• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official Cricketweb Horseracing thread **

ripper868

International Coach
When I was a young kid, 2 years ago in Grade 6, I was a part of the ignorant masses, times have changed though, let me tell you...

Athlai

Not Terrible
Mum put a bet on Shocking because she liked the name. Apparently HER mum used to say 'shocking' a lot or something.

Luck of the Irish really.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I can't understand the hype behind Shocking. Was beaten comfortably by Alcopop in the Herbert Power - it's just the fact he won the Lexus that he's back in people's calculations. He's half a kilo worse off than when the last time they both met. That said, he'll probably come out and win...
Told ya. :cool:

Last edited:

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I just witnessed one of the most amazing races from a horse who will no doubt go down as one of the Greats of US racing...

Zenyata a mare who prior to today had 13 wins from 13 starts has won the Breeders Cup Classic in what can only be described as an amazing performance..

I had given up hope of winning with around 300-400 to go, but words cannot describe the finish as she blew the field away as she became the 1st ever mare to win the classic.

So a record of 14 wins from 14 starts.. She will definatley go down as a GREAT!!!

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just saw a replay of that. What a great mare.

Speaking of great horses...well, it might be too soon to say that, but have a look at this:

YouTube - 2009 New Zealand 2000 Guineas
Then, seven days later, YouTube - 2009 New Zealand 1000 Guineas

It's not unusual for horses to race twice in a week and win twice in a week, but the 2000 and 1000 Guineas are two of the biggest, toughest and most important races on the NZ thoroughbred calendar.

I honestly rate this the greatest feat I've ever been lucky enough to be at a racetrack to witness.

Bobisback

International Regular
I just witnessed one of the most amazing races from a horse who will no doubt go down as one of the Greats of US racing...

Zenyata a mare who prior to today had 13 wins from 13 starts has won the Breeders Cup Classic in what can only be described as an amazing performance..

I had given up hope of winning with around 300-400 to go, but words cannot describe the finish as she blew the field away as she became the 1st ever mare to win the classic.

So a record of 14 wins from 14 starts.. She will definatley go down as a GREAT!!!
Just watched that race on a youtube clip, amazing run. Though now I have seen two American gallop races, and both of them a horse as came from the back and ran past the other horses as if they werent there. Does that happen alot over there, or is it just a coincidence?

_Ed_

It is a bit more common there than in other places - American races are run at a ridiculously fast pace from the start, and that effort really takes its toll at the end. Whoever's still running goes way ahead of all the exhausted horses that have basically stopped.

In our part of the world and in Europe, races are run more slowly and horses' best efforts are saved for the end of the race. That often leads to closer and more competitive finishes.

_Ed_

I don't know how the Levin Classic can justify its Group 1 status. Eileen Dubh and St Germaine, 17th and 5th behind Katie Lee in the 1000 Guineas respectively, had the race all to themselves today.

What would Katie Lee have done to that bunch of horses?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So, Victoria has banned hunt racing. I know steeplechase isn't as serious down these ways, but will the day ever come where the Grand National is banned due to the animal protection league, I wonder?

_Ed_

I've made my opinion of the Grand National clear several times, so I'll just say I wouldn't miss it. I don't think there's much merit in a race where it's a news story if there are no fatalities.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
It's an interesting situation now with South Australia the only state with jumps racing in Aussie - surely the jumps industry can't survive there, considering South Australian racing is in a fragile state most of the time.

On a brighter note, the field for Sunday's Miracle Mile is ****ing awesome. They should go under 1.51 and I wouldn't be surprised if they got close to 1.50.

cover drive man

International Captain
It's an interesting situation now with South Australia the only state with jumps racing in Aussie - surely the jumps industry can't survive there, considering South Australian racing is in a fragile state most of the time.

On a brighter note, the field for Sunday's Miracle Mile is ****ing awesome. They should go under 1.51 and I wouldn't be surprised if they got close to 1.50.
What does that mean?

Also, good to see Denman back at his best:)