• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
It's amusing how the haters pick lines out of interviews to suit their own standpoint.

At the moment, England's spinners have taken 33 wickets at 33.9 whilst India have 23 at 38.4. The difference really is Bumrah, if England can see him off more often than not (clearly easier said than done) then it would appear they can score runs against the others.

And this is why a little bit of common sense thrown into the Bazball madness can still make improvements on where we've got to.

But haters gonna hate no matter what.....
Stokes probably deserves a bit of credit for this, tbf. From the period's of play i've seen for either side, england's spinner's have definitely delivered more loose balls then there indian counterpart's, stokes has just done a better job as a captain by putting fielders in the right places for the spinners. The shubman gill dismissal in the 4th innings of the 1st test is a classic example of this. I can't think of another captain who would have had that fielder in at that point in the innings (The indian batsmen have also just hit a few bad balls to fielders, ashwin and bharat in the 1st innings of this test are a good example of that, but that's besides the point).

Molehill

International Captain
Stokes probably deserves a bit of credit for this, tbf. From the period's of play i've seen for either side, england's spinner's have definitely delivered more loose balls then there indian counterpart's, stokes has just done a better job as a captain by putting fielders in the right places for the spinners. The shubman gill dismissal in the 4th innings of the 1st test is a classic example of this. I can't think of another captain who would have had that fielder in at that point in the innings (The indian batsmen have also just hit a few bad balls to fielders, ashwin and bharat in the 1st innings of this test are a good example of that, but that's besides the point).
Yeah, he somehow does attacking and defensive at the same time. England edged a few wide of slip, yet Stokes somehow had a second slip in to pick up a couple.

I'm sure India will go on to win this series, but the level of competitiveness shown by this England team has surprised me (cue utter demolition in the next 3).

Socerer 01

International Captain
yeah this series is an indictment of Rohit the test captain if anything

Molehill

International Captain
I hadn't realised that Anderson and Bashir were exactly 100 apart in the players capped by England at 613 and 713. 513 btw was Les Taylor (2 caps) who must be one of the few English players to have a 100% winning record in Tests, both of which were against Australia in 1985.

Surprised the BBC haven't done one of their quizzes getting us to name the 99 players between Jimmy and Shoaib.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I hadn't realised that Anderson and Bashir were exactly 100 apart in the players capped by England at 613 and 713. 513 btw was Les Taylor (2 caps) who must be one of the few English players to have a 100% winning record in Tests, both of which were against Australia in 1985.

Surprised the BBC haven't done one of their quizzes getting us to name the 99 players between Jimmy and Shoaib.
So it was 18 years between Les and Jimmy and 20/21 years between Jimmy and Shoaib

Chin Music

State 12th Man

Surely you should go and try and get that on sporcle! They struggle with having too many good cricket quizzes there.

Last edited:

mackembhoy

International Debutant

I think they just pull it off Sporcle. But here is that quiz if anyone wants to take a stab.

Anthony McGrath who is cap 614 must have made his debut in the same game as Jimmy and is missing from the list, just as an FYI

England Test debutants between Anderson and Bashir Quiz - By Wisden2020 (sporcle.com)

Molehill

International Captain
713 players have played Test Cricket for England. But only 466 have played for Australia in the same period
Probably as a result of having fewer FC teams, and also having played less Tests (over 200).

And maybe having fewer ****e periods when you go through loads trying to find someone of Test standard.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, he somehow does attacking and defensive at the same time. England edged a few wide of slip, yet Stokes somehow had a second slip in to pick up a couple.

I'm sure India will go on to win this series, but the level of competitiveness shown by this England team has surprised me (cue utter demolition in the next 3).
There won't be any demolitions in this series...I expected it to be competitive and I think it will be a dog fight until the end. England has a solid chance to win the series. It's primarily Indian bowling vs England batting in these conditions and England will continue to be favorites in any high pressure situations.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its honestly the weakest Indian side I think we have put out since the early 2000s at home. England should absolutely fancy themselves here.

EDIT - added the "at home" bit.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Its honestly the weakest Indian side I think we have put out since the early 2000s. England should absolutely fancy themselves here.

I think this may be worse (bowling is garbage, batting was better)

Well past it Harbhajan
Varun ****ing Aaron
Amit Mehshra
Not yet good Ishant

Kohli, Dhawan, Rahane and Ashwin were the only good players. KL and Rohit were there too but they were noob versions.

Molehill

International Captain
Its honestly the weakest Indian side I think we have put out since the early 2000s. England should absolutely fancy themselves here.
Whilst Bumrah is in the side and in this level of form, it can't be the weakest. But if England can get through his spells, then there's definitely runs on offer elsewhere.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

I think this may be worse (bowling is garbage, batting was better)

Well past it Harbhajan
Varun ****ing Aaron
Amit Mehshra
Not yet good Ishant

Kohli, Dhawan, Rahane and Ashwin were the only good players. KL and Rohit were there too but they were noob versions.
Yeah but it was away. I meant home. I see now I did not specify it in the original post. :) My bad.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah there are worse bowling attacks we've fielded I think but this batting is pretty diabolical

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So it was 18 years between Les and Jimmy and 20/21 years between Jimmy and Shoaib
An absolutely horrendous number of the Les to Jimmy 100 would have made their fist appearances in 1986, 1988 or 1989, when the selectors completely lost their marbles.