• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Argentina vs Germany (Quarter-Final Three)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The players seemed really unselfish...I thought for sure a couple players would have taken their shots but instead they passed to teammates in slightly better positions.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
A serious question, when comparing players, do football fans count the goals against North Korea and other countries with bad teams?
Yes & no, tbh. They're counted the same, but judgement is generally reserved.

Take Peter Crouch; he has a very decent scoring record for England (21 in 40), but they've mostly come against average teams. He's seen as an FTB as a striker.

EDIT: Beaten to it. :p

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not Test standard eh?

A serious question, when comparing players, do football fans count the goals against North Korea and other countries with bad teams?
There's not much cross-country comparison, because you get some players in teams who play a lot of sub-standard internationals, and play many, many games. I don't think Ali Daei is considered a great by many. the Guys from the big nations in that list are though.

So it's just who is most scorer for your nation really that matters. Bobby Charlton is ours, and it's still looking strong ATM, despite everything.

Yet, in general we think a goals a goal. not many stat-mongerers in football thankfully:)

Edit: Even though, clearly Crouch an exception.....

Last edited:

Pothas

Well, that wasn't a surprise.

Messi is still some way off Maradona, Pele and even Zidane in the greatness stakes, maybe that was Maradona's plan all along. Should have taken a leaf or two out of Tevez's book today.

And yeah, even England look much better in retrospect.
This is such a crap point, it is fairly obvioust that for all Maradona's failings he is desperate for Messi and his team to do well.

Anyway Argentina's defence was awful and the Germans were great, still fancy Spain (If they get past Paraguay of course) to get past them though, will be a great match though

grecian

This is such a crap point, it is fairly obvioust that for all Maradona's failings he is desperate for Messi and his team to do well.

Anyway Argentina's defence was awful and the Germans were great, still fancy Spain (If they get past Paraguay of course) to get past them though, will be a great match though
Yeah, Maradona wanted them to do well, but he made Kevin Keegan look a tactical genius, little shape, little plan, just not an International coach, which it doesn't pain me to say:)

L Trumper

State Regular
Muller missing semis is absolute bull ****. Thats not an yellow card for gods sake. An exciting young player missing biggest match of his career because he got booked twice in 5 games, both of'em being ridiculously soft.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Yeah, that was a low blow, sorry. Can't question the man's passion, I've even seen him attend Argentina's Davis Cup ties. But he's clueless tactically and passion doesn't win you matches against opposition like Germany.

L Trumper

State Regular
Give maradona a rest guys; Even capello got owned by german tactics. Germans are preparing based on their opponent rather playing a particular style. Besides germany's first goal is not maradona's fault, defenders are just piss poor in set pieces at the start of the match.
He is a bad coach, but not as bad as people want to portray him.

Quaggas

State Captain
The big moment was obviously 1-0 after 3 min, when that ball boy, whatshisface, scored - which allowed Germany to play with less pressure. On the other hand, I must say Schweinsteiger did looked awfully nervous throughout.

I think I'll just have to take the money I owe the IRS and use it buy some coke to drown my sorrows. :wacko:

Teja.

Global Moderator
The big moment was obviously 1-0 after 3 min, when that ball boy, whatshisface, scored - which allowed Germany to play with less pressure. On the other hand, I must say Schweinsteiger did looked awfully nervous throughout.

I think I'll just have to take the money I owe the IRS and use it buy some coke to drown my sorrows. :wacko:
'Ball boy whatshisface' also happens to be the joint highest scorer in the tournament with three of his four goals coming against England and Argentina FYI.

Quaggas

State Captain
'Ball boy whatshisface' also happens to be the joint highest scorer in the tournament with three of his four goals coming against England and Argentina FYI.
Sarcasm directed at Maradonna for his remarks and actions. But, ok, I'll give it a rest now.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Probably true, but did you see Maradona & Messi after the Germany game? The manager trying to give his star player a hug, and Messi absolutely not buying into it at all.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Full marks to the hundred or so England fans in the crowd who at the end of the match taunted the Argie fans with chants of "We only lost 4-1".

Matteh

That'll be the same Schweinsteiger who looked composed and went on a mazy run resulting in a goal?