• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

tooextracool said:
its not exactly a wicket that i'd be particularly proud of. buying one thanks to a brilliant catch on the boundary.
Warne got hit for six, so adjusted, went from a wider angle, tossed it up a bit more, gets the wicket straight away next ball.

Brilliant bowling.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Shane Warne said:
Warne got hit for six, so adjusted, went from a wider angle, tossed it up a bit more, gets the wicket straight away next ball.

Brilliant bowling.
Nah i do believe it was lucky on warnes behalf and rather stupid of peitersen to attempt the same shot twice in a row

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shane Warne said:

Brilliant bowling.
I wholeheartedly agree (if the highlights are anything to go by) - the ball was held back on a slightly higher trajectory, as you say a little wider too. The duel between your man and the stripey gremlin could become the contest of the series.

Still going for 3-1

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
King_Ponting said:
whats the weather like at lords atm?
Drizzling.

The heavy rain is coming in from the west (I'm in Bristol which is way to the west of London and it has been pouring here for hours)

a massive zebra

International Captain
I was right all along - they should have dropped Giles for Thorpe. This move would have substantially increased our batting resources without compromising any bowling capabilities.

Giles will not trouble a quality side unless the pitch really suits him so we would not have lost any bowling firepower by dropping him, and Flintoff is nowhere near reliable enough for a Test number 6 and the same could be said of Jones at 7. A very vulnerable bottom 6.

If they had dropped Giles for Thorpe I believe that with this substantial batting backbone we would have had a good chance of at least drawing the match if not winning it, but if they continue to persist with Giles and pick just 5 batsman a whitewash is surely on the cards.

The abominable disposition of Thorpe has ultimately lead to his retirement and therefore cost England the Ashes IMO.

My team for the next test (not that the selectors will even contemplate this selection)

Trescothick
Strauss
Pietersen
Vaughan (cp)
Thorpe (Yes he has retired but this would not have happened if he was selected for the first Test and I would not have dropped him)
Bell
Flintoff
Read (wk)
Tremlett
Hoggard
Harmison

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
I was right all along...

My team for the next test (not that the selectors will even contemplate this selection)...

Trescothick
Strauss
Pietersen
Vaughan (cp)
Thorpe (Yes he has retired but this would not have happened if he was selected for the first Test and I would not have dropped him)
Bell
Flintoff
Read (wk)
Tremlett
Hoggard
Harmison
Can't beat a bit of panic, can you?

You start a post by berating the selectors for dropping Thorpe as the reason for losing the Ashes then you jump on the wicket-keeper bandwagon by bringing back Read (that at least is one area I do agree with you) - but the really strange move is dropping Simon Jones for Tremlett, yet you DON'T drop Flintoff or Hoggard.

You didn't just put names on a dartboard, did you?

Dydl

International Debutant
I'm hoping the start of play isn't delayed for too long...but there should be some play in the day...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Various "experts" are babbling on Aus tv at the moment due to the rain delays.

Dean Jones has voiced the opinion that Trescothick should be dropped as his technique makes him a sitting duck against the new ball and Warne if he happens to make it that far.

Greg Matthews agreed with the assessment of his batting but ventured the opinion that his slip fielding should be taken into account at the moment.

Both rated him as little more than a "FTB."

No doubt TEC will immediately add them both to his Christmas card list.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
aussie said:
well you and neil are old timers and would have seen him, plus i trust your judgement on the game so i'll agree with you two. :)
Geez Neil, 19 year old now an old timer? You're doing alright for yourself there ;)

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Odds of a draw coming in dramatically from yesterday, I'd so love it if this game was rained off, all those gormless new threads, all those Aussies crying into their 'beer'... marvellous.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Odds of a draw coming in dramatically from yesterday, I'd so love it if this game was rained off, all those gormless new threads, all those Aussies crying into their 'beer'... marvellous.
You realise all the new threads are by one guy, right?

Scaly piscine

FaaipDeOiad said:
You realise all the new threads are by one guy, right?
Like the one about almighty Flintoff? There'd be a few newbies join just to slag off England because Australia hadn't won.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scaly piscine said:
Still raining in Bristol - just a murky drizzle now but that means at least 5 more hours of wet weather heading London's way.

Dreadful forecast tomorrow too.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Like the one about almighty Flintoff? There'd be a few newbies join just to slag off England because Australia hadn't won.
The one about the mighty Flintoff isn't even by an Australian?

Craig

World Traveller
I guess the rain will save England from a defeat that IMO will have to be blamed to poor batting (how Strauss or Trescothick weren't out LBW each to Shane Warne in the 2nd innings I have no idea) from the top order, the no balls, and the dreadfull catching.

To be perfectly honest I think the one player in the England team that can walk away saying he has had a good performance and not a lot of luck is Simon Jones. Certainly one of the best spells of bowling I have seen from him.

Craig

World Traveller
But how long will it take for the ground to be ready for play?

I must admit I do like watching the Channel 4 feed as it at least offers some variety and different opinions over the Sky Sports crew. Other then that it is pretty much the same IMO.