• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Asia Cup 2018 in UAE

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hong Kong and co. in the Asia Cup now?
It's because Afghanistan have Test status now. It's comprised of all the teams in Asia who have Test status, plus one more from a qualifying tournament of all the minnows.

Funnily enough Afghanistan didn't even win the qualifying tournament in 2016, so they weren't in it -- UAE were.

Can't we just fast forward to the India/Pak final already?
Haha this is the 14th Asia Cup, and weirdly enough there has never been an India v Pakistan final. Sri Lanka has been in the final 11 times, with other two finals being Pakistan v Bangladesh and India v Bangladesh.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's because Afghanistan have Test status now. It's comprised of all the teams in Asia who have Test status, plus one more from a qualifying tournament of all the minnows.

Funnily enough Afghanistan didn't even win the qualifying tournament in 2016, so they weren't in it -- UAE were.

Haha this is the 14th Asia Cup, and weirdly enough there has never been an India v Pakistan final. Sri Lanka has been in the final 11 times, with other two finals being Pakistan v Bangladesh and India v Bangladesh.
Sri Lanka used to be good though

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha tbf there have been lots of Asia Cups people expected to be India v Pakistan finals that haven't panned out that way. Bangladesh were in two of the last three finals ffs, no-one ever expects that.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
Mate, I basically live on these forums. You pop out of whatever hole you hide in to take cheap shots at an Associate nation because you think the names on a teamsheet don't sound ethnically correct for the nation they are representing, but don't say a damn thing when Moeen Ali, Adil Rashid, Ish Sodhi, Usman Khawaja, Devendra Bishoo, etc. etc. turn out for their Full-Member teams. You assume the HK cricketers are expats, but where are you when Keaton Jennings, Fawad Ahmed, Grant Elliot, Neil Wagner, etc etc turn out for their own Full Member countries? And then you assume that the HK cricketers don't identify as Hong Kongers first and foremost, and only play for this nation as a consolidation prize. Again - where were you for Keaton Jennings, Sam Robson, Brendon Nash Kevin Pietersen, Neil Wagner, Grant Elliot, Eoin Morgan, etc etc.

All this bull**** only ever comes out when an Associate nation comes into the spotlight, because it's easy to bully an Associate nation for their selection policies when there is no one out to defend then. Your double standards are as clear as day.

And that's not all. It's easy to rehash tired cliches about 'not developing the game amongst local populations' and act all smug when the truth is you're simply ignorant to all the hard work the understaffed, underfunded cricket associations put into doing exactly that. I mean FFS, you can't put in any more effort to learn about the cricket in Hong Kong outside of a cursory Google search into where it's squad members are born, and yet you feel you know enough to assume we aren't doing enough? FFS, take a hike. Utterly dire posting is what it is.
You're a no-lifer enough to go and dredge up my entire posting history to find the instances when i might have -correctly imo- have pointed out that these teams are a hodge podge of expats and cricketing rejects from the subcontinent and other commonwealth countries who play the game but it will not be more than 1 other instance at most and i am certainly not going to bother justifying myself for it. Also that is stupid case of whataboutery there even ignoring the inaccuracies in it. Duh you didn't say anything then so that perceived absence of evidence means you obviously support it and only have it in for associates. For one, yes you still don't know what i really think on that issue. For another, the South african thing has become such a meme that it doesn't even need to be reiterated anymore and i'm not going to go into thread after thread and keep saying it just to satisfy you. Lastly, you're not even taking into account that these are all countries with a well developed infrastructure for cricket and are well established in the game who therefore don't need 'imports' to fill their ranks, it helps them sure but their ability to field an international class XI isn't dependent on Kolpak deals and racial quotas. The situation is still the same, players treating countries like franchises isn't really ideal. I don't know why you are trying to justify it.

And yes the countries you pointed out rightly get panned when they don't have any native players who play for them instead just include and fill their ranks with 'imports' when the game has no interest among the locals anyway. It's why for instance Ireland, Nepal, Afghanistan and even Kenya are/were more seriously regarded than USA, Canada, any GCCE country and HK and show more promise than them although again time will tell as always and it is in no way some 'tired, rehashed cliche'. I obviously am not going to do a doctoral thesis on HK cricket before commenting on it, sorry if that offends you. You have a stake in it and i don't so am really not going to put in the 'effort', i'll watch them play when they enter international competitions and that is plenty good enough for me. I'm sorry if that triggers you and doesn't sit well with you just because it doesn't dovetail with your idea of political correctness or whatever this is. You sound like an indignant feminazi with an axe to grind tbh and ironically keep accusing others of 'dire posting' just because you can't agree with them. Projection much?

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Lastly, you're not even taking into account that these are all countries with a well developed infrastructure for cricket and are well established in the game who therefore don't need 'imports' to fill their ranks
And yet we have cases like Mark Chapman, Brendan Nash, Sam Robson, Keaton Jennings, Fawad Ahmed, Jofra Archer, Chris Jordan, Boyd Rankin, Eoin Morgan, Ed Joyce, Grant Elliot, Neil Wagner, Kevin Pietersen....I assume you've got beef with every single Test playing nation outside of the Subcontinental ones because they're all relying on 'imports', right?

when they don't have any native players who play for them
Incredibly racist to assume that just because they aren't Chinese they aren't native to Hong Kong. I assume you believe that Adil Rashid and Moeen Ali aren't English, Ish Sodhi isn't Kiwi, Usman Khawaja is not Australian, etc etc? What's your take on Bishoo, he is 'native' enough to be Guyanese for you?

You basically typed a lot of words there to just admit that you don't know what you're talking about. I suggest you stop digging this hole further.

Borges

International Regular
I must admit that this debate is way more interesting than the cricket which has been played so far.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Probable SL XI

Kusal Mendis
Tharanga
Dananjaya de Silva
Kusal Perera (wk)
Angelo Mathews
Niroshan Dickwella (wk)/Shehan Jaysuriya
Dasun Shanaka
Thisara Perera
Akila Dananjaya
Lasith Malinga
Suranga Lakmal.

should play the xtra batsman in Dickwella. Akila Dananjaya will add the much needed spin flavour required. Dhananjaya can bowl his off breaks.
All in all 4 genuine bowling options, and two part time bowling options in Shanaka and Thisara.

One can make a case for Shehan Jayasuriya too, who is also a left handed batsman.

We need a mix of left handedness cos of Rashid Khan.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
There's no way there will be an India-Pakistan final. This Asia Cup not surprisingly has been structured to have a 3 match bilateral series between India and Pakistan and people have been talking about it for a while now. In such scenarios, the final never plays out the way it was expected. The Champions Trophy final between India and Pakistan was the one no one expected.

Either Pakistan or India is going to lose to Bangladesh in the second round and go home.