• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Steven Smith goes level with Mark Waugh on the most catches in Test cricket list.

Most catches in Test Cricket (TOP 10) :

1.Rahul Dravid - 210 in 301 inns
2.Mahela Jayawardene - 205 in 270 inns
3.Jacques Kallis - 200 in 315 inns
4.Ricky Ponting- 196 in 328 inns
5.Joe Root - 192 in 264 inns
6.Steven Smith - 181 in 205 inns
7.Mark Waugh - 181 in 245 inns
8.Alastair Cook - 175 in 300 inns
9.Stephen Fleming - 171 in 199 inns
10.Graeme Smith - 169 in 225 inns

King Kane

International Debutant
Mitchell is always proactive. I'm not surprised he's fighting fire with fire.
The best way to beat the Aussies is to be attacking to put their bowlers off their game like Stokes has done, just defending against them won't work.

There is a fine line between being attacking and being reckless though, so far in this test we have been more of the latter.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It's more the way he's trying to do it than the overall approach. He looks like getting out every other ball right now
Yeah, reverse sweeps are a scoring option or to force a bowler to do something else. Lyon won't change a thing based on that and Mitchell didn't look like getting close to either reverse.

Big Daz looks like a cat in a room of rocking chairs. Jumpy as ****

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The best way to beat the Aussies is to be attacking to put their bowlers off their game like Stokes has done, just defending against them won't work.

There is a fine line between being attacking and being reckless though, so far in this test we have been more of the latter.
It won't work to be defensive but you've got to play odds, too, when you're chasing 370 on a deck doing a fair bit for the spinners. As you rightly said in the last bit.

Flem274*

123/5
I think against the pacers Mitchell should go back to Plan A and get on the walk aiming for the V. He has never been very good playing on the crease, and has made a career out of walking at and intimidating bowlers by smoking them back over their heads.

Australia won't be intimidated but they have a history of being slow to change plan.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, reverse sweeps are a scoring option or to force a bowler to do something else. Lyon won't change a thing based on that and Mitchell didn't look like getting close to either reverse.

Big Daz looks like a cat in a room of rocking chairs. Jumpy as ****
Well he's just tried to hit Lyon into the ocean and missed it by a foot so that won't work either

Meridio

International Regular
Think it's about options. Being positive I think is a good thing, but it's knowing what shots are a good positive option. There's so much bounce for Lyon that sweeping is very dangerous and reverse sweeping even more so - especially when there is a fielder at backward point. Going down the pitch could be an option, but I think you should be looking to hit towards mid wicket with the spin rather than dead straight

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Genuinely reminiscent of blokes on dustbowls in India who don't think they can hack it so might as well whack a few while they're out there
Yep, doesn't seem to be a semblance of a plan. No surprise in a Gary Stead team, mind.

Honestly I've never seen Mitchell bat like this. He's hyped up as ****.

Flem274*

123/5
Mitchell needs to reconsider the ringcraft here. He's always had a slightly **** technique but amazing ringcraft.

This is better, he's going back to his usual walking at the bowler.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't agree with Lyon sticking to the around the wicket line here. There's so much purchase off the wicket, that line wide of off from over the wicket would be extremely threatening