• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah we have. I said Dougeh reminds me heaps of Bresnan and you said "Yeah, they even got picked way before they were ready based on what they looked like they could be."
Brenan has time on his side more than Bolly. Yeah they could follow a similar track but only one of them is likely to get picked any time soon.

adub

International Captain
On the question of where to from here (and I'm by no means conceding the match - SA are just as likely to get to 2/180 and lose by 5 runs) it's really tough to make any calls whilst the blood is still up.

BUT, with Marsh's back ****ed we have to call for back ups anyway so Warner and Wade should be on the plane.

Khawaja obviously comes in for Marsh at 3. Ponting - frankly I'd be tossing a coin on his ass. I said at the time that Melbourne should have been his last test and nothing since has shown why that was a wrong call. I'd like to give him one more shot at maybe making a big ton in Jo'burg, but how many ****ing chances does he get? It's just ruining the memories of an ATG watching him scratch around now. I'd be so 50-50 on one more test or applying the mercy rule and dropping Watson to 4 with Warner opening. I never thought Watson would make it as an opener, but he started solid. Now though I reckon they've pretty much got him worked out. His bowling must keep him in the side so I'd like to see how he goes at 4. Coin toss, but I'd be hoping it came up to drop Ponting frankly.

I've long supported Haddin. I think he cops way too much due to unfair comparisons with Gilly. Before Gilchrist came along we would have lost our **** over a keeper averaging 38. He has some off days with the gloves but generally he's reliable and has done some great stuff for us with the bat (not so long ago either in the Ashes). But you get the feeling, like Ponting, that he's on the downslope and it isn't going to get better. Wade is young fit and firing. Give him a shot - he surely couldn't be worse.

Marsh, well what can you say. The bastard should never have been there, played like a ****ing genius when he did get there, and then low and behold has broken down again. When was the last season he didn't break? 2002? I think it's harsh as he has been so good in the tests he's played, but we can't rely on his body so he should be seen as a back up only. Put Uzi in at 3 and leave him there like we should have done all along. If Marsh is fit take him on tour or call him up to fill injury/loss of form holes, but we aren't going to build a side around someone so fragile.

If Johnson doesn't win the game for us in this last innings, then **** off the useless merkin. Seriously has there ever been a bigger prick tease in the history of the game? Perth has seen him right through to the end of the SL series. Questions are starting to be asked and his place is under a bit of threat so he comes out and takes a bag full in the Shield and backs it up with 9-fer in the tour match to secure his spot. All the usual 'he bowls well in SA' and 'he's got the ball swinging' crap comes out and you think, hey just maybe. He gets served up the juiciest seaming wicket produced in a decade and does what? Get the **** out of the national team structure and let us put a consistent team on the paddock you ****. I was fine with Copes missing out because he wasn't getting many wickets lately - well it goes triple for this useless hack. Win us the game or **** right off. You've had far more chances than your **** deserved.

I do think we're a better side now than last summer, but we can do better than Ponting, Haddin and Johnson especially and we should use this test as the catalyst to do it. Hughes would be next in the firing line, but he should get at least until the end of the NZ tests on the basis of his ton last test.

Flem274*

123/5
I've never seen Warner bat outside 20/20, but I don't think he, or anyone really, will provide a quick fix to Australia's batting woes.

Usman Khawaja looks like an amazing talent-better then Hughes, who might be gone if he fails this summer-but he is also a young bloke and like Kane Williamson, Umar Akmal and Darren Bravo, you can't expect immediate results. They will have good days, but they will also be culprits in hilarious collapses.

Granted, I know very little about Australian domestic cricket, but Katich is the only guy I can think of who genuinely belongs in the Australian batting line up. Watson should stay in the top three-he will regain form eventually.

Sending Warner and Khawaja over now will be a massively harsh introduction. Khawaja did get a start against England in a dead rubber, but facing a world class attack at home >>>> facing Steyn, Morkel and Philander on bowling friendly pitches in South Africa.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I've never seen Warner bat outside 20/20, but I don't think he, or anyone really, will provide a quick fix to Australia's batting woes.

Usman Khawaja looks like an amazing talent-better then Hughes, who might be gone if he fails this summer-but he is also a young bloke and like Kane Williamson, Umar Akmal and Darren Bravo, you can't expect immediate results. They will have good days, but they will also be culprits in hilarious collapses.

Granted, I know very little about Australian domestic cricket, but Katich is the only guy I can think of who genuinely belongs in the Australian batting line up. Watson should stay in the top three-he will regain form eventually.

Sending Warner and Khawaja over now will be a massively harsh introduction. Khawaja did get a start against England in a dead rubber, but facing a world class attack at home >>>> facing Steyn, Morkel and Philander on bowling friendly pitches in South Africa.
Isn't Khawaja out there anyway? He's only played 1 Shield game, same as Hughes and Ponting.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Oh and I don't think this has been pointed out yet, but Marsh's injury meant Clarke batted four in the second innings. Funny how the second innings worked out for both Clarke and the team as opposed to the first.. :p

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Oh and I don't think this has been pointed out yet, but Marsh's injury meant Clarke batting four in the second innings. Funny how the second innings worked out for both Clarke and the team as opposed to the first.. :p
And with Ponting at 3 as well, you'd have thought the experienced players taking responsibility and batting so high up would have worked out. Can't think why it didn't.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watson's a funny one, because against England he bowls exactly how you'd expect a 5th bowler to bowl - jogs in and trundles down some 80mph stuff that's reasonably accurate but pretty non-threatening. If the only time you saw him bowl was in the Ashes you wouldn't rate him any higher than Paul Collingwood with the ball.

Yet 4 times now, twice against Pakistan in England last year, against Sri Lanka in Galle and in this Test he's just come on and taken heaps of wickets in next to no time. And the funny thing is that I don't think his bowling looks much more threatening than when he plays against England.
Did not see the Sri Lankan one but I guess he is just one of those innocuous looking bowlers that can be lethal when condition suits (and batsman oblige), rekon Dimitri Mascarenhas would have done similar today to be honest.

adub

International Captain

Khawaja is on tour and will play in Jo'burg whatever unless by some miracle Marsh is fit.

If all you've seen of Warner is t20 then you've got no idea about what he's capable of. (Well maybe a little). I'd prefer to give him a bit more Shield time to really prove himself, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. Since moving to opener in fc he's scored 3 tons a 99 and an 83 out of about 11 innings. Two of the tons were 211 and 148 (his last two fc innings). He's in ridiculous form and has the game to make runs against good bowling. It's not a matter of if with Warner rather than when I reckon. Far too good to not get a go eventually and let's face it, he only needs to score 20 odd and he'll be contributing more than Ponting. He's also a gun fielder. Will strengthen the side, and whilst one test v SA isn't the easiest introduction he's a ****y little **** and would love nothing better than to go out and slap Steyn around like he did on his t20 debut. He then has two test against NZ so no better time really.

I've long said Wade should be at least on par with Paine. Last week he scored 108 and 80 to win a Shield game. He's in form and ready. Get him on the plane.

adub

International Captain
Oh and I don't think this has been pointed out yet, but Marsh's injury meant Clarke batted four in the second innings. Funny how the second innings worked out for both Clarke and the team as opposed to the first.. :p
Yeah I was going to point out what happens when Clarke goes back to 4 :laugh: