• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in the West Indies 2012

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clarke is either a genius or a buffoon, we will find out in a few hours time. Brave declaration when you are a bowler down.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Clarke is either a genius or a buffoon, we will find out in a few hours time. Brave declaration when you are a bowler down.
That's what's going to happen but that's not fair. You have to make your decision at the time he made it, with the information he had. Scaly doesn't like it, I do - regardless of what happens.

Yea, maybe they'll lose (I don't think they will), but that's what taking a risk means. IMO it was an acceptable risk.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My opinion on this declaration is probably blinded by the fact that I bet on Australia to win 3-0 at the start of the series. Ordinarily I'd be shocked and appalled and it's certainly not what I'd have done, especially with Australia 1-0 up, but it was definitely Australia's best chance of winning and I have to think with my wallet. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Gould has apparently told Clarke "spinners only" from now on. I find this incredibly interesting because, with the light rule the way it is these days, it means Clarke can bowl spinners right up until the West Indies need say 20 to win, then bring on Hilfenhaus and end the game immediately, with the result being a draw. Clarke can end the game whenever he wants, as is basically my understanding of the situation at the moment. Hopefully the umpires use common sense to stop that situation occurring otherwise we'll have yet another farce brought to you by the light rule.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And it's over!

Gould has apparently told Clarke "spinners only" from now on. I find this incredibly interesting because, with the light rule the way it is these days, it means Clarke can bowl spinners right up until the West Indies need say 20 to win, then bring on Hilfenhaus and end the game immediately, with the result being a draw. Clarke can end the game whenever he wants, as is basically my understanding of the situation at the moment. Hopefully the umpires use common sense to stop that situation occurring otherwise we'll have yet another farce brought to you by the light rule.
Looks like they've told him that they won't let it descend into that, otherwise he'd have kept bowling spinners right up until the West Indies were within striking distance and then brought on Hilfenhaus (or until Australia won, of course). Disappointing end but good to see it didn't come to that, at least.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Declaration was ok given the conditions. Was always going to be rain or light shortened. Why left your number 11 fap about taking up time and not advancing the score?

If the WI were good enough to chase 215 down on day 5 they'd likely have been good enough to chase 220-225, which is what we'd likely have got anyway.

Typically, the most conservative people on here bagging it are English or wannabe Englishmen. Clarke enhanced Australia's chances of winning by declaring, rather than letting the game peter out.

Last edited:

Stapel

International Regular
And it's over!

Looks like they've told him that they won't let it descend into that, otherwise he'd have kept bowling spinners right up until the West Indies were within striking distance and then brought on Hilfenhaus (or until Australia won, of course). Disappointing end but good to see it didn't come to that, at least.
What's the forecast?

I've been to the West Indies a few times (though never to Trinidad), and what I've seen is that really gloomy skies can turn into bright sunshine within minutes.

Jager

International Debutant
I like the declaration a lot, quite adventurous. Shows he's not afraid of risking a loss in search of a win. Admittedly, at the time of declaration, the likelihood of a win was slightly higher than now, Sammy has certainly changed the game with those 30 runs already!

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Would've been interesting to see how this match might have played out if there was more time available for it or no weather issues.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In a test where the second highest number of wickets for a quick in an innings was 2, and in the match was 3, Roach's 5 in each innings looks even more impressive.

uvelocity

International Coach
Declaration was ok given the conditions. Was always going to be rain or light shortened. Why left your number 11 fap about taking up time and not advancing the score?
Yeah the declaration was a nothing really, not adventurous as patto wouldn't have batted and Beer wouldn't have lasted anyway. But obviously there was intent there by the bats in the second session so they were trying to win.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So Starc or Beer for the third Test? I guess it depends on pitch conditions. Hopefully the Dominica pitch is way more lively.