• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Athlai

Not Terrible
Remember the days when Finn was just gifted all his wickets and he was pretty average?

Those were good times.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
It is looking largely academic as I think the selectors will make the right call and go with 4 seamers. I'm personally salivating about Southee and Boult at Eden Park if there's a touch of humidity.
if the first 3 seamers can't do their jobs, what will a 4th do? If Southee were out I might agree that 4 seamers to cover but Southee, Boult and Bracewell are our best and can take 20 wickets. Them plus Martin as the spinner is a good attack (not great, but good).

Athlai

Not Terrible
Utter bull****. Why the **** should we even bother to use technology if we're simply not going to trust it. Well there was a sound there, we don't know where it came from, nothing else including the batsman's impression seem to indicate he hit that. Ah **** it I don't know lets just give him out.

No. The technology said there was no reason for him to be out. **** off.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I may be wrong, but I actually thought hot-spot showed a small mark on the inside edge on that first replay, then they didn't show it again.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
That was the correct decision IMO.

Might have been out. Might not have been. Doubt went the umpires way.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I may be wrong, but I actually thought hot-spot showed a small mark on the inside edge on that first replay, then they didn't show it again.
I thought there was something at the bottom of the bat. But I didn't think it was conclusively ball on bat.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Utter bull****. Why the **** should we even bother to use technology if we're simply not going to trust it. Well there was a sound there, we don't know where it came from, nothing else including the batsman's impression seem to indicate he hit that. Ah **** it I don't know lets just give him out.

No. The technology said there was no reason for him to be out. **** off.
Don't be silly, the fact it, it was given out by the umpire, the sound means that can't be definitely wrong, so no reason to change the decision.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Noise can be anything, we have no idea where the noise came from just knowledge that the noise happened at a time where the ball was around the bat.

The technology we have in place is to see if the camera can show the ball hitting the bat, and failing clear evidence there we use hotspot to show any sign of the bat clearing hitting the ball.

Noise is what the wicket was given for but it was by no means conclusive evidence of anything at all. There was no sign of bat hitting ball and thats what a caught wicket needs to be given on.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
But the way they treat hotspot, will there ever be enough evidence?
Hot spot showing an edge can be pretty definitive.
It comes into its own in terms of inside edges in LBW decisions.

But absence of an edge is not definitive enough. There have been clear cases where hotspot has not shown an edge when there has certainly been one.

It's a tool that can be used in combination with other tools.