• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2010

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
Clarke ready for IPL

IPL 2011: Michael Clarke weighs up IPL stint | Cricket News | Indian Premier League 2011 | Cricinfo.com

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: And a million $$ starting price on him

Michael Clarke's desire to improve his Twenty20 skills has got him thinking about taking part in the IPL for the first time - but only if his body is right. Clarke, Australia's captain in the shortest format, did not play in the opening three versions to spend extra time at home in Sydney.

Each year he weighs up a decision between making more money or having a holiday, and he hasn't always enjoyed a smooth relationship with Lalit Modi, the former commissioner. Modi is no longer involved in the tournament and Clarke is keeping an open mind about taking part.

"It's important for me to play as much Twenty20 cricket as I can but I've also got to sum up my body and my life when it comes to choosing between having that six weeks at home for a break or going to play IPL," Clarke said in the Sunday Telegraph. "If my body feels great and I'm confident I can go out and play those six weeks of the IPL, I'll put myself in the auction.

"But I've also got Test cricket and one-day cricket for Australia to think about, our schedule is very busy. If I felt like my body couldn't handle another six weeks of IPL, I wouldn't play it. It would make sense that the closer we get to the next Twenty20 World Cup, the more I'll want to play."

Clarke said the IPL had helped develop players, and not just in the T20 arena. "I would love, no doubt, to take part in the IPL," he said. "It's just a matter of when I might be able to play it."

In Matthew Hayden's autobiography he wrote about how the Australian players realised they weren't running the show and quickly learned that Modi was dismissive of excessive demands. "Michael Clarke found that out in a hurry," Hayden wrote. "I remember him saying to Modi, 'I'm worth X amount of dollars.' Modi laughed at him."

pasag

RTDAS
Clarke wouldn't make any IPL side top 4 internationals. Maybe the Goa Goats, if he's lucky. Would get more money doing a few extra ads in Australia then what he'd be on in the IPL, assuming anyone takes him, which is a big assumption.

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
Clarke wouldn't make any IPL side top 4 internationals. Maybe the Goa Goats, if he's lucky. Would get more money doing a few extra ads in Australia then what he'd be on in the IPL, assuming anyone takes him, which is a big assumption.
RCB like test players.....

smash84

The Tiger King

"In Matthew Hayden's autobiography he wrote about how the Australian players realised they weren't running the show and quickly learned that Modi was dismissive of excessive demands. "Michael Clarke found that out in a hurry," Hayden wrote. "I remember him saying to Modi, 'I'm worth X amount of dollars.' Modi laughed at him."

Ouch........that must have hurt Clarke. One of the funnier comments below this article in cricinfo

Posted by Gautam Shenoy on (October 24 2010, 08:16 AM GMT)
Modi laughed at Clarke?? I finally feel some respect for Modi!!

:laugh:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I'd love an attacking leftie up there. Could be Wade or anyone else really, Warner. Paine and Marsh both are attacking once set, but that can take 20 overs. Marsh is never fast scoring early and i'm not sure Paine is good enough to be the main aggressor. Haddin is good, but not sure if he's really long term. Wade is just amazing IMO, can play all the shots and isnt just a slogger. Bloody terrific player.
Based on seeing Wade in the last two champions league tournaments. I dont like his technique for opening internatioanlly TBF. If he ends up playing for AUS in ODIs, he looks better suited to batting down the order.

kingjulian

U19 12th Man
Ian Chappel turns in a spanking new article on a slow day.

When in India, don't just rely on spin
If you're a visiting captain, pick a variety of quality bowlers - fast and slow. And if you're a batsman up against slow bowlers, watch the ball closely and use your feet
Ian Chappell

October 24, 2010

When his Australian team was enjoying unprecedented success, Steve Waugh described India as "the last frontier". It's time to scrap that title and adopt a new one: India, the place where Australian spinners go to die. On recent tours there has been a steady parade of Australian spinners who have "died" quicker than a dull comedian.

Even the best of them, Shane Warne, while he didn't expire, didn't prosper. The most successful of the recent Australian spinners was Jason Krejza, and even though he took a bundle of wickets in one match, he paid a heavy price for each. And since that tour Krejza's been banished to the back blocks of Tasmania.

Is it the ability of India's batsmen to counter good spinners or are the selected tweakers not up to the task? It's a combination of both.

There's no doubt Indian batsmen are superior to their counterparts in other teams when it comes to playing spinners. I asked Warne how he thought he performed, following the 2000-01 tour. "I didn't think I bowled that badly," was his response. "You didn't," I replied, "it was just that batsmen like VVS Laxman played you so well."

As good as he was, Warne couldn't combat a player who could dance three metres out of his crease and caress the delivery past mid-on and then sashay back to the stumps and pull the next one to the midwicket boundary. I haven't seen a batsman with better footwork than Laxman during that superlative 281 in Kolkata.

However, there's no doubt the Australian spinners offered up in 2008-09 were a bunch of sacrificial lambs. The idea of using Cameron White, himself a part-timer, with a series of batsmen who bowled slow, was a flawed plan right from the outset. It received its just desserts: a 2-0 flogging.

By the time Australia played a frontline spinner, the series was all over bar the shouting, and Krejza's wicket-taking spree was wasted. On that tour Australia planned to rely on their pacemen to take the bulk of the wickets, hoping that batsmen who bowled slow would then pick off a few of the rabbits.

Australia is not the first team to try this ruse. The difference is the quality of the West Indies quicks who achieved success in India during the eighties. For president Bill Clinton, it may have been the economy, but for cricket selectors "it's the quality of the bowlers, stupid".

I asked Warne how he thought he performed following the 2000-01 tour; "I didn't think I bowled that badly," was his response. "You didn't," I replied, "it was just that batsmen like VVS Laxman played you so well."

I'm not surprised Indian batsmen play spinners without fear. I thought I knew a thing or two about playing spin before the Australian tour of India in 1969-70. However, I learned lessons about playing spin on that tour that stood me in good stead for the rest of my career. I never feared spinners or pitches that assisted them ever again.

Watch the ball out of the bowler's hand and then follow it even more closely off the pitch was lesson No. 1. Finding a way to survive the first 20 minutes was next on the list. These were important lessons.

I would have hated to enter the contest with the Indian spinners thinking I wasn't going to leave my crease. This is a huge failing in modern coaching and the sooner young batsmen are taught the correct footwork, the better equipped they'll be to tackle all conditions.

On that 1969-70 tour, Australian offspinner Ashley Mallett bowled brilliantly and took 28 wickets at under 20. Certainly the quality of the Indian batting line-up didn't match that of the present team, but they were still good enough to combat John Gleeson. The Indian batsmen forced the Australian selectors to omit the man dubbed "the mystery bowler" from the last two Tests.

Prior to Mallett, Richie Benaud took 52 wickets at less than 20 in eight Tests in India. However, it's worth noting that left-arm fast bowler Alan Davidson, in Benaud's time, and right-arm fast bowler Graham McKenzie, on Mallett's tour, had good success, taking their wickets at below 20.

The moral of the story: if you want to experience success in India, pick a variety of quality bowlers - both fast and spin. There has only been one team - the West Indies of the eighties - that could survive on quality fast bowling alone.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ian Chappel turns in a spanking new article on a slow day.

:laugh:

---

Is anyone feeling as if Hopes has flown under the radar somewhat? With Watson firing on all cylinders nowadays I just feel his spot has become a little redundant...

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Modi WAFG.

IPL to go downhill now that it's in the clutches of the BCCI traditional hiearchy.
Get a grip

A "former employee of the IPL" is now begging Iceland for a passport to escape extradition to his own country whilst flying around in a private jet and basing himself in a home at Eton Square

Do the friggin' math!

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Get a grip

A "former employee of the IPL" is now begging Iceland for a passport to escape extradition to his own country whilst flying around in a private jet and basing himself in a home at Eton Square

Do the friggin' math!
how does that change the fact that the guys running IPL now will do a lesser job of it in terms of paying players and franchises and others involved properly..

Make no mistake, it is just replacement of nepotism towards Modi's guys to nepotism towards Srinivasan's guys.. That is all that has happened. If you got some stupid vision of more transparency in IPL etc., you are going to wake up to a disturbing reality soon. :)

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
how does that change the fact that the guys running IPL now will do a lesser job of it in terms of paying players and franchises and others involved properly..

Make no mistake, it is just replacement of nepotism towards Modi's guys to nepotism towards Srinivasan's guys.. That is all that has happened. If you got some stupid vision of more transparency in IPL etc., you are going to wake up to a disturbing reality soon. :)
No doubt that there are question marks surrounding the people now running the IPL but let's not eulogise Modi - the guy is "allegedly" a **** who deserves everything that is coming in his direction

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No doubt that there are question marks surrounding the people now running the IPL but let's not eulogise Modi - the guy is "allegedly" a **** who deserves everything that is coming in his direction
The point is, while he was a **** at a lot of things, at least he gave others a reasonably fair share of the pie. He is now replaced by people who are just the same **** in all those things AND who will make sure no one else gets much of a share of the pie. Trust me, its gonna be downhill for IPL now.