• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in England

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Last edited:

social

With Hauritz gone, I have no problem with giving using McKay and Hazelwood in alternate games as backup to Bollinger, Harris and Tait with Watson/Smith/Hopes to make up the final 10

They both need the experience, we'll never know whether they're any good unless they actually play a few games and McKay in particular looks the type of bowler who needs overs to get rhythm

Spark

Global Moderator
What is the point of any cricket match really? I don't get all the complaining regarding this series, just sit back and enjoy it for what it's worth. Plus playing a lot of one-day cricket before the world cup can only be a good thing.

The main issue with this series is scheduling it at the same time as Wimbledon and the World Cup though. Not a lot of sense having it at the same time of two of the biggest sporting events in the world. Not saying cricket should be dictated by other sports, but should make an exception here.
But that's the thing. Ordinarily when your country plays there are associated notions of national pride, and you're disappointed when your team disappoints.

But this time... beyond Clarke looking genuinely off, Johnson almost certainly being ice-cold as a result of this, Hauritz being injured...

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Spark, the reason is the same for any match or series, in any sport. Competition, to prove you are better than your opponent(s).

That article you posted seemed pretty stupid to me.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Spark, the reason is the same for any match or series, in any sport. Competition, to prove you are better than your opponent(s).

That article you posted seemed pretty stupid to me.
That's the reason for the players to take part, the reasoning for the scheduling to begin with is what the article is on about.

iamdavid

International Debutant
With Hauritz gone, I have no problem with giving using McKay and Hazelwood in alternate games as backup to Bollinger, Harris and Tait with Watson/Smith/Hopes to make up the final 10

They both need the experience, we'll never know whether they're any good unless they actually play a few games and McKay in particular looks the type of bowler who needs overs to get rhythm
I really don't see the point in peserevering with McKay to be honest, I know his ODI figures so far demand that he be given at least a couple more games before he's discarded, but I just don't see him doing any sort of job at this level long term.

Even at his best he's going to be a decidedly average third seamer, capable of doing a job but lacking the attributes to really threaten good players at international level. They'd be better off just giving Hazelwood a few more games imo, he's raw but at least there's a pretty good chance he'll develop into a bowler worthy of playing at this level, and I really don't think there's much between him and McKay now...at least Hazelwood can bowl a heavy ball.

davidgdafter

Cricket Spectator
I am not overly bothered about Taity coming back into the squad. Will be interesting to see how someone like Morgan plays against him. I would also like to see the Aussies play Hazlewood in all the remaining games and show some faith in him. It would make you feel 1 hundred feet tall knowing you have the backing of your captain, team mates and management....even if he occasionally takes a spanking, figures wise. Surely they need to be building like most teams do for the world cup.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I am not overly bothered about Taity coming back into the squad. Will be interesting to see how someone like Morgan plays against him. I would also like to see the Aussies play Hazlewood in all the remaining games and show some faith in him. It would make you feel 1 hundred feet tall knowing you have the backing of your captain, team mates and management....even if he occasionally takes a spanking, figures wise. Surely they need to be building like most teams do for the world cup.
Personally looking forward to Morgan bringing out the 'reverse reverse sweep' against Tait.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Tait has lost the edge with his pace recently. He bowled a few spells at around 135-145kph during the IPL and at that speed, he is harmless. However, if he can crank it up to 150kph, then he might be able to have somewhat of an impact. He hasn't been doing massively well for Glamorgan this year in T20, will be interesting to see how he does in ODI cricket.

social

Tait has lost the edge with his pace recently. He bowled a few spells at around 135-145kph during the IPL and at that speed, he is harmless. However, if he can crank it up to 150kph, then he might be able to have somewhat of an impact. He hasn't been doing massively well for Glamorgan this year in T20, will be interesting to see how he does in ODI cricket.
Same guy that bowled 160 in Oz this summer and averaged over 150 at the WC :laugh:

Maybe there's a teensie weensie bit of difference between playing for your country and playing as a mercenary