' shocker. get a ****ing grip oitoitoi, you're like a broken record

grecian

:laugh: too true Scaly

oitoitoi in 'England player is no good' shocker. get a ****ing grip oitoitoi, you're like a broken record
To be fair I'd of thought oitoitoi would of liked Trott, as he's not actually English. Yet it is quite stunning he can find so many deficiencies in such an astounding debut.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It would be quite stunning normally, but I'm actually not surprised at all. When Broad bowled that spell yesterday he posted in the match thread saying he was still **** and SA would cane him, or something.

If a member of the England cricket team saved oitoitoi's life, he'd find fault with the way they did it

Briony

International Debutant
It's top drawer in both places
I heard Smith has been seen with a stunner in recent times which breaks a drought. You would imagine England has much more depth on this front though.

Just on Keiswetter, why do Saffers leave so early? Surely they need to give the selectors some chance. It's a wonder the likes of North and Hussey didn't go over to England and follow the KP route. Surely they were more entitled to. KP and co. seem to expect to be playing for their country when they're barely out of nappies.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just on Keiswetter, why do Saffers leave so early? Surely they need to give the selectors some chance. It's a wonder the likes of North and Hussey didn't go over to England and follow the KP route. Surely they were more entitled to. KP and co. seem to expect to be playing for their country when they're barely out of nappies.
Kieswetter's a British passport holder thanks to his mum being Scottish, so he always had the option to play and live over here. In fact I think he completed his education at Millfield, so I would imagine his decision was partly economics and partly family.

I think I'm right in saying that neither North nor Hussey hold UK or EU citizenship so, as Aussies, never had the option to play here as non-overseas players. Of current (ish) Australian players Symonds & Jaques both played over here as non-overseas players previously (both are UK passport holders), but refused to commit themselves to England, so had to give up their status.

One ex-Aussie Under-19 player who is now plying his trade up here is Middlesex's Sam Robson so it's not just young South Africans who make the jump.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I heard Smith has been seen with a stunner in recent times which breaks a drought. You would imagine England has much more depth on this front though.

His parents moved over to England so I don't think he had much of a say, I used to go to a rival school.. I'd imagine a move to England would be a result of escaping the crime rate and making more money than they would here, and they had a talented cricketing son..

Langeveldt

Soutie
What confuses me about Trott is everyone seems to be having a go about his technique, saying he is a legside player and yadda yadda.. Isn't that a good thing? You have to score your runs somewhere, and Smith and Pietersen have made careers out of basically hoiking everything to leg

King Pietersen

International Captain
I'm hoping Collingwood retires from Test cricket after the Ashes. I wouldn't have him on the plane to SA for the Test series, think his time has passed. My 15 man squad would be:

1. Andrew Strauss *
2. Rob Key
3. Ian Bell
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Jonathan Trott
6. Ravi Bopara
7. Matt Prior +
8. Stuart Broad
9. Graeme Swann
10. James Anderson
11. Graham Onions

12. Ryan Sidebottom
13. James Hildreth
14. James Foster
15. Adil Rashid

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Andrew Strauss*
Alastair Cook
Kevin Pietersen
Jonathan Trott
Paul Collingwood
Matthew Prior+
Stuart Broad
Graeme Swann
Ryan Sidebottom
Jimmy Anderson
Graham Onions

Rob Key
Michael Carberry
James Foster
Steve Harmison
Monty Panesar

Pothas

Pretty sure Rashid will go although he may not play. Would like to see Carberry be given a go but I fear that him breaking his finger this week may have put pay to his chances.