• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Athletics Thread

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really? He always seems really optimistic, but he gives credit where it's due to all the other competitors, and especially those who beat us, which I couldn't say about others who make it sound like they only got up because we were below our best.

Also, the rowing commentators must be given a terrible broadcasting position, because they seem so hamstrung by the vision on TV rather than providing us with their own view, even as it comes towards the line.
I would imagine the GB comms get the best positions at every venue and then it is pot luck where you are shoved if you are a foreign team. May be harsh but probably the same every olympics.

benchmark00

Unless you're on the line it's basically impossible to accurately see who finished where when they cross the finish.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Ennis has been awesome.

But if you had all the pressure of a nation on you like Jess does, something like the heptathlon would be better than a one-off event, because you know that even if something goes slightly wrong, you can make it up elsewhere. The stress can be alleviated somewhat. However, if it comes down to a tight one in the last leg of it, then there'd be more pressure than an English football player taking a penalty against the Germans...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Big eff up from the jug-earred Taff, there. Fourth in his semi with only the first two throughh as of right. Needs to hope no-one runs quicker in the next two.

I'll resist from pointing out what a misnomer it is to have three semi-finals too.

benchmark00

Big eff up from the jug-earred Taff, there. Fourth in his semi with only the first two throughh as of right. Needs to hope no-one runs quicker in the next two.

I'll resist from pointing out what a misnomer it is to have three semi-finals too.
Isn't one of the definitions of semi just meaning a part of, not necessarily two?

benchmark00

Well, yeah. But using that defintion one could call any round a semi-final.
Gotta order them somehow though. And given it's a semi final, it stands to reason that it should be later on in the order and not the first round like a heat.

benchmark00

The 400 hurdles must be the most taxing track event, dead set. I'd get to 300m and just start pushing the ****s over.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's with the commentators calling him "Dai" when his name is "David"? Can't they read or suffthin?