• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs West Indies - Frank Worrell Trophy 2022

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Boland in Australia >>> Boland in England, at least relative to other quicks. This idea that ****s who bowl length and don't move it in the air would be somehow comparatively better in England really needs to die in a fire.
McGrath was **** who bowled length and didn't move it in the air and he didn't do too badly.

Shady Slim

International Coach
was thinking about the whole "picking guys for the conditions" thing in the shower this morning and i've come to a conclusion

a guy could indeed be better in x away conditions than other bowlers, BUT, when bowling in x away conditions you're also bowling to batsman for whom those are their home conditions, such that, in part, the adeptitude of the batsman in those conditions to bowling that works in those conditions must to some extent (unless you're talking about truly glorious bowlers such as mcgrath) wash out the effects of the bowler's suitability

Shady Slim

International Coach
Didn't really do any better in England than he did against the same opposition in Australia, especially given a par score in England is lower.
surely using the same sort of thinking though, if you can average x against an opposition at home and then you also average x against them on their turf you are doing really well once you account for the fact that they should be better on their home turf

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Stuart Broad dislikes this post.
Broad bowls full and swings it in England. He only decides to be a length seamer away from home - I wonder why he doesn't do it at home?!

Woakes is probably a better example for your argument, but Woakes is weird.

halba

International 12th Man
boland- best paceman down under since Mcgrath. A total find for australia- SAFers will struggle against him and his seam movement

Gotta play every game if fit vs SAF. Lance morris should also play on conditions, with Cumo returning, it would be a handful. Neser or Morris- should be Morris..

Haze should be dropped. Above 30 now, and well past his prime imho as a leading pace strike bowler.

Its good that Cumo is rested for WI series.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Boland in Australia >>> Boland in England, at least relative to other quicks. This idea that ****s who bowl length and don't move it in the air would be somehow comparatively better in England really needs to die in a fire.
England will prepare wickets that they think suit 'Bazball'. I doubt that means excessive lateral movement will be involved off the deck.

halba

International 12th Man
I don’t think Harris moved it much either, though my memory might be playing tricks on me.
Too much movement not required at test level. Big movers often did tampering eg Pak pacers
Often it is the little swing seam movement that does batsman totally in.

halba

International 12th Man
At this point I'm not convinced it matters. Not sure Haze will be back this summer, in any case he'll play at least the next two and is likely in the first XI for England.
Haze looks done career wise. Injury prone and right armer in his 30s . There's a lot of right arm competition. Boland does everything better than haze . With 24 year old lance Morris in the wings, could be Aussies answer to Shane bond and worth a trial at test level.

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Haze looks done career wise. Injury prone and right armer in his 30s . There's a lot of right arm competition. Boland does everything better than haze . With 24 year old lance Morris in the wings, could be Aussies answer to Shane bond and worth a trial at test level.
Yes Morris likely to be debut vs Proteas this month, Changes always help but Hazelwood not done yet for sure, he will be bounce back

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
was thinking about the whole "picking guys for the conditions" thing in the shower this morning and i've come to a conclusion

a guy could indeed be better in x away conditions than other bowlers, BUT, when bowling in x away conditions you're also bowling to batsman for whom those are their home conditions, such that, in part, the adeptitude of the batsman in those conditions to bowling that works in those conditions must to some extent (unless you're talking about truly glorious bowlers such as mcgrath) wash out the effects of the bowler's suitability
Why would the batsmen being adept at their home conditions apply more to bowlers suited to those conditions than to bowlers not suited to those conditions? Doesn't make sense brah

Burgey

Broad bowls full and swings it in England. He only decides to be a length seamer away from home - I wonder why he doesn't do it at home?!

Woakes is probably a better example for your argument, but Woakes is weird.
Broad isn’t a swing bowler ffs. Come on. He occasionally gets a bit of drift but that’s about it.

TheJediBrah

That doesn't gel with what I've seen of him in the Ashes in England. Made Warner his bunny by angling it in from around the wicket and nipping it either way, didn't really swing it much.