• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in South Africa***

howardj

International Coach
My Aussie Test Squad of 14

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Hodge
Hussey
Clarke
Watson

Gilchrist

Warne
MacGill

McGrath (Gillespie)
Tait
Lee
Bracken

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
My Aussie ODI Squad of 14

Jacques
Gilchrist
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Hussey
Symonds
Watson

Hogg
Lee
Bracken
McGrath (Gillespie)
Tait
Clark

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I doubt Katich will get dropped from the ODI squad and Symonds from the Test Squad.

My Squads would be:

Test: Hayden, Langer, Jaques, Ponting, Hodge, Hussey, Symonds, Watson, Gilchrist, Warne, MacGill, Lee, McGarth (Gillespie), Tait

ODI: Katich, Gilchrist, Jaques, Ponting, Martyn, Symonds, Clarke, Hussey, Watson, Lee, Hogg, McGarth (Tait), Bracken, Clark

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
My Aussie Test Squad of 14

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Hodge
Hussey
Clarke
Watson

Gilchrist

Warne
MacGill

McGrath (Gillespie)
Tait
Lee
Bracken
Agree with the side. But with the bowling if McGrath gets over his problems soon you have him in obviously & i would pick Dizzy over Bracken.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
My Aussie ODI Squad of 14

Jacques
Gilchrist
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Hussey
Symonds
Watson

Hogg
Lee
Bracken
McGrath (Gillespie)
Tait
Clark
Its going to be though for Katich to be dropped now for Jaques, he is 90% secured of going to SA. Also dont thin all of 5 seamers willl go, Hopes should be in their, the 4 seamers once McGrath is fine should be Lee, McGrath, Bracken, Tait. But if not hopefully the selectors go for Dizzy & dont retain guys like Clark & Lewis.

*Prays for Jayasuriya & co to destroy Clark and Lewis in VB series finals & Katich to fail miserably*

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
aussie said:
Its going to be though for Katich to be dropped now for Jaques, he is 90% secured of going to SA. Also dont thin all of 5 seamers willl go, Hopes should be in their, the 4 seamers once McGrath is fine should be Lee, McGrath, Bracken, Tait. But if not hopefully the selectors go for Dizzy & dont retain guys like Clark & Hussey

*Prays for Jayasuriya & co to destroy Clark and Lewis in VB series finals & Katich to fail miserably*
Jacques should be ahead of Katich, though. Secondly, I don't rate Hopes at all. Finally, ideally I would have picked another spinner instead of Clark, but there is a dearth of them, at least for ODI's, at present - especially considering Cullen most likely won't be considered, due to injury and lack of cricket.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Jacques should be ahead of Katich, though. Secondly, I don't rate Hopes at all. Finally, ideally I would have picked another spinner instead of Clark, but there is a dearth of them, at least for ODI's, at present - especially considering Cullen most likely won't be considered, due to injury and lack of cricket.
1. Agreed, but you got to admit at least for the SA tour unless Katich fails miserably in the VB series finals & Jaques just keeps smoking runs in the ING cup, Katich will go to SA.

2. Well thats your view, for me he is good versatile player and a bloke to have in the OD team i've been fairly impressed with his batting, the selectors could bat him anywhere & even though he was smashed by Jayasuriya in Sydney & was expensive in the SA game his bowling most times has been steady.

3. Well with the super-sub rule, i dont really think their is much need for a second spinner to back up hogg even in the case of injury, i'm prretty sure Symo could do that role better than Cullen right now. Also i'm not sure if OD cricket would be the best way to introduce Cullen on the international stage either...

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
Katich does not belong in the Aussie ODI side. Simple as that.
He will go eventually, he is struglling to keep his head above water at the moment, it is only a matter of time before he drowns. Although I must admit he seems to have had more lives than most so far.

Langeveldt

Soutie
0-3 (although if we get to see the likes of Dorey and Tait playing, SA could be in with a shout at a test match)

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Langeveldt said:
0-3 (although if we get to see the likes of Dorey and Tait playing, SA could be in with a shout at a test match)
Thats a bit harsh! I would have thought home ground advantage would have counted for at least a drawn match in there somewhere!:blink:

Despite losing 2-0 here in Oz, the Saffies did quite well....

I reckon 1-0 to Australia....but that all depends on how Ntini, Nel and Kallis recover from their injuries in time or not.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Considering SA did extremely well in the Sydney test on a wicket I reckon didn't suit them very well without Ntini, and shouldn't have lost that match, I'd think Rich would have much more confidence in his team. :p On top of that 2-0 flattered the Aussies, and they played the 1st test without Kallis and Graeme Smith did absolutely nothing for them all series and yet they were extremely competitive.

I'm actually going to go 2-1 to Australia. I reckon there will be plenty of attacking cricket from the Aussies resulting in results (heh) for all tests, and I do see SA winning one so long as their bowlers and Kallis recover well. If they play tests with Steyn, Kruger or whomever then it'll be curtains for them however.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is the first time the new look Aussie side will be playing on foreign soil. It is the first tour since the Ashes also, so I don't think it will be that easy for the Aussies. If McGrath is missing we could be in a lot of trouble as I can see lee being very expensive on the Saffie pitches and can't see there being much assistance for Bracken either.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Jono said:
I'd think Rich would have much more confidence in his team.
Oh I have confidance in SA, I just don't think anyone can beat Australia at the moment (mind you I said that during the ashes so i hope i'm wrong again)

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Langeveldt said:
Oh I have confidance in SA, I just don't think anyone can beat Australia at the moment (mind you I said that during the ashes so i hope i'm wrong again)
Going for the old reverse psychology there?:laugh: