• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

Spark

Global Moderator
Rachin having some luck, needs to make the most of it.

If another great Aussie leg spinner like Warne came along do you think Lyon would have kept his spot? I doubt it.
This applies to literally every single spinner in the history of the game bar one. It's like the opposite of a good point.

Flem274*

123/5
Actually watching Will Young, the last makeshift opener to pretend the offside doesn't exist was Tom Blundell in Melbourne. Maybe they discussed it.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't you know, Nathan Lyon (500+ wickets at an average of 30) is about as good as Greg Mathews (60 wickets at 48)
Mo was genuinely one of those guys who was too good at Shield level and not quite good enough for test level.

Gob

International Coach
Rachin having some luck, he needs to make the most of it.

If another great Aussie leg spinner like Warne came along do you think Lyon would have kept his spot? I doubt it.
No but spinners like Warne comes once in 100 years

Spark

Global Moderator
Mo was genuinely one of those guys who was too good at Shield level and not quite good enough for test level.
From what I've seen he was a decent bowler, it's just that Australian pitches are usually where offies go to die. That's exactly what makes Lyon so impressive.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i mean, the only aus off-spinner it's worth comparing lyon to is hauritz, because it's total apples and oranges to compare off-spinners before and after DRS

Spark

Global Moderator
i mean, the only aus off-spinner it's worth comparing lyon to is hauritz, because it's total apples and oranges to compare off-spinners before and after DRS
Not so much in Australia though. The benefits of DRS for offies are really applicable in the subcontinent, you don't get that many batsman out in that fashion in Aus

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't you know, Nathan Lyon (500+ wickets at an average of 30) is about as good as Greg Mathews (60 wickets at 48)
Lol, he's as good as a guy who couldn't get in the team over Tim May even though he could bat.

One of the sillier opinions on here recently.