• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Owzat

U19 Captain
Probably as a result of having fewer FC teams, and also having played less Tests (over 200).

And maybe having fewer ****e periods when you go through loads trying to find someone of Test standard.
Curtis
Smith (Mike)
Stephenson
Rankin
Lathwell
Blakey
Hollioake A
Hollioake B
Foster J
Watkinson
Schofield
Vince
Ambrose
Read
Shah
Salisbury
Tudor
Bicknell M
Adams
Mallender
Martin P
Lewis J
Williams
Ansari
Udal
Taylor (James)
Taylor (Paul)
Saggers
Pattinson
Newport
Childs
Morris A
Morris J
Lawrence (DV)
Kabir Ali
Johnson
Igglesden
Hegg
Ormond
Rhodes
Habib
Ealham
Brown S
Batty
Blackwell

What is that? not complete list but certainly sums up an era about 1988 to 2008 give or take where players were picked almost for having a half decent season and dumped fairly quickly

That isn't even tapping into the ones who made something of a career, isn't to say all were godawful but if someone gave out sweets to kids like (England) selectors give out caps to cricketers they'd be arrested

must be quite a few retired county stalwarts wondering why they didn't get a Test call up/cap, England must have more 1-3 cap "wonders" than some countries have all time cricketers! (excluding Ireland and Afghanistan, that would be a gimme)

Chin Music

State 12th Man
It's certainly legitimate to criticise the way England batted collectively in the first innings, and also to question Root's approach given his form so far this series. That said, nearly all the main batters have shown signs of not being overawed of the conditions/opposition which is a stark contrast to many a series in India.

Molehill

International Captain
In the 20 Bazball Tests, Root has 5 tons (out of 30 - 137 Tests) and an average of 52.6 (3 runs higher than his career). He's also picked up 20 wickets (total career only 65) at 3.5 runs better average than his career. This obviously doesn't include the 5-8 either.

It might be painful for us to watch him at times, but he's actually doing better under Stokes than he has his entire career.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
In the 20 Bazball Tests, Root has 5 tons (out of 30 - 137 Tests) and an average of 52.6 (3 runs higher than his career). He's also picked up 20 wickets (total career only 65) at 3.5 runs better average than his career. This obviously doesn't include the 5-8 either.

It might be painful for us to watch him at times, but he's actually doing better under Stokes than he has his entire career.
I think part of it is just people having higher expectations of root? Before bazball he was making 100's for fun and averaging 60+ over a decent sample wasn't he? If where going off overall career he's improved, not the same if you use a smaller reference.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Bazball is more a state of mind than a batting technique.
Yep. The state of mind: "I don't care if I get out slogging, it's just the way I play and it's more fun than blocking anyways. Plus it's the team plan and I can have a beer with the lads afterwards and they'll tell me great job mate ya showed the right intent out there"

ataraxia

International Coach
It's certainly legitimate to criticise the way England batted collectively in the first innings, and also to question Root's approach given his form so far this series. That said, nearly all the main batters have shown signs of not being overawed of the conditions/opposition which is a stark contrast to many a series in India.
This is basically akin to criticising the batting ideology of Bazball: the whole point is that if in trouble, hit out. Yes, it's not a great idea for Root in particular, despite it working for Crawley, Pope, et al., but it's very difficult to retain the same clear vision as has catapulted England from worst to best while your senior batter is eschewing aggressive batting and buckling down.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
This is basically akin to criticising the batting ideology of Bazball: the whole point is that if in trouble, hit out. Yes, it's not a great idea for Root in particular, despite it working for Crawley, Pope, et al., but it's very difficult to retain the same clear vision as has catapulted England from worst to best while your senior batter is eschewing aggressive batting and buckling down.
Root didn't go out their and hit out cause bazball, he did it because his thumb/hand was ****ed and he didn't trust his defense. Smith did the same thing in the 2019 ashes after jofra smacked him in the head the second time.

Molehill

International Captain
I think part of it is just people having higher expectations of root? Before bazball he was making 100's for fun and averaging 60+ over a decent sample wasn't he? If where going off overall career he's improved, not the same if you use a smaller reference.
He had a hot period in Sri Lanka and then the First Test in India in 2021 where he could basically do no wrong. But he was also carrying the batting, if he failed, England failed. Fortunately, it's not like that now. Runs are coming from elsewhere and the team are not reliant on him. That's maybe where you could suggest that he rein it in at times before he's set. But the stats kind of justify the method anyway.

Man, I still have nightmares over that First Ashes Test declaration - he was absolutely seeing it like a football.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Root didn't go out their and hit out cause bazball, he did it because his thumb/hand was ****ed and he didn't trust his defense. Smith did the same thing in the 2019 ashes after jofra smacked him in the head the second time.
Wonder if he might miss the next test, nothing has been said, bit like Leach after his injury.

Molehill

International Captain
Wonder if he might miss the next test, nothing has been said, bit like Leach after his injury.
Sounds as though Leach is still a major doubt and unlikely to play. That would give England the opportunity to play a second seamer if they want instead of Bashir.

No idea on Root, although think I read that Lawrence was the only one who would be playing cricket in Abu Dhabi (some Franchise thing). That would suggest they're not wrapping him in cotton wool as protection for Root.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
It is more that Root can score quickly enough playing a more orthodox way of playing rather than the more 'funky' way others might approach it. I don't think it is eschewing 'Bazball' per say if he plays more conventionally to his strengths that still scores quick enough.