• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

tooextracool

International Coach
howardj said:
I don't think the chasm is quite that big. And certainly 65 wickets @ 21 with an economy rate of 3.35 in his only full season of FC cricket, indicates that his off days are few and far between. Much more rare than many people on here are arguing. It just seems that it's fashionable to be dramatic in one's descriptions, but it shouldn't be at the expense of accuracy.
its also quite possible for him to have been more accurate in one season, than what he actually is on average. although it must be said that ER's dont always go far in proving how accurate a bowler actually is.
and didnt he play a full season in 03/04?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FWIW I'd definitely go with Kasper. I've been advocating his inclusion since before the first test & am not going to change my mind now. He's a wonderful, broad-backed sort of a bowler, more than capable of operating in long spells. He swings the ball & can move it both ways with no real obvious change in his action. His angle to left-handers always causes probs &, of course, we have two at the top of our order. I know he's made a thing of his ability to reverse the ball, but I haven't seen too much of it from him & at his pace I think will be less of a threat than Fred or Jones; I just think he's making his case in the media using the current bete noir of the Oz top 7.

Tait is the braver pick, obviously. In a way the pressure is off him 'cos after his attack of the yips @ Durham his reputation over here is pretty low (see Marc's & TEC's posts qv :D ). I've never seen him bowl, so can't really comment, but I suspect if he plays he'll be targeted in the same way as Dizzy has been. & I think one or two of the more vociferous batters in our team might just remind him of those performances in the last English FC season.....

howardj

International Coach
tooextracool said:
its also quite possible for him to have been more accurate in one season, than what he actually is on average. although it must be said that ER's dont always go far in proving how accurate a bowler actually is.
and didnt he play a full season in 03/04?
7 games in that summer.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
You know what lads this hype with Tait is some much the KP/thorpe situation at the start of the test series. Everyone was saying even though KP had should good promise in the ODI's that Thorpe has to play & England shouldn't risk him for such an important test series & look how KP has responded :D

Now most aussies here are saying go for the work-horse Kasper at such crucial stage of the test & dont risk the race-horse Tait :p , i think he should be giving a go Australia should show the same faith in youth has England did with KP & Bell, plus most of Australia's former test players are routing for Tait so am I, Tait for Debut yup yup :cool:

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
aussie said:
bad news for England, they haven't won an Ashes test at TB since 1977, :p ah welllllll
Some crumb of comfort for you then :p

TBH though, I think the history book has been ripped up for this series.

chalky

International Debutant
greg said:
BBC reporting McGrath could be OUT of 4th test with right elbow complaint. More to follow...
Looks like Hoggy might be right about these geriatric aussie bowlers not lasting the series. I hear Keith Miller just missed out on the squad. :D

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm still amazed at the (expected but exceptional) dumbness of the media in this country (and Warne to a degree), the usual minute or two on cricket in BBC1/ITV's news at 10.00/10.30 and they both come up with the usual guff about Warne fires a warning to England... so what do they do - they show the clip of Warne waffling and the first thing he says is 'talk is cheap' which is followed by him guaranteeing two strong Australian performances. You'd have thought the media would have a single remaining brain cell to help figure out that they should edit out the 'talk is cheap' line wouldn't you? (well ok maybe not)

Mister Wright

Sunrise News has just said that McGrath's inclusing is highly unlikely and is undergoing intensive treatment to overcome injury for the 4th test.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mister Wright said:
Sunrise News has just said that McGrath's inclusing is highly unlikely and is undergoing intensive treatment to overcome injury for the 4th test.
Assuming you meant "inclusion", it'll be interesting to see the subsequent course of action. Kasprowicz getting in has to be the most obvious answer, a real kick in the guts for Gillespie. It'll be good for Tait to take the new ball, prevents him coming on at 0/50 and copping a hammering if Strauss and Tresco had seen off the new ball. Fate is in his own hands now.

Mister Wright

vic_orthdox said:
Assuming you meant "inclusion", it'll be interesting to see the subsequent course of action. Kasprowicz getting in has to be the most obvious answer, a real kick in the guts for Gillespie. It'll be good for Tait to take the new ball, prevents him coming on at 0/50 and copping a hammering if Strauss and Tresco had seen off the new ball. Fate is in his own hands now.
Yeah, I did mean inclusion (typo).

It will be very interesting which way they go. You'd like to think Kaspa would get a shot, but then you would have thought he would have been a straight swap for Gillespie aswell.