• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2010

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
C.White is good enough to bat higher up the order tbh. He needs to face more deliveries for his ability to score runs quickly.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, my previous post had a slightly too critical tone in hindsight. But I still think the Aussies- and by that I mainly mean Clarke- left it waaaay too late to accelerate. Not to relinquish the bowlers of any blame because it's a score they should be making a decent fist of defending, but it's an inexperienced attack and the Indian batting lineup is excellent. You need to take these things into account when setting a total imo. If you finish a first innings in India with only three wickets down, you should really have more than 290 runs to play with.
Cant expect much more from Clarke really. Thats how he plays, he is not a hitter.

Today innings was similar to that 1st ODI vs ENG earlier this summer gone. Which is the only problem with him slightly in ODIs. In a perfect scenario Clarke would score his runs(a 50) in the middle overs & get out in before the last 10 overs begins. Which usually has been the case in his ODI career.

But of late he is scoring hundreds & he has ended up batting in the last 10 overs. Where his lacking big-hitting ability which makes him a joke T20 player gets exposed. Thus hitters like White, Hussey have to do that slogging work.

Its a minor flaw that i think AUS could tolerate from him. Since 90-95% its not going to cost Australia.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
First time seeing Starc & along with seeing Pattinson, George & Hazlewood earlier this (only have to see Copeland) all the young AUS quicks look very promising as the hype suggested. It further defies logic why AUS have been wasting time since 2008 in tests playing a spinner, when the bowling strenght & depth clearly is in the fast-bowling stocks. SMH

robelinda

Upset AGAIN with Clarke. We would have gotten even more thrashed if not for White, cant leave it up everyone else to get a move on. Its not 1986 Mr Clarke, and your name isnt Geoff Marsh. Is there a more useless batsman in the powerplay than Clarke?? If this is how we are going to play in the WC then i'll be a very sad aussie. Cant just dick around for 20 odd overs in the middle of an innings and hope like all hell that someone goes nuts and gets the team to a defendable score.

robelinda

First time seeing Starc & along with seeing Pattinson, George & Hazlewood earlier this (only have to see Copeland) all the young AUS quicks look very promising as the hype suggested. It further defies logic why AUS have been wasting time since 2008 in tests playing a spinner, when the bowling strenght & depth clearly is in the fast-bowling stocks. SMH
Agree totally. Copeland and Starc are better than Pattinson, George and Hazelwood.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Upset AGAIN with Clarke. We would have gotten even more thrashed if not for White, cant leave it up everyone else to get a move on. Its not 1986 Mr Clarke, and your name isnt Geoff Marsh. Is there a more useless batsman in the powerplay than Clarke?? If this is how we are going to play in the WC then i'll be a very sad aussie. Cant just dick around for 20 odd overs in the middle of an innings and hope like all hell that someone goes nuts and gets the team to a defendable score.
To be fair i thought Clarke played well up until the last 10 over. He came in with the side in trouble and needing some stability and once he found his groove he did just that. If we had of last Clarke early trying to hit big chances are our collapse would have continued. I agree in most cases he is too slow and at the death he showed he doesn't know what he's doing again but the middle 20 overs were what the game called for. All that being said in past games Clarke annoys the hell out of me when he tries to play this stabilizing innings when we are already off to a flyer and just need quick runs! Seems he only plays in one mode which works at times and other times it doesn.t

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
As i mentioned before sir rob. We really cant expect anything more from Clarke. He is not a hitter.

Your #4 isn't meant to be an awesome finisher. He's typically going to be batting overs 15-40. In a full-strenght AUS ODI XI:

Watson
Haddin
Ponting
Clarke
White
Hussey
Hopes
Smith
Johnson
Bollinger
Tait/Lee/Harris

I dont mind a player like Clarke @ 4. Since you got so much dashers around him.

TumTum

Banned
I'd say Hazlewood is the worst of the lot that i've seen ATS, TBH.
Well I seen his U19 WC performance and it was awesome. In comparison both Starc and George look like wild and inconsistent bowlers, plus I haven't seen them get any significant movement off the pitch.

Hazlewood is the only one that can bowl accurately at the top of off stump ball after ball. With Starc you get the feeling he is bowling way too many half-volleys outside off stump and George is bowling too short and legside-ish.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
As i mentioned before sir rob. We really cant expect anything more from Clarke. He is not a hitter.

Your #4 isn't meant to be an awesome finisher. He's typically going to be batting overs 15-40. In a full-strenght AUS ODI XI:

Watson
Haddin
Ponting
Clarke
White
Hussey
Hopes
Smith
Johnson
Bollinger
Tait/Lee/Harris

I dont mind a player like Clarke @ 4. Since you got so much dashers around him.
I'm sorry but Harris is an absolute lock in this team, even more so with the average bowlers around him.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah **** that. Am quite happy having Clarke come in at 4 and eat up deliveries thanks.
No one was saying that at 2-16. Didn't think there was a hell of a lot wrong with his knock tbh. He might have hit out more in the last few overs but I'd suggest he was rat-arsed from the heat and humidity.

Happy to bag him a lot of the time but I thought today he was ok.

Top_Cat

Yeah, agreed. Usually the first to knock him but I didn't see much wrong with the way he played. The damage was done very early with Paine and Marsh. Put what the rest of the order did on top of a decent start and 300+ was a given.

Top_Cat

Not a lot wrong with any of the Aussie young quicks either, far too early to be deciding who's going to be a success at the top level. They've all got positives and negatives at this point and, tbh, think you'd get a similar performance picking any of them.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well I seen his U19 WC performance and it was awesome. In comparison both Starc and George look like wild and inconsistent bowlers, plus I haven't seen them get any significant movement off the pitch.

Hazlewood is the only one that can bowl accurately at the top of off stump ball after ball. With Starc you get the feeling he is bowling way too many half-volleys outside off stump and George is bowling too short and legside-ish.
Ye Hazlewood was awesome in that Under 19 WC, i saw that. But on his first taste on international cricket in ENG this summer, he didn't look that great TBH. But i still rate his potential long term, since has that fast-bowlers look about him

All of the rest of the bowles also have better FC records & have impressed more in the early stages in the international exposure they have had IMO.

When i first saw Starc today for a moment i thought it was Johnson bowling. haha.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sorry but Harris is an absolute lock in this team, even more so with the average bowlers around him.
Nah i wouldn't call him a lock in the first XI regardless of how well he has bowled in the last year in ODIs. Thats mainly due to the quality of competition.

Who are the average bowlers around him?.