• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nothing against India as a country but England seem to have been there forever and must be happy to be going home

Burner

International Regular
Corrected
Yeah fair call.

Whatever that Root has is a problem. I thought that his issues of not converting would go away after a period but it isn't going away. On the one hand he's scored a half-century every test, odi and at least a 30 every t20. That is remarkable consistency and yet there is not a single match-defining innings among them. It is truly bizzare as well, in the t20s at least, after going at a good clip, he just suddenly stalls, almost as though he's hit a wall.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Too many morons thinking they can smash sixes from ball 1.

It may have been a great batting pitch, but you pretty much always have to play your way in.
Can't agree with this. Mate, it's T20......the whole game is about morons trying to club 6's from ball 1!

Look at the end of the day it's not always gonna come off and work, but im not gonna sit here and criticize our batsmen who have made England the most watchable limited overs side getting around for the last 18 months. And that coming from the most unwatchable side for the past 30 years!!.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't agree with this. Mate, it's T20......the whole game is about morons trying to club 6's from ball 1!

Look at the end of the day it's not always gonna come off and work, but im not gonna sit here and criticize our batsmen who have made England the most watchable limited overs side getting around for the last 18 months. And that coming from the most unwatchable side for the past 30 years!!.
If you can't criticise them after losing 8 for 8 then when can you criticise them? I'm all for showing our players a bit of leeway, especially in this format where aggression actually is important, but that doesn't extend to quite such a humiliating performance all the way down.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yeah fair call.

Whatever that Root has is a problem. I thought that his issues of not converting would go away after a period but it isn't going away. On the one hand he's scored a half-century every test, odi and at least a 30 every t20. That is remarkable consistency and yet there is not a single match-defining innings among them. It is truly bizzare as well, in the t20s at least, after going at a good clip, he just suddenly stalls, almost as though he's hit a wall.
Slogged Mishra first ball and almost got caught, which prompted him to unsuccessfully nudge the ball into gaps on the off-side. Just doesn't have the ability to slog himself out of a dry spell. Maybe he should switch places in the line up with one of the openers?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Both England and NZ got absolutely cooked on their last game of the tour here. Just wanted out,and proceeded to bat in a disgraceful manner accordingly

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
This is the worst 8-wicket collapse in T20 history and the second worst in all forms of cricket after NZ in 1946 (5 runs). Source: cricinfo

I am surprised there has not been similar collapses before except for one.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Both England and NZ got absolutely cooked on their last game of the tour here. Just wanted out,and proceeded to bat in a disgraceful manner accordingly

Nah NZ were not even close to winning when their lollapse started. England were actually in a very decent position with momentum when theirs started. Plus, the England ODI side is quite different to the test one and they had come off the Xmas break as well. So dont think any physical or mental fatigue caused this implosion. It was just Joe Root. :p

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
An overreaction a bit, guys are walking out there needing more than two a ball from the start. It's the type of thing that happens after losing two quick ones needing 12+ an over, and there's no net run rate to come into play like a normal T20 event.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
If you can't criticise them after losing 8 for 8 then when can you criticise them? I'm all for showing our players a bit of leeway, especially in this format where aggression actually is important, but that doesn't extend to quite such a humiliating performance all the way down.
Yeah fair call, 8 for 8 is pretty high on the embarrassing lolapses. But you can't get a boner for some of the scores this side has been putting up of late and then slam them when they go hard and it doesn't pay off. And Spark is dead right when you're needing 12 an over there isn't time to play yourself in and build an innings........so I do think Compton was off base with his comment.

It's funny though isn't it......an England side of old would have probably ended up 50 runs short with 4 or 5 wickets still in the shed and we'd all be going ape ****. Not happy with 8 for 8 but I'd still rather go down having a crack.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Agree with Adders above. It was a bit embarrassing but its a better embarrassment when your side goes down this way than with wickets hand and about 40-50 runs short.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Eh I get your point, but it doesn't have to be one or the other. You can be criticised for not having the right attitude/tactics, and you can also be criticised for having the right attitude/tactics but being utterly **** at executing it. 8 for 8 is inexcusable every day of the week.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dont think anyone is disagreeing with that, Joni. Now post more reguarly so that Virat can get back to being the run machine. :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If no one is disagreeing, then why is it even a discussion? England fans are slagging off their team for losing 8 for 8, which they have every right to be upset about. "At least they tried to win" isn't exactly going to make them feel better.

Its like a mate of yours stealing from you, and someone says "yeah well at least they didn't bang your girlfriend"

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
:laugh: @ your example.. If you read what Adders and Vic were saying, it is embarassing but it won't have been made any better by them playing in a different way. Again, I dont think anyone is arguing that their execution was ****. Its just that its better than their exection and thought process both being ****.