• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2010

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha nah, their lineup is just weak. Their bottom six in the last match consisted of Smith, Hopes, Hauritz, Hastings, Starc and McKay.
It's their lower order which has generally dragged Australia to par scores. Their top order is pretty weak at the moment.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's a four letter word that starts with a B and ends with an I.

Try getting involved in one of the local cricket or state associations and you'll know what I mean.
That's why I made the point that "it'll be because of issues other than talent pool"

Spent a few hours watching cricket today on the grounds next to the Mumbai High Court near the Taj and sent a few balls down in the nets - great stuff

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah exactly. Social's point was basically if India had systems as strong as some other nations, or improved it to be similar, plus removed some of the politics out of it's Board, it'd probably dominate cricket, or be close to doing so.

I think it's a reasonably fair statement. 1 billion people + the money and facilities it CAN have (if corruption does not occur + a stable board is a pretty tough thing to conquer.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Best part of my trip was that I bought my son a MRF bat with a "genuine" Sachin signature from Crawford Makets for 40 rupees (roughly 4 dirhams or 1 US dollar)

Worst part was that it took me about 20 minutes to beat the 10 year old salesman down from a couple of bucks :laugh:

sifter132

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It's their lower order which has generally dragged Australia to par scores. Their top order is pretty weak at the moment.
Indeed. We badly need an opener opposite Watson. Haddin started out with a bang, but hasn't done much/been fit in the last 18 months - but I guess he is still the best medium term solution as it lets us play Ponting, Clarke, Hussey and White in the middle. Of the others since, Paine is too slow and doesn't rotate the strike enough. Marsh looks fidgety. I actually think Ricky Ponting would be the best partner for Watson, but I doubt he's open to the idea of opening, and he probably won't be playing ODI cricket for too much longer so it's not a long term solution. But with Ponting at the top, you'd have Clarke at #3 and Haddin could float in the order and target the bowlers he fancies.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
I'd love an attacking leftie up there. Could be Wade or anyone else really, Warner. Paine and Marsh both are attacking once set, but that can take 20 overs. Marsh is never fast scoring early and i'm not sure Paine is good enough to be the main aggressor. Haddin is good, but not sure if he's really long term. Wade is just amazing IMO, can play all the shots and isnt just a slogger. Bloody terrific player.

Spark

Global Moderator
I am confused. How could a full-strenght AUS top-order be weak?

Watson
Haddin
Ponting
Clarke
Add White and Hussey to that and yeah, not quite sure how that's "weak".

Indeed. We badly need an opener opposite Watson. Haddin started out with a bang, but hasn't done much/been fit in the last 18 months - but I guess he is still the best medium term solution as it lets us play Ponting, Clarke, Hussey and White in the middle. Of the others since, Paine is too slow and doesn't rotate the strike enough. Marsh looks fidgety. I actually think Ricky Ponting would be the best partner for Watson, but I doubt he's open to the idea of opening, and he probably won't be playing ODI cricket for too much longer so it's not a long term solution. But with Ponting at the top, you'd have Clarke at #3 and Haddin could float in the order and target the bowlers he fancies.
He's opened quite a few times, with success. So has Clarke, for that matter (but that was when he was still, erm, good)

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The key is definitely Watson, if he can get through his 10 overs it means we can play 7 batsman.

My XI with everyone fit and assuming Clarke has to play would be:
1 Watson 2 Haddin 3 Ponting 4 Clarke 5 White 6 Hussey 7 Ferguson 8 Johnson 9 Doherty 10 Harris 11 Bollinger

Without Clarke, you could move White, Huss, Ferguson up a spot and pick the usually economical Hopes or someone like Smith I guess.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Looks like we won't get a game today fellas.

Disappointing, but whilst I wanted to watch cricket, I'm glad Dhoni is getting some rest. Reckon he has been overworked as of late.

Ruckus

International Captain
Looks like we won't get a game today fellas.

Disappointing, but whilst I wanted to watch cricket, I'm glad Dhoni is getting some rest. Reckon he has been overworked as of late.
India epic whitewash of that ODI series!

Ruckus

International Captain
Its lucky those test matches were of exceptional quality, because otherwise this tour of India would have failed to redeem cricket from the pitiful depths of the match fixing fiasco.