• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in South Africa***

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
aussie said:
I have seen anything that fantastic from Lewis as a fielder but Clark throughout the VB series has been very good patrolling the boundaries at fine-leg & third-man & has a very good arm, cant see how he can be one of the worst in world cricket. Not saying Lewis is bad but IMO Clark is better in that area, but its a matter of opinion..
Clark is slow and doesnt get down well has dropped a few catches need i go on? Havent seen the catch Micky took in the 20/20 match and the one in the 2nd final? y

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clark is an excellent outfielder.

Fortunately, its not about fielding.

Lewis is simply not a good enough bowler.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Clark is an excellent outfielder.

Fortunately, its not about fielding.

Lewis is simply not a good enough bowler.
thats right, hopefully this SA series is the last time Lewis is seen in australian colours..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Jason Gillespie

I'm starting to worry how much longer it will take the selectors to go back to him TBH. I fear with his non-selection for the OD series in SA that lets say Lewis gets dropped Tait may come into the squad ahead of him thus rendering his OD career over.

Within the test side i'd say he is a bit more safe once he keeps improving on his form in the pura cup he should make the test sqaud if McGrath goes or not, but knowing the selectors these days anything is possible. This is my hopefull test sqaud:

Ponting
Langer
Hayden
Hodge
Hussey
Clarke
Watson
Gilchrist
Haddin
Warne
MacGill
Lee
McGrath
Gillespie
Bracken

With regards to the bowling if McGrath does go Tait should come in obviously but if he does Tait should replace Bracken in the test side.

In the case of Tait & Bracken our selectors need to be ruthless and see the broad picture & not jsut keep Bracken in the test side based on good OD performances, Bracken is seems to have great control with the white ball but seeing him in the 2 test especially at Perth he seems accurate without being that threatening or destructive. Tait may not have had much test experience but he has the potential to be a better test bowler than Bracken and the selectors should realise that..

howardj

International Coach
aussie said:
I'm starting to worry how much longer it will take the selectors to go back to him TBH. I fear with his non-selection for the OD series in SA that lets say Lewis gets dropped Tait may come into the squad ahead of him thus rendering his OD career over.

Within the test side i'd say he is a bit more safe once he keeps improving on his form in the pura cup he should make the test sqaud if McGrath goes or not, but knowing the selectors these days anything is possible. This is my hopefull test sqaud:

Ponting
Langer
Hayden
Hodge
Hussey
Clarke
Watson
Gilchrist
Haddin
Warne
MacGill
Lee
McGrath
Gillespie
Bracken

With regards to the bowling if McGrath does go Tait should come in obviously but if he does Tait should replace Bracken in the test side.

In the case of Tait & Bracken our selectors need to be ruthless and see the broad picture & not jsut keep Bracken in the test side based on good OD performances, Bracken is seems to have great control with the white ball but seeing him in the 2 test especially at Perth he seems accurate without being that threatening or destructive. Tait may not have had much test experience but he has the potential to be a better test bowler than Bracken and the selectors should realise that..
I think it unlikely that 15 players will be selected for a trip that involves zero tour games and only three Test matches - they'll only take a squad of 14. To that end, with no tour games, it's pretty pointless taking Haddin. Also, I'd like to see Gillespie picked only if McGrath is not touring. I don't think Dizzy should be picked ahead of Tait. Finally, it's good to see someone else thinking that Symonds should not be in the Test squad. Hasn't done much to deserve selection. The worst number six Test batsman for Australia, for quite some time.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I don't think Dizzy will ever play for Aus again.. I'm just looking at the mediocrity they seem to be "fast tracking" and they seem to be preparing for the future than the present.. Not that it seems to be affecting their results.. I'd be pretty hacked off if i was him

howardj

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
I don't think Dizzy will ever play for Aus again.. I'm just looking at the mediocrity they seem to be "fast tracking" and they seem to be preparing for the future than the present.. Not that it seems to be affecting their results.. I'd be pretty hacked off if i was him
Yeah, especially considering that this is the first time - ever - that he has been dropped from the Australian side for poor performance. Whereas other guys of his age, with vastly inferior Test records (such as Bracken, Symonds) have been recalled recently.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
yea but i hope the selectors get some sense & he does play for Australia soon, especially in the test team..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
It's not affecting the results when they have McGrath and Warne still there...

We've seen what happens when one of them is out and they face a strong side that's prepared to take them on at their own game...

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
yea but i hope the selectors get some sense & he does play for Australia soon, especially in the test team..
Just hope Johnson gets but kicked just like he deserves

mikeW

Johnson's selection is quite bemusing, i dont really expect him to play any matches unless there are deadrubbers. You just got to feel for the other guys who have worked there *** off for no reward.

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
Jono said:
Lawson laid a scathing attack on Hohns in regards to the selection of Johnson, and Hohns has responded. Interesting.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18169341-23212,00.html
I'm with Hohns on this one. But if Lawson is right and there are 25 other bowlers more qualified than Johnson, I've wasted all my time fretting over who'll be replacing Mcgrath cos i think this guys screams potential and he should be ingratiated into the side asap.

From the limited footage i've seen ie. a few domestic games and the one against NZ, he looks to have the ability to bowl quick and with SWING, and late swing at that. His action is smooth and clean also with an economy of movement (but he can bend his back for that extra swing), which leads me to believe that he could become pretty accurate (unlike Tait).

Despite his poor figures in NZ (which should be discounted IMO cos he was on debut and the pitch was a belter), I think now was the correct time to pick him, as we've got a year to work with him before the WC, and 10 months b4 the Ashes. :ph34r:

Langeveldt

Soutie
To be honest, I think the only people who could cost Australia this series against South Africa are their very weird selectors..

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
parttimer said:
I'm with Hohns on this one. But if Lawson is right and there are 25 other bowlers more qualified than Johnson, I've wasted all my time fretting over who'll be replacing Mcgrath cos i think this guys screams potential and he should be ingratiated into the side asap.

From the limited footage i've seen ie. a few domestic games and the one against NZ, he looks to have the ability to bowl quick and with SWING, and late swing at that. His action is smooth and clean also with an economy of movement (but he can bend his back for that extra swing), which leads me to believe that he could become pretty accurate (unlike Tait).

Despite his poor figures in NZ (which should be discounted IMO cos he was on debut and the pitch was a belter), I think now was the correct time to pick him, as we've got a year to work with him before the WC, and 10 months b4 the Ashes. :ph34r:
Johnson has been picked on potentail alone - and he has plenty of it as you say.

Obviously, there are numerous other bowlers with better records to date, but how many have the ability to develop into test match-winners? Bugger all.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
with reference to Johnson, well i didn't see the bloke bowl in NZ so i really cant say i am going to be like Lawson & go on stats only & it was poor. I have heard he had potential so i dunno maybe he may surprise someone...

howardj

International Coach
There's an article in today's newspapers, here in Australia, that quotes McGrath as saying that, at this stage, it is highly likely that he will miss the Test tour of South Africa. I think that pretty much ensures that Jason Gillespie will make the tour. Given Tait's inability to throw properly (Trevor Hohns has stated that this is a precondition for selection) the four quicks for the tour of South Africa are now likely to be:

Lee
Bracken
Gillespie
Clark

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
dalm its disappointing in one way the Pigeon wont make the test tour but on the bright side it will give Lee to lead the attack, Bracken & possibly Tait (if he can throw properly) to establish themselves & Dizzy to cement his rightful place in the side.

Hopefully Tait does go because i really dont want to see Clark in the test side..

howardj

International Coach
aussie said:
Hopefully Tait does go because i really dont want to see Clark in the test side..
Me neither. Anyway, it will imbue South Africa with enormous confidence in the Test series, if McGrath doesn't make the tour. It absolutely amazes me how less intimidated and more liberated the opposition batsmen are when they play an Australian team, sans McGrath. That England won both of the Test matches that he missed on the Ashes tour last year, was not just down to the fact that his bowling was missing, but also that the batsmen were, it seemed, more relaxed and more inclined to play naturally against the other bowlers.

mikeW

I have doubts that Gillespie will be picked i rekon they'll go for Tait, Lewis or maybe even Dorey.