• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Of course they did. The logic of selecting 4 average spin bowlers on any pitch is baffling to say the least. Unless you had the quality of Chandra, Bedi, Prasanna and Venkat. And quite possibly worse than picking Bresnan for this game quite frankly.
Bresnan was the best choice available.

tooextracool

International Coach
Bresnan was the best choice available.
No. On this pitch Onions would have sliced and diced his way through India. Bresnan has been substandard for a while now.

One has to question where the current management seems to rate Onions at this point. If someone who was dropped earlier in the series for not being good enough is playing ahead of him, despite having the kind of conditions that are overwhelmingly in his favor.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Will be the first time since 1983 India would have lost 3 tests at home. And that was against the mighty West Indies team.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
No. On this pitch Onions would have sliced and diced his way through India.
Nothing I've ever seen from Onions bowling has suggested that to me. He seems very overated on this site.

Bresnan has often bowled well on very flat pitches and also frequently gets movement with an old ball.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's not often I agree with Botham, but he said Meaker was his shout before the game.

Think I could've been persuaded, actually. Faster bowler than both Bresnan and Onions and a better batsman than Onions too. I think with his trajectory (all three bowl a similar line, tbf) and extra pace he could've done more on this deck than we've seen from Bresnan so far.

It was interesting to note his speed gun measurements too; in his initial burst he was around 82-4mph but by the close down around 77-8mph, whereas Anderson was up and around 85mph throughout.

I really think he's lost a yard since his elbow probs.

Hope he proves me wrong tomorrow by reversing the old nut round corners.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
It's not often I agree with Botham, but he said Meaker was his shout before the game.

Think I could've been persuaded, actually. Faster bowler than both Bresnan and Onions and a better batsman than Onions too. I think with his trajectory (all three bowl a similar line, tbf) and extra pace he could've done more on this deck than we've seen from Bresnan so far.

It was interesting to note his speed gun measurements too; in his initial burst he was around 82-4mph but by the close down around 77-8mph, whereas Anderson was up and around 85mph throughout.

I really think he's lost a yard since his elbow probs.

Hope he proves me wrong tomorrow by reversing the old nut round corners.
I thought it was more of a case of reading the situation.

Batsmen under pressure at the end of the day, deny them runs, bowl a good line with some swing, low bounce now and then. The best you can do is survive.

Meaker's one 'problem' is he's not a tall bowler - plenty of pace though. I suspect the selctors don't think him quite 'ready'.

Finn would have been very tough here on days 3 and 4 I reckon.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
BB I agree with you, I love Bresnan but it has got to the stage now where he should be dropped and I wouldn't take him to NZ. Let him have an op if he needs one and then get fully fit and firing for Yorkshire in Division 1. If he has totally lost the extra nip then sadly his test career looks over. Maybe the NZ tour is a chance to look at Woakes?

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
If we lose this somehow I feel I should tell you that it's clearly your fault cos you left India must have cost a bob or two mind.