• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in Australia (2 T20 & 7 ODIs)

pup11

International Coach
Do these Australian selectors live on a different planet or something, because what the hell are they going to learn about a player through a single ODI game...!?
We should have been clear by now about who are the guys that are gonna be playing in the worldcup, but using this one game as some sort of worldcup audition is just lame.
Anyways both surprised and happy to see Dussey and Haurrie back in the team, hopefully they don't get dumped straight after this game, having said that don't know why Ferguson and Christian aren't there in the squad, either of them could have come in for Siddle who is just a waste in the shorter formats.
My team for the 1st ODI would be something like this:
Watto
Clarke
Haddin
Dussey
White
Mussey
Smith
Johnson
Hauritz
Lee
Tait

Mike5181

International Captain
Lee, Tait in Australian ODI squad for England

Wouldn't open with Clarke

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
My ideal Australian team
1. Shane Watson
2. Brad Haddin+
3. Michael Clarke
4. Michael Hussey
5. David Hussey
6. Cameron White
7. Steven Smith
8. Mitchell Johnson
9. Nathan Hauritz
10. Brett Lee
11. Shaun Tait

Spark

Global Moderator
Do these Australian selectors live on a different planet or something, because what the hell are they going to learn about a player through a single ODI game...!?
We should have been clear by now about who are the guys that are gonna be playing in the worldcup, but using this one game as some sort of worldcup audition is just lame.
Anyways both surprised and happy to see Dussey and Haurrie back in the team, hopefully they don't get dumped straight after this game, having said that don't know why Ferguson and Christian aren't there in the squad, either of them could have come in for Siddle who is just a waste in the shorter formats.
My team for the 1st ODI would be something like this:
Watto
Clarke
Haddin
Dussey
White
Mussey
Smith
Johnson
Hauritz
Lee
Tait
Rationale for opening with Clarke and not Haddin? I know Clarke has done it earlier in his career with some success, but Watson/Haddin seems to work pretty well...

Hussey at #4 IMO. With Clarke up top he's best suited for the work-singles-during-the-boring-middle-overs role and leave White/Dussey/Smith to bash at the end.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No Marsh, no Ferguson...no Hodge. I can't say I'm surprised about the latter, but Marsh did kinda just make 85 off 44 or something like that.

Good to see Dussey still around though.
No point picking Marsh as he is in career best form and would probably just score runs

No point picking Ferguson as he might fail (as in the Oz A game) and the selectors would then cop flack for putting him in the WC squad

No point picking Hodge as no-one likes a bad winner

Good to see Johnston being rewarded for his consistent Ashes form as well and Siddle for his good ODI record

In summary, nothing more than you'd expect from our selectors

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No point picking Marsh as he is in career best form and would probably just score runs

No point picking Ferguson as he might fail (as in the Oz A game) and the selectors would then cop flack for putting him in the WC squad

No point picking Hodge as no-one likes a bad winner

Good to see Johnston being rewarded for his consistent Ashes form as well and Siddle for his good ODI record

In summary, nothing more than you'd expect from our selectors
:laugh:

robinjr

School Boy/Girl Captain
Xavier D'oh is beta than Hauritz as far as OD cricket is concern.Left arm darters are very hard to score runs of specialy in the 2nd innings

here's me team from that chosen lot

Watson
Haddin
Clarke
Dussey
White
Mussey
Smith
Lee
Tait
D'oh
Bollinger

no Mitch there either for Lee is as good as Johnson with the bat and certinaly a better bowler by street..

Spark

Global Moderator
Hauritz is a good LO bowler IMO. Did pretty well during the 7(6)-match series in India in 09

Howe_zat

Audio File
If he does well in the T20, what about O'Keefe for the ODI side? Could be a valuable fielder and lower-order batsman too, certainly more so than Doherty.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If he does well in the T20, what about O'Keefe for the ODI side? Could be a valuable fielder and lower-order batsman too, certainly more so than Doherty.
O'Keefe's bowling in one day cricket has really never been very good at all tbh. Has all the tools so I'm not quite sure why.

Spark

Global Moderator
I honestly can't tell yet. Doherty looks a clever bowler but geez he had some luck down in Melbourne. I don't think you'll see Mahela Jayawardene missing too many more straight balls.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I honestly can't tell yet. Doherty looks a clever bowler but geez he had some luck down in Melbourne. I don't think you'll see Mahela Jayawardene missing too many more straight balls.
It was all a conspiracy to get Malinga on strike. :ph34r:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't watch the PM match and am unsure what the consensus on this guy is, but he looks no faster than 125kph, to me.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
When you've all finished spaffing over Ian Bell...

---

Squad Shane Watson, Brad Haddin (wk), Michael Clarke (capt), Cameron White, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Steven Smith, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Hauritz, Brett Lee, Xavier Doherty, Peter Siddle, Shaun Tait, Doug Bollinger.

Nice to see Ritz's anonymity doesn't extend to ODIs.
Dussey finally when he's in dire form :laugh: Gotta love the selectors.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Watson
Haddin
Clarke
White
Dussey
Mussey
Smith
Johnson
Hauritz
Lee
Tait

That looking like the likely Australia XI? Little harsh on Ruggeh, but seeing Tait, Lee and Johnson bowling as a unit would be pretty damn awesome, especially if Tait bowls like he did in England. Could potentially drop Hauritz, leave the spinning duties to Smith and Dussey and bring Dougeh in, but Hauritz has had Strauss in trouble in the past and is a more than handy ODi player, so I could understand it if they went with him. The above team would be the XI I'd go for anyway.