• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

adub

International Captain
Without wanting to be pessimistic though, I really hope this result doesn't gloss over the major problems in the team - yet again. Let's just look at the performances for the 'on notice' players and see what has changed:
These guys aren't just being picked on for a couple of bad games.

Ponting: yeah nice Rick love the win and you had a hand in it. No more than Hughes, or Watson, or Haddin, or Johnson, or Lyon, or obviously Cummins, but you contributed. At the death. With your career hanging by a thread. But it was only a 50, and we needed plenty of more work from others to get the win. Even with that your average this season is the craptacular 17.50. Even Haddin managed more than that and he threw two innings away. That's coming off an average of 31 in SL and 16 in the Ashes which was severely boosted by a meaningless 4th innings 50 on a road in Brisbane long after the Poms had killed the match and no one gave a flying anymore. Against that pile of excrement a 50 doesn't really cut it. I look forward to seeing you in Swisse and Valvoline commercials for a few more years, but not on a Test match pitch.

Johnson: Wow Mitch leading the batting averages - go you. Preferrably all the way back to Perth and stay there. Maybe pop by to bowl to the boys in the nets when they next play a test there. 3 wickets at 85. 1 of those wickets was Amla who threw it away a couple of runs short of winning the 1st test, and then Amla again once he's scored his 2nd ton. You did get Smith early in the first dig so I suppose that's something. Not quite match winning performances though were they. Kinda makes 6 wickets at 52 in SL look half decent (if you don't look too hard), which again makes your 15 @ 37 in the Ashes look almost superhuman. Except we remember how you bowled in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney and you don't seem to have any idea how you bowled as you did in Perth. **** Off.

Haddin: Nice 50 Hadds. Unlike the other two it isn't all about just your own performances. Wade has dynamited the door and you were silly enough to be trying to set fire to it from your side at the same time. Your Ashes (at least to start with) were good, but you just get out too often to shots that look far too casual. At 34 you're just not the best option we have and you never were the out and out ATG that could afford a long lean patch at that age. Thanks, but time for Wade.

Siddle: What can you say about a guy whose bowling figures in 2/3rds of his innings look like binary code? Since Aug 09 he's gone x1x101110x010xxx0010x1x01x0. Just nine out of 27 innings where he has taken more than 1 wicket. Sidds, you're a passenger far too often. We can and should do better.

heathrf1974

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
New Aussie coach

Mickey Arthur has just been anounced as the new Aussie coach. I hope Lehmann can be involved somewhere.

adub

International Captain
binary could be the go to nickname for siddle
Johnson isn't much better tbh

Since Pakistan in Hobart he's gone:

0111xx1011x0x000xxxx0xx0x0111 11 out of 29 innings with more than 1 scalp.

They're the ****ing Binary Brothers!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Bloody hell, chaps. Every silver lining has a cloud, eh?

Three years of being slightly less than awesome and you already out-pessimist the most defeatist pom. Kudos.
In my defence, I'm not a cricket fan anymore. Grown sick of the politics and whatnot, so unfortunately all you'll see from me is the negatives and "O'Keefers :wub:".

EDIT: Just seen MA is the new coach. Indeed.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeh, the ironic thing about giving Sidde that nickname is that he wouldn't even know what the word means.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There are 10 people who get binary jokes; those that do and those that don't

Siddle: "Who are the other 8 then?!

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fair point about being overly-pessimistic. Everyone expected OZ to be dominated in SL and they won the series and I doubt anyone thought SA would lose a Test so kudos to the side for that.

What was good to see was the blokes most under pressure, even though they didn't dominate, still managed to contribute to the win. Genuine team effort.
Anyone that had seen SL play in Eng wouldve known that they are pretty woeful atm, so us winning there was not a huge surprise

SA was a toss-up for me as the conditions should suit our attack and one had to think that Ponting would eventually come good

Having said that, the fact that we drew 1-1 after giving away a test & unearthered top young talent in Khawaja and Cummins in the process implies that it was a good result.

However, my feeling is that if it had been a 5 test series, it wouldve gone the same way as the Ashes as we simply have too many players out of form/depth

As such, the real worry is if the selectors decide that they wont change a winning side

Ruckus

International Captain
I'm not sure the "not changing a winning side" thing holds that much truth anymore. With the new management not having played a role yet we'll have to wait and see, but even the last series in Sri Lanka (which we actually won) Copeland was dropped for Siddle. And that was after our bowling attack looked the best it had in ages imo.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Awta (social). But, not many teams have much experience in playing anything but 2 or 3 test series, its not like the 70, 80's and 90's when most series were 5 tests. So you don't know if Steyn has the fitness to run in and blow us away for 5 tests, how many 5 test series has he played? I might say none at all actually....