• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Asia Cup 2018 in UAE

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
You say first gen as tho being born here isn't good enough. And most of those born overseason grew up here - Aizaz Khan for instance, learnt how to play cricket while in school in HK, and has represented HK through every age group.

I wonder if you're this skeptical about players like Kevin Pietersen, Fawad Ahmed, Grant Elliot, Eoin Morgan, Sam Robson, Brendan Nash, Andrew Strauss, Neil Wagner, etc, etc, or if you just wait to spout these tired bull**** cliches anytime you see an Associate nation play.
First there is no need to get defensive and make assumptions about my opinions on this issue when you evidently have no clue. Secondly, quite a few of those players on that list played for other countries not because they were 'proud' of it but because they couldn't make it where they first wanted to which is true so i don't know what you're trying to prove here. You are never going to be able to develop the game much at any of the associate nations unless the native population takes an interest in it and bothers learning and playing the game. It's not a cliche when cricket itself is a pretty difficult sport for any new country to master.

cnerd123

likes this
First there is no need to get defensive and make assumptions about my opinions on this issue when you evidently have no clue. Secondly, quite a few of those players on that list played for other countries not because they were 'proud' of it but because they couldn't make it where they first wanted to which is true so i don't know what you're trying to prove here. You are never going to be able to develop the game much at any of the associate nations unless the native population takes an interest in it and bothers learning and playing the game. It's not a cliche when cricket itself is a pretty difficult sport for any new country to master.
Oh, so you think there is no effort being made to develop cricket within the Chinese population HK? Good to know you're talking out of your ass then - given you're unaware of
> the the several Chinese-only teams in our domestic leagues,
> the fact that Hong Kong Dragons (a team made of the best ethnically Chinese players in the country, that receives coaching and resources directly from CHK) just this week took part in the East Asia Cup against Japan, Korea and China,
> that our national Women's squad is 50% Chinese
> that CHK has extensive grass-roots programmes that involves local Cantonese-medium schools and free community events
> and that even our social media platforms are done bilingually (expats can't read Chinese).

Do continue to make your assumptions about our cricket based on the names on a teamsheet tho. I expect you to be up in arms next time England picks a player who learnt their cricket in South Africa, or who is not ethnically white, and lament about how they're not doing enough to get their native population interested.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
In terms of relative performances in the thread during the game, slippy definitely was the Hong Kong to *****’s Pakistan.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
Oh, so you think there is no effort being made to develop cricket within the Chinese population HK? Good to know you're talking out of your ass then - given you're unaware of
> the the several Chinese-only teams in our domestic leagues,
> the fact that Hong Kong Dragons (a team made of the best ethnically Chinese players in the country, that receives coaching and resources directly from CHK) just this week took part in the East Asia Cup against Japan, Korea and China,
> that our national Women's squad is 50% Chinese
> that CHK has extensive grass-roots programmes that involves local Cantonese-medium schools and free community events
> and that even our social media platforms are done bilingually (expats can't read Chinese).

Do continue to make your assumptions about our cricket based on the names on a teamsheet tho. I expect you to be up in arms next time England picks a player who learnt their cricket in South Africa, or who is not ethnically white, and lament about how they're not doing enough to get their native population interested.
Sure err.. some weird cricketing sjw. I'll wait and see how good this grass roots system you're talking about is, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating anyway. Time will tell won't it? And again you must be dense to still continue making assumptions about what my opinions on these cricketers who represent other countries are when you have no clue what i really think. You're too triggered to comprehend anyway even when i mentioned it in passing that your point gets somewhat disproved when those players are not playing for their first choice teams anyway, which is exactly what it is with HK too.

cnerd123

likes this
Sure err.. some weird cricketing sjw. I'll wait and see how good this grass roots system you're talking about is, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating anyway. Time will tell won't it? And again you must be dense to still continue making assumptions about what my opinions on these cricketers who represent other countries are when you have no clue what i really think. You're too triggered to comprehend anyway even when i mentioned it in passing that your point gets somewhat disproved when those players are not playing for their first choice teams anyway, which is exactly what it is with HK too.
Mate, I basically live on these forums. You pop out of whatever hole you hide in to take cheap shots at an Associate nation because you think the names on a teamsheet don't sound ethnically correct for the nation they are representing, but don't say a damn thing when Moeen Ali, Adil Rashid, Ish Sodhi, Usman Khawaja, Devendra Bishoo, etc. etc. turn out for their Full-Member teams. You assume the HK cricketers are expats, but where are you when Keaton Jennings, Fawad Ahmed, Grant Elliot, Neil Wagner, etc etc turn out for their own Full Member countries? And then you assume that the HK cricketers don't identify as Hong Kongers first and foremost, and only play for this nation as a consolidation prize. Again - where were you for Keaton Jennings, Sam Robson, Brendon Nash Kevin Pietersen, Neil Wagner, Grant Elliot, Eoin Morgan, etc etc.

All this bull**** only ever comes out when an Associate nation comes into the spotlight, because it's easy to bully an Associate nation for their selection policies when there is no one out to defend then. Your double standards are as clear as day.

And that's not all. It's easy to rehash tired cliches about 'not developing the game amongst local populations' and act all smug when the truth is you're simply ignorant to all the hard work the understaffed, underfunded cricket associations put into doing exactly that. I mean FFS, you can't put in any more effort to learn about the cricket in Hong Kong outside of a cursory Google search into where it's squad members are born, and yet you feel you know enough to assume we aren't doing enough? FFS, take a hike. Utterly dire posting is what it is.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mate, I basically live on these forums. You pop out of whatever hole you hide in to take cheap shots at an Associate nation because you think the names on a teamsheet don't sound ethnically correct for the nation they are representing, but don't say a damn thing when Moeen Ali, Adil Rashid, Ish Sodhi, Usman Khawaja, Devendra Bishoo, etc. etc. turn out for their Full-Member teams. You assume the HK cricketers are expats, but where are you when Keaton Jennings, Fawad Ahmed, Grant Elliot, Neil Wagner, etc etc turn out for their own Full Member countries? And then you assume that the HK cricketers don't identify as Hong Kongers first and foremost, and only play for this nation as a consolidation* prize. Again - where were you for Keaton Jennings, Sam Robson, Brendon Nash Kevin Pietersen, Neil Wagner, Grant Elliot, Eoin Morgan, etc etc.

All this bull**** only ever comes out when an Associate nation comes into the spotlight, because it's easy to bully an Associate nation for their selection policies when there is no one out to defend then. Your double standards are as clear as day.

And that's not all. It's easy to rehash tired cliches about 'not developing the game amongst local populations' and act all smug when the truth is you're simply ignorant to all the hard work the understaffed, underfunded cricket associations put into doing exactly that. I mean FFS, you can't put in any more effort to learn about the cricket in Hong Kong outside of a cursory Google search into where it's squad members are born, and yet you feel you know enough to assume we aren't doing enough? FFS, take a hike. Utterly dire posting is what it is.
*consolation

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Babar and Fahkar missing out on not outs in the chase and further saturating their averages I see :ph34r:

Imam-Ul-Huq didn't let me down; though he has ruined his perfect conversion ratio which is slightly disappointing.

Mad that Pakistan have three batsmen currently averaging above 50 in ODIs; two of them above 70, albeit that they've only scored 3,500 runs between them. Especially funny considering that you wouldn't consider any of them to be up there as the best batsmen in the world. Will be interesting to see how these performances continue as they face tougher opposition.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Mate, I basically live on these forums. You pop out of whatever hole you hide in to take cheap shots at an Associate nation because you think the names on a teamsheet don't sound ethnically correct for the nation they are representing, but don't say a damn thing when Moeen Ali, Adil Rashid, Ish Sodhi, Usman Khawaja, Devendra Bishoo, etc. etc. turn out for their Full-Member teams. You assume the HK cricketers are expats, but where are you when Keaton Jennings, Fawad Ahmed, Grant Elliot, Neil Wagner, etc etc turn out for their own Full Member countries? And then you assume that the HK cricketers don't identify as Hong Kongers first and foremost, and only play for this nation as a consolidation prize. Again - where were you for Keaton Jennings, Sam Robson, Brendon Nash Kevin Pietersen, Neil Wagner, Grant Elliot, Eoin Morgan, etc etc.

Bishoo was born and raised in Guyana. Try again next time champ.

cnerd123

likes this
Bishoo was born and raised in Guyana. Try again next time champ.
That's literally my point. Just because he has an Indian sounding name doesn't mean he's an expat who only turns out for West Indies because he isn't good enough for India.

Anshuman Rath is born and raised in Hong Kong. It's the same deal. It's lazy and wrong to assume someone's identity based on their name and ethnic heritage, but that's exactly what artvandalay was doing

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
That's literally my point. Just because he has an Indian sounding name doesn't mean he's an expat who only turns out for West Indies because he isn't good enough for India.

Anshuman Rath is born and raised in Hong Kong. It's the same deal. It's lazy and wrong to assume someone's identity based on their name and ethnic heritage, but that's exactly what artvandalay was doing
Isn't really directly comparible, there has been a sizeable Indo-Caribbean population in the West Indies for at least 180 years. I actually kinda agree with your point tbh, just saying Bishoo is a bad example.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Babar and Fahkar missing out on not outs in the chase and further saturating their averages I see :ph34r:

Imam-Ul-Huq didn't let me down; though he has ruined his perfect conversion ratio which is slightly disappointing.

Mad that Pakistan have three batsmen currently averaging above 50 in ODIs; two of them above 70, albeit that they've only scored 3,500 runs between them. Especially funny considering that you wouldn't consider any of them to be up there as the best batsmen in the world. Will be interesting to see how these performances continue as they face tougher opposition.
They have 4 averaging above 50 including Asif Ali and the two guys with 70+ average.

To add to that, except Amir, everyone averages sub 25 with a couples of guys in 10s. Really astonishing stats in this Pak team. Cannot find a single team with a better batting-bowling average in cricket history.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hong Kong and co. in the Asia Cup now?

Can't we just fast forward to the India/Pak final already? Or just play an ODI series between the 2 instead?

Should call it the "Minnow Bashing Cup"

Borges

International Regular
One group - Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka - is pretty competitive. The other isn't.

It would appear that the two Asian big brothers have appropriated all the goodies for themselves.Not only have they rigged the draw to guarantee their passage into the next round, they have also conned the ICC to let their players pad their ODI stats by playing against King Kong.