• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Season 2008/09

Redbacks

International Captain
I've never really rated Cleary too highly. He's a nice bloke though :).
Nor do I in the 4-day game, I was going to say similar but looking at his career record of 124 wickets @ 33 isn't too bad given alot of bowling in Adelaide for what has been a mediocre team for a while also. His action doens't look all that condusive to consistent enough bowling to get his average down below 30+

I'm dissapointed Rofe has gone somewhat off the boil, if he could reproduce his best form it would be handy to have a stuart clark like option in our side.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Vics all out with a huge 220 run 1st innings lead. Four wickets to ****ley, not a bad effort, three to Casson.

NSW going to have to bat their arses off to save this one.

Lordeman

Cricket Spectator
Doran a good bowler and as good if not better then most spinners in Australia. He just never gets a bowl. There is a reason why he kept Hauritz out of the Queensland side, who from attacking POV isn't bowling much better then he was back then.

IMO if he got a decent bowl he would be close to being the 2nd best spinner in Australia behind McGain. Massive call but he can take good wickets and doesn't bowl as many four balls as Bailey, Casson and Crazy.
Hadn't Hauritz already left by the time Doran came through? IIRC, it was Simpson that pushed and kept Horrie out of the side.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nor do I in the 4-day game, I was going to say similar but looking at his career record of 124 wickets @ 33 isn't too bad given alot of bowling in Adelaide for what has been a mediocre team for a while also. His action doens't look all that condusive to consistent enough bowling to get his average down below 30+

I'm dissapointed Rofe has gone somewhat off the boil, if he could reproduce his best form it would be handy to have a stuart clark like option in our side.
He started well but for some reason, Rofe doesn't get many chances before the selectors pumt him back to Uni Oval.

Cleary is vastly under-estimated because, as you said, he doesn't look all that threatening. Reckon he trades on that a bit. Can bowl a heavy ball when he cranks up his speed. When I've seen him this year, he's bowled well within himself and his results follow that, I reckon. I figure because he either has an inexperienced bloke or Tait at the other end, he feels like he has to not give too much away. I don't think it's coincidence he seems to do his best bowling when someone like Rofe is in the side.

pup11

International Coach
Huge collapse. We lost 4/8.

6/140.

Need a huge partnership here, Rohrer and Lambert are the two who have to create the partnership here.
I know Danny Smith's glove-work ain't too good, but he is a pretty decent batsman, and therefore shouldn't he be playing ahead of Neville?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I know Danny Smith's glove-work ain't too good, but he is a pretty decent batsman, and therefore shouldn't he be playing ahead of Neville?
Has been atrocious this season in the Shield (with the bat, that is).

In other news, someone needs to seriously look into the Bellerive Oval deck, has been a ridiculous minefield all season.

pup11

International Coach
Has been atrocious this season in the Shield (with the bat, that is).

In other news, someone needs to seriously look into the Bellerive Oval deck, has been a ridiculous minefield all season.
Yup...I noticed that too, Bellerive Oval track had the rep for being a bowler' graveyard, but the groundsman there really seems to have juiced it up, especially for the FC games.

pup11

International Coach
Pretty poor effort from NSW, they should have atleast tried to better there 1st innings effort, but nobody really stood up for them, feel bad for Jaques, seems like he got a start but unfortunately failed to convert it.

What makes this effort from the Blues even more dire was that, even without Nannes and Harwood bowling, they were cleaned up pretty quickly.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Disappointing capitulation by NSW today. The middle order could not show the same determination as Jaques and Mail, who looked to have the better of the undermanned Victorian attack throughout the 2nd session.

Impressive performance by Hastings, displaying some of his club form. He was bowling with a decent amount of pace, and had the batsmen leaping every time he banged the ball in short.

McKay continues his dominating season with match figures of 7/85. He doesn't look the most dangerous of bowlers, quite an awkward action. But he keeps taking wickets and leading the Victorian attack well.

Victoria appears to be spoiled for bowling choice leading up to the shield final. Hopefully Harwood and Nannes can recover to give the selectors plenty of options.