• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Oh come on, 2 months early. Must be looking forward to us getting mauled. Well, i got news for you mate. :D
 

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Okay, tips? There's been a lot of other threads about the Ashes already, so most of us have already made them.

Mine is 3-1 Australia. They will go 2-0 up after 2 or 3 tests, England will get one back and have a hope of equalling it in the 5th, but lose that as well. Largely Australia will be in control of the series, but watch for at least one or two major batting collapses when Hoggard, Harmy and Flintoff get things right. Leading English batsman will be Strauss, Vaughan will do well while Thorpe and Pietersen will struggle, and watch for Flintoff to have one brilliant century and struggle for the rest of the series. Leading English bowler will be Hoggard, who will do the hard work throughout the series and come out of it averaging under 30, unlike the other English bowlers.

For Australia, Ponting and Martyn will dominate with the bat, Hayden will continue to have a rough time of it aside from maybe one knock, and Clarke will struggle early in the series but then come good. Gilchrist to hit a mandatory century as well. McGrath the leading wicket taker, followed by Warne... same old. Kasprowicz will do enough throughout the series to just keep Lee on the sidelines barring injury, and will terrorise the English left-handers with the odd spell, but won't have a great time of it.

Australia to go undefeated through the ODIs, with Lee and Symonds having an excellent run.
 

Scallywag

Banned
Strange that you have selected Ponting and Martyn to dominate with the bat when England bowlers are the worst against left handed batsmen.

Aus have Langer Hayden Gilchrist and Katich who are left handed with Hussey also a leftie, Eng will need to be bowling at their best to contain the Aussies but I dont htink they will have the firepower to blast them out twice in one game.

Dont be suprised to see Lee get a test and to do well when the chance comes up.

Aus 4-0
 

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
Strange that you have selected Ponting and Martyn to dominate with the bat when England bowlers are the worst against left handed batsmen.
Didn't the Windies have a lot of lefties?
 

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I think it'll be 3-1 to Australia :(


In a perfect world it would be 5-0 to England, with Flintoff and Vaughan scoring centuries out of their a***s and Anderson, Sajid Mahmood and Flintoff (in between bowling Lancashire to the quadruple of the championship Div 2, C&G, National League div 1 and Twenty20 ;) ) spearheading the England attack which tames Hayden, Ponting, Langer, Martyn, Gilchrist and Clarke, who only score the one century between them whilst Glenn McGrath shows them how to do it with 2. The Aussies go home dejected and a long period of England dominance. In the end, Australia get so desperate they get the scummy Chris "I think I'm bigger than Lancashire so when they sack me I take them to court" Schofield to go over there and play for New South Wales whilst waiting for him to qualify for residency so he can play for them. However, he gets sent to prison after it being found out he was an illegal immigrant and lives torturously ever after.
After that little bit to show mr Schofield that NOBODY is bigger than Lancashire, the Ashes would be contested competitively and fairly forever and ever. The End
 

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
Strange that you have selected Ponting and Martyn to dominate with the bat when England bowlers are the worst against left handed batsmen.
Kallis was easily the best South African batsman, and last time I checked he wasn't left-handed. I expect Ponting and Martyn to average over 50 in the series and do the best of the lot, not necessarily for everyone else to fail.

Scallywag said:
Dont be suprised to see Lee get a test and to do well when the chance comes up.
If he gets a shot I expect him to do well, but I can't see him getting one unless Kasprowicz continues to fail.
 

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
3-1 to Australia. I'm not going to pick out players for individual performances, because it's about team strength - and this Australian team have enough of that to more than match the second-best team in the world.

Put me down in the 'Brett will do well if he gets into the side' camp too
 

Langeveldt

Soutie
4-0 mauling in my book.. And thats not because England are sub-par or anything, Australia just play a different game..
 

duffer

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
I think it'll be 3-1 to Australia :(


In a perfect world it would be 5-0 to England, with Flintoff and Vaughan scoring centuries out of their a***s and Anderson, Sajid Mahmood and Flintoff (in between bowling Lancashire to the quadruple of the championship Div 2, C&G, National League div 1 and Twenty20 ;) ) spearheading the England attack which tames Hayden, Ponting, Langer, Martyn, Gilchrist and Clarke, who only score the one century between them whilst Glenn McGrath shows them how to do it with 2. The Aussies go home dejected and a long period of England dominance. In the end, Australia get so desperate they get the scummy Chris "I think I'm bigger than Lancashire so when they sack me I take them to court" Schofield to go over there and play for New South Wales whilst waiting for him to qualify for residency so he can play for them. However, he gets sent to prison after it being found out he was an illegal immigrant and lives torturously ever after.
After that little bit to show mr Schofield that NOBODY is bigger than Lancashire, the Ashes would be contested competitively and fairly forever and ever. The End

heh :D
 

Scallywag

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
Kallis was easily the best South African batsman, and last time I checked he wasn't left-handed. I expect Ponting and Martyn to average over 50 in the series and do the best of the lot, not necessarily for everyone else to fail.

.
England seem to have a weakness against Left handers and I expect Aus to take full advantage of it.
 

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
England seem to have a weakness against Left handers and I expect Aus to take full advantage of it.
Really?

Could you reveal your sources, please? I believe that the West Indies, New Zealand and South Africa all had the odd southpaw in their sides.
 

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
However, he gets sent to prison after it being found out he was an illegal immigrant and lives torturously ever after.
Not for stealing a loaf like the rest of them? :whistling
 

biased indian

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Not an England fan?
ya of the 10 available they would be last on my list. but only just below Aus
but since its between these two and off late england had some decent performance and has been flying way too high so i want them to come back to the ground :)
 

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
biased indian said:
ya of the 10 available they would be last on my list. but only just below Aus
but since its between these two and off late england had some decent performance and has been flying way too high so i want them to come back to the ground :)
For a moment I thought that you were talking about the supporters there
 

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Really?

Could you reveal your sources, please? I believe that the West Indies, New Zealand and South Africa all had the odd southpaw in their sides.
he has a point, to an extent. harmison has always been considered to be a better bowler against right handers than against left handers and hoggard has always been better at bowling the ball that leaves the right hander than the one that leaves the left hander.
 

Top