• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

MrPrez

International Debutant
I hardly reckon there are too many non-India-fanboys that are reading too much into this series tbf. I think we all know how horrible the Aussie team is in India.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Tendy is a great player and deserves to go out on his own terms but I can see him going the way of IVA and having people questioning his position in the game because he stays on too long
yeah reckon he won't be retiring for at least 1 more year... :laugh: (may even tour England and Aus once more, you never know... especially if he flukes a good performance in SA)

Having said that, how on earth can anyone expect him to perform well at age 40/41 in SA against the best bowlers?

If he avgs more than 30, it'll be some achievement. I doubt it though, especially because India will be going into that series after having not played for more than half a year...so I think he will have regressed much more and will be rusty..

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
yeah reckon he won't be retiring for at least 1 more year... :laugh: (may even tour England and Aus once more, you never know... especially if he flukes a good performance in SA)

Having said that, how on earth can anyone expect him to perform well at age 40/41 in SA against the best bowlers?

If he avgs more than 30, it'll be some achievement. I doubt it though, especially because India will be going into that series after having not played for more than half a year...so I think he will have regressed much more and will be rusty..
His last century (and one of his best) was in SA vs Steyn/Morkel....

Ok so it was 2-3 years ago but what's 2-3 years to a time lord :ph34r:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So India will be back to no.2 should NZ beat England in the ongoing test.

As Amish said, "Even The Greatest good becomes the Greatest Evil after it has done its time".
That seems pretty ****ed up. Away from home they lost 4-0 twice, and even at home they lost to the Poms.

Though it'll probably change soon enough, lol.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
That seems pretty ****ed up. Away from home they lost 4-0 twice, and even at home they lost to the Poms.

Though it'll probably change soon enough, lol.
1. SA
2. daylight
3. daylight
4. a bunch of former number 1's and pakistan
5. daylight
6. sri lanka, west indies, new zealand
7. daylight
8. daylight
9. daylight
10. zimbabwe, bangladesh

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think there are 2 daylights between SA and the rest either. They are ahead yeah, but won't say they are further ahead of the number 4's than the number 4's are of the Number 6's.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Since it seems to be in vogue:

Warner 3 - disappointing. Started off decently, but his temperament was terrible.
Cowan 6 - improved, and one of the few guys that showed fight.
Hughes 3.5 - seemed to show signs of fight and development, but looked bloody awful for large periods.
Clarke 8 - not quite as imperious as he has been, but he was our only century maker in the Tests. How we could've done with him in the last test.
Watson 1 - just **** off. **** batsman, **** captain, **** bloke, **** at studying, poofter.
Smith 7.5 - impressed me. Showed fight and ability.
Wade 1 - another **** ****. **** batsman, **** keeper.
Henriques 6 - good stuff in the first test. Poor otherwise.
Maxwell 2.5 - **** batsman, **** bowler. Watson's man-love was also infuriating. He gets extra points as his bowling kinda worked, unfortunately.
Lyon 5 - proved he was our best spinner, and should never have been dropped for donkeys such as Maxwell and Doherty. However, he was hammered when not taking wickets, so a mixed bunch.
Pattinson 7 - loses points for homeworkgate, but showed strong ability in wickets which didn't suit him. Will be gun eventually.
Siddle 6.5 - got a Michelle and scored runs, but was kinda limited. Mixed bag.
Doherty 3 - contained OK, but didn't look like a Test bowler. Any country that considers him as their best Test spinners needs questions asked.
Starc 2 - poor. Did little with the ball. Not mature enough yet for Test cricket, I'm afraid.
Johnson 1 - did nothing when he played. Yeah.

Vijay 9 - major surprise. Played a crucial innings in the last three tests to help India to victory.
Sehwag 1 - abysmal. Time to go.
Dhawan 10 - in his only test, didn't do anything wrong.
Pujara 9 - excellent as always. It is him rather than Kohli that is India's next big thing.
Tendulkar 5 - good knock in the first test, but is clearly not the batsman he was and if India didn't have a big tour coming up it should be time to go, I'm afraid.
Kohli 7.5 - pretty useful. Not quite as domineering as some of their other players, but good enough.
Rahane 1 - flopped. Hopefully for India's sake he isn't blacklisted.
Dhoni 8 - first innings knock was the textbook definition of a captain's knock. Was meh otherwise though, but it didn't really matter.
Jadeja 9 - not a Test batsman. But my god, in these conditions he's a Test bowler. Was excellent.
Ashwin 9.5 - excellent, though he took a bit of a backseat role towards the end. Deserved MOTS.
Ojha 5 - pretty unlucky to get ignored for Harbhajan initially. When bowling was meh but wasn't awful.
Harbhajan 3 - ineffective. There was worse though.
Sharma 4 - bowled OK, but still seemed pretty meh.
Kumar 6 - a couple of gun spells changed the game. Without him India wouldn't have won the third, and the first would've been more interesting. Value not in his figures.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I only just found out about Warner's tweets after watching ABC's Offsiders.

Holy mother of God. That just sums up the lack of discipline in that team. To take to Twitter and start spraying the opposition after 1 reasonable day of cricket from his team?

Come on. Offsiders panel rightly sticking it into the team culture and discipline after that.

I see Warner has now deleted those tweets.

Spark

Global Moderator

Holy mother of God. That just sums up the lack of discipline in that team. To take to Twitter and start spraying the opposition after 1 reasonable day of cricket from his team?

Come on. Offsiders panel rightly sticking it into the team culture and discipline after that.

Love Gerard Whatelely unloading. A national affront indeed.

Redbacks

International Captain

He actually started off with a positive tweet congratulating Lyon for taking 5 wickets. Then a fan boy chirped back saying the Aussies behavior was a disgrace to which Warner then made the tweet in question about tough cricket and mind games.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Series ratings

India

S Dhawan - 10/10. Can''t really ask more from someone who blasted the fastest ever debut 100 and averages 185
C Pujara - 9.5/10. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Nothing demonstrated more his immense talent than his batting on the 3rd day on a 7th day wicket. Also demonstrated enough nous to suggest this is a horse indeed for all courses.
M S Dhoni - 9.5/10. Captain fantastic indeed. Spanked that double which demoralized the Aussies for the rest of the tour. Captained his resources with acumen, and showed his ruthless side by dropping three veterans during this tour. And he wasn't gash by any standards with the gloves as well.
M Vijay - 9/10. Surprise package of the tour. Provided the much needed stability at the top of the order. Saved his usual brain freeze for the last innings of the series, but that's forgivable given the immense starts he gave. Still circumspect against quality bowling attacks, but who cares.
R Jadeja - 9/10. Another find of the tournament. Outbowled his fellow left armer Ojha by a distance. Surely has cemented his spot as the second spinner. If he manages to find some form with the bat during the intervening period, he'll be a lock-in as no.7 in the line up. The best thing about him was that he was able to double as both strike and stock bowler, evident from his haul of 24 wickets @ 17.45 with an ER of 2.16 which is unsurprisingly the best.
R Ashwin - 9/10. 4 matches. 4 fifers. 29 wickets @ 20. Bowled an average of 30+ overs in every innings. Champ.

V Kohli - 7/10. 284 runs @ 56.8 suggests he had a very good series. But by his standards, he has underperformed a bit.
P Ojha - 4.5/10. Below average performance. Was comfortably outbowled by Jadeja and has lost his spot as second spinner in the side. Still stroke crucial blows but he needs to revisit his skill set.
B Kumar & Ishant Sharma - 4.5/10. Really didn't have anything to do.
S Tendulkar - 4/10. Disappointment of the tour. Started with a bang, but fizzled out soon after. What's worrying is that he hasn't really looked out of form. Got starts and then got out. A similar trajectory was observed in the recently retired Ponting's career as well, who clearly overstayed his welcome in retrospect. The SA tour will be tough but he has always got going when it got tough. Probably looking at 200 tests and goodbye.
Rahane - No rating. Did nothing of note. Was overcome with nerves and had a massive brainfreeze in the second innings of the only test he played. Will remain confined to the benches in the short term. Feel for the fellow. But with time he'll hopefully make the big league.
Sehwag, Harbhajan - 1/10. Sad story of the series. Two veterans walking off into the sunset. But both have run their race and what races those have been!

the big bambino

International Captain
Yep, the old conditions were hard excuse. Yet Watto has batted there before with resonable success. The clearest way of finding out how bad conditions were is checking the aggregated batting averages and run totals. As Coverdale says India had 5 men averaging more than 50. If conditions were that bad for batting there should be a proximity in batting averages for both teams.

Yes they are more adept at playing those conditions which is why our batsmen needed to observe and follow their examples. We didn't. Someone here (I forget who) said that if Siddle can be taught basic technique then why not our batsmen? Simple and fair point that got right to the issue. Our batsmen didn't have the technique and patience that our tailenders managed to apply.

I think Hughes has alot more disappointments coming his way. But he seems to be trying hard and we don't have the luxury of dropping him. Cowan is ltd but plays to it. Can't fault him either. Still not convinced by Smith but did much better than I thought. Grateful for Lyon's belated breakthrough. Our pace bowling is promising but not the finished article. Liking the potential of Starc.

Finally congratulations to India and their supporters. Those on here have been fair. Thanks for not rubbing it in too hard. :)

Last edited: