• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

JTemperance

Cricket Spectator
There was a time when we had the top 7 basically all averaging 40 plus.
Yup, the settled batting line-up of Strauss, Cook, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Collingwood and Prior with each averaging over 40 does look like a little golden age. They never beat South Africa though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
They did draw in SA the one time they all playing against SA though.

Trott and Prior didn't play in 2008 and Collingwood was gone by 2012.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Yup, the settled batting line-up of Strauss, Cook, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Collingwood and Prior with each averaging over 40 does look like a little golden age. They never beat South Africa though.
Had we had the likes of a Ponting, Sangakkara, Younus or Hussey that side would have stayed no.1 until 2013-14.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All over before tea I think.

I think that a draw is actually the least likely result unless it rains a lot tomorrow as if they play 98 overs tomorrow we will probably score 330 in the day not that we will last more than 50 in all honesty.

Hope Rabada gets his 10, young man has been brilliant.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Good position for SA. Unfortunate with the missed stumping. Thought the umpires were wrong and light was good for the seamers.

Also what a shocking review from compton. Almost as bad as the time when broad punched the ball to silly point and reviewed.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Kylo Ren?

Ian Bells glorious return to the England side is beckoning
Dunno about that. Today was only the 2nd time in the series when I'd have backed Bell to score more runs than Compton had managed, and the other occasion was virtually irrelevant at the end of the 3rd test. As silly as he looked today, I think he's probably done enough to stay in the side.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Wait until he fails to call him overrated, classic.
I called him out as over-rated before he got a pair, thank you.

I'll stand by it as well. He's a good player but he's also over-rated as **** as a Test batsman. Could easily reel off a list of 10 contemporaries who I'd rather have playing for me in Tests than de Villiers.

burr

State Vice-Captain
I know they're going to lose the series but I'd be quite excited if I was a South African fan. They are an immensely watchable side. The style and class of Amla, ABDV and Steyn, the emerging talents of Bavuma, Rabada, de Kock. Can't wait to see more of them in Aus this summer.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I'll stand by it as well. He's a good player but he's also over-rated as **** as a Test batsman. Could easily reel off a list of 10 contemporaries who I'd rather have playing for me in Tests than de Villiers.
Well, overrated is kind of a weird word since it means something different to everyone but yeah, I never rated him quite as highly as others on here. I've always considered Amla a level above, for example.

His last 2 years or so have been phenomenal though, especially the way he batted vs Johnson. Will always remember that.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

Well, overrated is kind of a weird word since it means something different to everyone but yeah, I never rated him quite as highly as others on here. I've always considered Amla a level above, for example.

His last 2 years or so have been phenomenal though, especially the way he batted vs Johnson. Will always remember that.
I rate Amla higher than AB because he does more with his natural talent and I think his mindset is better. We win more games when Amla plays well than when AB does. I think that the overrated word for AB is because he is so naturally talented that he has probably under-performed when considering his abilities. For me there is still not many batsmen in the world better than him, or has a consistent ability to take a game away from the opposition before they know it, which makes him a big wicket. However the next 5 years (provided he continues to play) will determine his ultimate peg in the echelon of great batsmen. As it stands he is a top class but has not been consistently good enough, if he starts consistently producing winning innings for SA then maybe this will change.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I have no problem even if players like AB, McCullum, Kohli and even the great Sir Viv are overrated. In fact, it is a good thing imo. If good/very good/great batsmen with tremendous aggression are overrated, that will make test cricket more popular in general. After Kohli became India's test captain, I supported that move not only because he was the best alternative but also because that'd make test cricket more popular in a country like India where (unlike England) people are obsessed with shorter formats of the game.