• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Howe_zat

Audio File
its funny how S.A. have the no.1 bowler (steyn). no.1 allrounder (kallis). two of the top ranked batsmen (kallis, amla) and possibly the no.1 fielding team going around yet theyve won only 1 of their last 7 series. This is supposed to be the no.2 team in the world?? this chokers tag suits them perfectly
SA are a long way from the best fielding side, especially in Tests.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
Still though,l that record doesn't seem to reflect the individual records of the players. Anyone know how on cricinfo do you see a country's record series by series?

chicane

State Captain
Australia! What a match and series! As for SA, with their renewed pace bowling and full strength batting you'd expect them to smash a few teams in the series coming, but despite not winning as much as expected they sure do produce incredible test cricket wherever they go.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Er, India and SA drew against each other home and away. SA has been drawing series after series at home while India has been winning them. A fine example being vs Oz.

While I agree SA are the superior XI, India, in a ranking system influenced purely by results, should definitely be ahead considering the home results it has had compared to the endless torrent of draws by SA.
Correct. South Africa's ranking is artificially high because they don't play a lot of Test cricket, there's no way they were the number 2 side going into this series on the basis of results. They haven't won a Test series for 18 months.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Correct. South Africa's ranking is artificially high because they don't play a lot of Test cricket, there's no way they were the number 2 side going into this series on the basis of results. They haven't won a Test series for 18 months.
Even then it was against the Windies, wasn't it? IIRC they haven't won against a top side since 2008.

Ftr I don't think we can call their ranking "artificial", after all they haven't been losing series either, and before this dry patch they went on a fantastic winning streak to get them rated as one of the best.

I agree, though, that it would've been a shame for them to beat only two different sides in three years and just let that happen to nudge them into the top spot. It seems a lot more fulfilling when a team having a brilliant run ascends to the top.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Even then it was against the Windies, wasn't it? IIRC they haven't won against a top side since 2008.

Ftr I don't think we can call their ranking "artificial", after all they haven't been losing series either, and before this dry patch they went on a fantastic winning streak to get them rated as one of the best.

I agree, though, that it would've been a shame for them to beat only two different sides in three years and just let that happen to nudge them into the top spot. It seems a lot more fulfilling when a team having a brilliant run ascends to the top.
Yeah, but their winning streak occured in 2007 and 2008. Since their win in the Boxing Day Test in 2008 (almost 3 years ago), they've:

Lost the 3rd Test vs Australia
Lost 2-1 at home to Australia
Beaten the West Indies 2-0
Drawn 1-1 vs England
Drawn 1-1 in India
Drawn 0-0 vs Pakistan in the UAE
Drawn 1-1 vs India
Drawn 1-1 vs Australia

for a record of P20 W7 D6 L7. (these results are off the top of my head so there might be one or two wrong.)

That's not the sort of recent a record a side in with a close shout of number 1 should have, particularly when you compare England and India's records in that time.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
I think the way I'd describe SA is that they're very hard but very brittle at the same time. Which means if you happen to be standing in the wrong place you're going to get your head knocked off, however hit the spot & they fall to pieces.

There are way too many "on their day" players. Boucher is living off his past reputation as a fighter rather than actually being one, Smith & his opening partner haven't provided a solid platform consistently. Prince is so clueless against spin he makes even the most gentle tweaker seem like the lovechild of Warne & Murali and as much promise as Morne Morkel has, he's often wayward.

In the past, we had Pollock down the order to help recover & Boucher was a far more effective batsman. We could count on them to shepherd the tail to something decent. Steyn tries his best, but Morkel has quickly regressed. Hopefully Big Verne can bed his place down & get into some batting knick.

At some point very soon SA are going to have to look hard at replacing at least Prince & Boucher, the payoff for persisting with them simply isn't worth it. They aren't world beaters at their best anyway and neither are going to be around long enough to make it worth it. #6 needs to either be a guy like Hussey, who's a class bat & will keep the rate ticking or the young gun you want to blood in.

I've often felt that Prince actually tends to kill momentum when we need to kick on. I'd rather have a Dumniy, Elgar, et al in that spot. Keeper's a bit harder, I don't want AB keeping but nobody really jumps out as a ready made Test keeper-batsman, though I suppose you'll never know 'till you try someone.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
That's without even mentioning that they're almost always undercooked coming into series, though not this time, they somehow managed not to lose the 1st one against the Aussies.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah, but their winning streak occured in 2007 and 2008. Since their win in the Boxing Day Test in 2008 (almost 3 years ago), they've:

Lost the 3rd Test vs Australia
Lost 2-1 at home to Australia
Beaten the West Indies 2-0
Drawn 1-1 vs England
Drawn 1-1 in India
Drawn 0-0 vs Pakistan in the UAE
Drawn 1-1 vs India
Drawn 1-1 vs Australia

for a record of P20 W7 D6 L7. (these results are off the top of my head so there might be one or two wrong.)

That's not the sort of recent a record a side in with a close shout of number 1 should have, particularly when you compare England and India's records in that time.
You're right, but I think they deserve more credit than you may be giving them for their 2007-08 run, because it was almost entirely the same team as they have now. Their big performers during that run were Smith, De Villiers, Steyn, Kallis and Amla. The only player they've really lost is Ntini, and he was flagging somewhat towards the end anyway.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I know 2 things, Ponting isn't getting a 100 and we are not winning this.
Partial credit. :p

Nothing in their batting. If anything Tahir is a fraction better there.

If they really want to go for the 'package' they should pick Botha, but Tahir fits the side a lot better IMO especially now that Philander is in there.
WAC. It's bad enough the Transvaal's most mobile elbow gets to play limited overs.

What a game tho, seriously. Been an absolute epic. Had pretty much everything.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Yay, once again we'll paper over the cracks, and not improve one bit.

Can't believe South Africa lost that. Their mentality is whacked.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
its funny how S.A. have the no.1 bowler (steyn). no.1 allrounder (kallis). two of the top ranked batsmen (kallis, amla) and possibly the no.1 fielding team going around yet theyve won only 1 of their last 7 series. This is supposed to be the no.2 team in the world?? this chokers tag suits them perfectly
Guido Knows his stuff. Remember this one -"I think you are upset because your husband has your handbag".....

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yay, once again we'll paper over the cracks, and not improve one bit.

Can't believe South Africa lost that. Their mentality is whacked.
Yeah, basically my attitude too. 'Never change a winning team' to be the slogan from now until the Gabba Test when Ponting, Johnson and Haddin line-up.

(that said, a Saffer loss is always yummy. Omnomnomnomnomnomn.)

Good to see a ****ing bowler take the man of the series for a change, especially noteworthy when one bloke scored (all but) match-winning tons in both Tests.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bloody hell, chaps. Every silver lining has a cloud, eh?

Three years of being slightly less than awesome and you already out-pessimist the most defeatist pom. Kudos.

Sylvester

State Captain
''As soon as it hit my pad, I thought it must be going down leg,'' he said. ''Then I went down the other end and Johnno's (Mitch Johnson) like, 'yeah, it hit you outside off'. I said, 'I thought so!'.'' Umpire Gould said not out, and Hawkeye showed it only glancing leg stump, which is not enough to overrule.
Read more: Australia pulls off two-wicket win

Haha Cummins is a crack up.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Like any Aussie I'm hoping for a Punter ton to seal us the test, but Steyn and Philander are bowling really well, Uzi and Punter were lucky to get to tea. With Tahir starting to come into the game and our tail in poor form I think the draw is our best chance of anything here. If it rains all day tomorrow I think SA will be the more frustrated of the two teams.
Love being wrong. Absolutely love it.

Pat Cummins. What A ****ing Gun!!!