• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yep, the old conditions were hard excuse. Yet Watto has batted there before with resonable success. The clearest way of finding out how bad conditions were is checking the aggregated batting averages and run totals. As Coverdale says India had 5 men averaging more than 50. If conditions were that bad for batting there should be a proximity in batting averages for both teams.

Yes they are more adept at playing those conditions which is why our batsmen needed to observe and follow their examples. We didn't. Someone here (I forget who) said that if Siddle can be taught basic technique then why not our batsmen? Simple and fair point that got right to the issue. Our batsmen didn't have the technique and patience that our tailenders managed to apply.

I think Hughes has alot more disappointments coming his way. But he seems to be trying hard and we don't have the luxury of dropping him. Cowan is ltd but plays to it. Can't fault him either. Still not convinced by Smith but did much better than I thought. Grateful for Lyon's belated breakthrough. Our pace bowling is promising but not the finished article. Liking the potential of Starc.

Finally congratulations to India and their supporters. Those on here have been fair. Thanks for not rubbing it in too hard. :)
We are both ordinary sides mate.. I really don't think any of us can afford to take shots at the others' side.. :)

howardj

International Coach
From an Aus pov this tour has been an absolute disaster that has finally ended, this tour can do us some good if we are going to fix the shortcomings that were exposed during this tour but from previous experience that too is very unlikely to happen.

One thing is for sure that Arthur just shouldn't be allowed to ruin the Aussie national side anymore, his tactics have truly been atrocious and he's doing nothing other than turning Australian cricket into a joke.
Yeah, I certainly think Arthur and Clarke, as two of only three selectors on tour, have to take some heat for the way the side performed. There were some truly bizarre selections, and bowling changes. Also, fostering an environment where you need to suspend players on the Eve of a series-deciding Test in order to "draw a line in the sand", is poor.

Clarke's early series batting, Pattinson's bowling, and Smith's contribution were three of the few bright spots on this tour.

Wade, Cowan, Watson, Hughes, Maxwell, Doherty, Johnson and Henriques would all be waiting anxiously for the Ashes squad announcement

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
From an Aus pov this tour has been an absolute disaster that has finally ended, this tour can do us some good if we are going to fix the shortcomings that were exposed during this tour but from previous experience that too is very unlikely to happen.

One thing is for sure that Arthur just shouldn't be allowed to ruin the Aussie national side anymore, his tactics have truly been atrocious and he's doing nothing other than turning Australian cricket into a joke.

On the other hand not sure Indian cricket has gained anything from this series either, they generally played through the season on very poor pitches where they were beaten by England, a side that had a lot more experience and better spinners than either India or Australia. I am all for home advantage in terms of the pitch suiting the strengths of the home side, but doctoring the pitches to such an extent where average cricketers start looking way better than they are isn't a good thing for test cricket.

Test cricket should always be about the best cricketers from every nation going against each other in conditons that are challenging but at same time fair, if that isn't done then more and more series white-washes across the board will become a norm which won't be good news for test cricket.
India's average score in the series is 500. Not sure how can u call then the pitches are doctored.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah, I certainly think Arthur and Clarke, as two of only three selectors on tour, have to take some heat for the way the side performed. There were some truly bizarre selections, and bowling changes. Also, fostering an environment where you need to suspend players on the Eve of a series-deciding Test in order to "draw a line in the sand", is poor.

Clarke's early series batting, Pattinson's bowling, and Smith's contribution were three of the few bright spots on this tour.

Wade, Cowan, Watson, Hughes, Maxwell, Doherty, Johnson and Henriques would all be waiting anxiously for the Ashes squad announcement
For me Hughes' showing some resolve after a terrible start to the series was one little positive as well, didn't do us any good in this series but Hughesy showed he has the character to claw his way back from adverse situations, which is a good sign in the longer run for both him and the team.

For me the biggest disappointment in this series on the batting front were Warner and Watson, they both have decent amount of experience of playing in India but not only did they not score many runs, the way they played and got out consistently playing across the line was pathetic, they just looked like hacks straight out of a T20 side, the fact that one of them is the v-c and the other one aspires to be the next Aus skipper just makes the scenario a whole lot darker.

As for some selections, sure they were surprising but then they had to choose from the available players and tbt that initial squad itself had no real options that could do the job in these conditions, what I found ridiculous was the constant tinkering with the batting order and new ball opening bowling pair, as a leadership group if people like Rixon, Arthur and others don't have the most basic idea of what role a player is best suited for in the side, then don't have any right to continue in their positions.
India's average score in the series is 500. Not sure how can u call then the pitches are doctored.
India’s average score was 500 because Australia didn't have the spinners to exploit those conditions, in similar conditions when India faced Panesar and Swann they found scoring even 300 pretty hard.

the big bambino

International Captain
I can understand why they do it. Heat of the moment its hard to control yourself. But what you "say" in the reply in the heat of the moment explains what you are actually thinking and where your head is at, and it showed a lack of perspective from Warner imo. Know when you are getting your arse handed to you and just shut up and train the house down.
You know I don't think so. When you are cranky you just want to lash out and hurt someone. The fact people almost always regret what they say in the moment tells me that is the more genuine emotion and what they really believe.

Agree that it was a bit dull talking about mental toughness when your team and its members lost every collective and individual contest in the series.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Why couldn't they dish out a turner in Nagpur versus England instead of that strip of goo, we could've escaped with a 2-2 result then :ph34r: 6-2 would've felt so much sweeter than 5-2-1

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You know I don't think so. When you are cranky you just want to lash out and hurt someone. The fact people almost always regret what they say in the moment tells me that is the more genuine emotion and what they really believe.
You know what, the minute I posted that I thought "hmmm may not be right here". Willing to say original post was probably right.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Can't stand these high ratings for Jadeja.

Just ****ing pick Yuvraj or Raina at 7, they bowl better and are better at pretending to be batsmen anyway.