• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Damn, good catch.

Maybe didn't do a massive amount wrong on that ball, Young, though I do think he should have stepped out and driven the previous ball for four, which may have changed things.

Meridio

International Regular
Real shame for Young but very indicative of his career. Had looked relatively comfortable, saw off very good spells from Cummins etc, and then just puts in a dozy forward defensive to a part time offie

ashley bach

International Captain
He's been fortunate to get such a long run in the Australian test team with not any real competition for his spot from other Aussie spinners.

Greg Matthews was quite a good off spinner too and a far better batsman than Lyon but his career was cut short when Shane Warne arrived.
Apart from one match Matthews was a hopeless test bowler tbh certainly not worthy of discussion amongst Warne/Lyon

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Real shame for Young but very indicative of his career. Had looked relatively comfortable, saw off very good spells from Cummins etc, and then just puts in a dozy forward defensive to a part time offie
Yeah brain fade, just didn't need to play it but I guess you can only say in hindsight.

He did manage to soak up 100 deliveries for the test tho

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't you know, Nathan Lyon (500+ wickets at an average of 30) is about as good as Greg Mathews (60 wickets at 48)
Think its fair to say that Lyons spot would have been under serious pressure a couple years ago if there had been any competition around. Remember where he went through that phase of only bowling onto a right handers hips

Spark

Global Moderator
Think its fair to say that Lyons spot would have been under serious pressure a couple years ago if there had been any competition around. Remember where he went through that phase of only bowling onto a right handers hips
Nah they've shown more loyalty to cricketers who have produced less and with stronger competition in recent years

King Kane

International Debutant
Lol, he's as good as a guy who couldn't get in the team over Tim May even though he could bat.

One of the sillier opinions on here recently.
I didn't say that Matthews was a better off spinner than Lyon but he was a far better batsman than him, he was more like the Aussie version of Phillips.

His off spin bowling alone wouldn't have got him in the Aussie test team but when you added in his batting ability it made him a worthwhile selection.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
There's being positive, and then there's being manically suicidal

Mitchell more towards the latter

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Damn, good catch.

Maybe didn't do a massive amount wrong on that ball, Young, though I do think he should have stepped out and driven the previous ball for four, which may have changed things.
Think he pushed way too hard at it. It looked pretty averagely played to me by a guy who hasn't worked out Test cricket at all

Spark

Global Moderator
I wonder if Green is being workload managed because otherwise Marsh bowling instead of him doesn't make a lot of sense to me

EDIT: Oh nvm cricinfo lied to me