• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Langeveldt

Soutie
Will be interesting to see if McDonald retains his place on what is likely to be another greentop according to the locals because of all the rain they've had recently in Durban. Albertus Morkel might replace his brother or they might leave out Harris. Morne Morkel is a really, really poor batsman and it's ridiculous that he's not listed to go in at #11. All of the other tailenders bat with more composure and intelligence than he does.
Wouldn't have Morkel in there, the seam cupboard isn't that bare and why do we need an Andrew McDonald anyway? An ODI player at best is Albie.. Drop Morne to 11 and hopefully he'll be hurt enough to knuckle down with his batting

Sylvester

State Captain
Don't mind Magoffin call up but geez our bowlers are falling like flies. You can also add Johnson who was seen hold his hamstring.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Bit worrying that Hilfenhaus and Siddle have niggles relating to their previous injuries. I really think this is another reason they need a spinner if they're going to have a four-man attack. The quicks all bowled about 50 overs (Hilfenhaus 56, Johnson 54, Siddle 46) and it wasn't as if the Saffas had a particularly big innings.

Sylvester

State Captain
For me if we planned on using McDonald as a bowler then Magoffin would have been just as economical but has more wicket taking potential.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Haha, pretty funny to see so many blokes being flown over. Bracken now next in line one feels. (face)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Series Result: Aus 2-0
Top SA Runscorer: Smith
Top Aus Runscorer: Hughes
Top SA Wicket-taker: Ntini
Top Aus Wicket-taker: Bollinger
Player of the Series: Hughes
Surprise Packet: Hughes/Bollinger
Dropped Player(s): Morkel
Miscellaneous Event: Siddle gets injured.
Getting screwed over on Bollinger here, but the rest is looking pretty good.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
For me if we planned on using McDonald as a bowler then Magoffin would have been just as economical but has more wicket taking potential.

NO way.

Mcdonald is actually the best restricter of runs going around, Magoffin would have been carted, although perhaps more likely to take a wicket.

This is depressing that we may now have to rely on a Mitch + 4th string bowling attack. If this is the case, I fear massive humiliation in remaining tests.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Why does everyone on here seem to think that Nofke is only missing from the Aus team because he's injured and that he is worth a place in the team.

This is wrong on both counts. The only time he was selected was for the tour of WI last year and this was because Siddle was having surgery. They proved that by making that change for the India tour after neither had played cricket in the mean time. So it was not...what had Nofke done wrong to be dropped?....it was:the young bowler who we actually want in the team is now available, so out you go.

On Nofke actually being worthy of a place: He may be in this 4th string attack, but that would be it. He was quite promissing early on (I was really impressed when I saw him bowl for Aus A once), has been mediocre for many years, then has one good season for Qld. Has been injured all season so hasn't been able to show that he can back it up. if he has another good season 09-10 then yeah he would be worthy, but how old would he be then?
So it's best to forget Nofke and move forward. If he was any good then he would have been given a chance earlier in his career, hell even Scott Muller got a chance.

cheers

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
QLD'ers have a genetic inability to accept when someone else is just simply better, fans and players alike.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
In before EWS bangs his head against a wall.

Noffke will never be in the Australian team. As I understand he burned his bridges with the selectors, and short of getting 50 wickets in 50 balls backed up by a few triple tons I don't think we'll see him playing for his country.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why does everyone on here seem to think that Nofke is only missing from the Aus team because he's injured and that he is worth a place in the team.

This is wrong on both counts. The only time he was selected was for the tour of WI last year and this was because Siddle was having surgery. They proved that by making that change for the India tour after neither had played cricket in the mean time. So it was not...what had Nofke done wrong to be dropped?....it was:the young bowler who we actually want in the team is now available, so out you go.

On Nofke actually being worthy of a place: He may be in this 4th string attack, but that would be it. He was quite promissing early on (I was really impressed when I saw him bowl for Aus A once), has been mediocre for many years, then has one good season for Qld. Has been injured all season so hasn't been able to show that he can back it up. if he has another good season 09-10 then yeah he would be worthy, but how old would he be then?
So it's best to forget Nofke and move forward. If he was any good then he would have been given a chance earlier in his career, hell even Scott Muller got a chance.

cheers
Noffke was miles ahead of Hilfenhaus and Siddle in domestic performance.

If he had have gotten a run in India it's quite possible that we wouldn't have been so humiliated. Last season his bowling *and* batting was the only thing that kept QLD competative. He was *huge*.

Openly criticising selectors can't have helped his case, but they deserved the criticism. I mean they picked Cameron White FFS.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Series Result: 1-1
Top SA Runscorer: Smith
Top Aus Runscorer: Ponting
Top SA Wicket-taker: Ntini
Top Aus Wicket-taker: Siddle
Player of the Series: Smith
Surprise Packet: Tahir if he plays. If not, Hughes.
Dropped Player(s): Harris
Miscellaneous Event: South Africa to drop at least three Aussies on their way to centuries.
Looking reasonably solid on all fronts, would have had a major boost on the last prediction if Ponting had been able to scrounge a few more runs.

Sylvester

State Captain
NO way.

Mcdonald is actually the best restricter of runs going around, Magoffin would have been carted, although perhaps more likely to take a wicket.

This is depressing that we may now have to rely on a Mitch + 4th string bowling attack. If this is the case, I fear massive humiliation in remaining tests.
Don't know what makes you say that given Magoffin FC economy is 0.01 runs better than McDonald. Remembering that he plays alot of his matches on the WACA which has been a road of late.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Don't know what makes you say that given Magoffin FC economy is 0.01 runs better than McDonald. Remembering that he plays alot of his matches on the WACA which has been a road of late.
mmm...:unsure:..didn't check the stats, just shot from the mouth.

the best explanation i can give is that I think Macca is a limited type who knows his bowling and its limitations well (kinda like myself on a downgraded scale). Magoffin I think would try to impress as a fast bowler and fall into bad habbits of too short or too fast etc. More just a gut feeling I guess, so feel free to ignore my previous post 8-)