• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Airtel Twenty20 Champions League 2009

Flem274*

123/5
So you should be. No offence, but what relevance does his List A record have when he played in the Twenty20 competition last year? It's a very, very odd use of statistics.
I just have a habit of merging the limited overs stats. Started back in the days when you played two and a half 20/20s per year and it had such a short history.

Now with the IPL and domestic tournaments I should probably lose that habit.:ph34r:

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Otago will be playing a warm-up match today.. and I am going to the ground to watch it tonight

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Crikey, I just looked at the schedule to see who was playing who, it looks completely mental. Four groups of three from which eight teams go through! And then two more groups of four.

I think I might rest myself from cricket for a couple of weeks, I don't think I can face it!

Raghav

The Volts did pretty well against Deccan, even without 5 of their 1st XI.
McSkimmo must have bowled very well to only concede 18 runs and de Boorder's 49* won't do his selection chances any harm.

Otago Cricket - Encouraging Start for Otago Volts
I really enjoyed the game.

Rutherford's innings was entertaining. Mascarenhas was throwing his bat at everything. I got the autograph of Craig Cumming

It was a nice day..

shivfan

Banned
I'm a Trini so I thought I'd get the ball rolling by running the rule over the Trinidad & Tobago squad.

The Squad (Players with international experience in bold):

Darren Ganga (C), Dwayne Bravo (VC), Samuel Badree, Adrian Barath, Darren Bravo, Reyad Emrit, Sherwin Ganga, Dave Mohammed, Sunil Narine, William Perkins, Kieron Pollard, Denesh Ramdin, Ravi Rampaul, Lendl Simmons, Navin Stewart

Fixtures

Monday October 12th - Somerset, Bangalore
Wednesday October 14th - Deccan Chargers, Hyderabad

Strengths

- A strong batting lineup packed with talent and hitters down the order. If things go wrong there is Darren Ganga and Adrian Barath to bat properly so we have all bases covered.

- Spin bowling. Dave Mohammed has a sensational 20-20 record and Samuel Badree is very difficult to get away. Sunil Narine is also a promising off spinner.

- They are the only team in the competition who are playing as a country. This is not just a job or an opportunity for them, they are representing their nation which will mean a huge amount to them. Therefore the team spirit as always will be excellent.

Weaknesses

- Pace bowling. Ravi Rampaul is an international standard seam bowler who is good at the death but there is nobody else of a high standard to support him.

Players to watch

- The Bravo brothers. Dwayne is the best 20-20 all rounder in the World with IPL experience and Darren is an incredibly talented young left handed batsman who has been scoring runs for fun in the trials and warm up matches.
This Trinidad team looks stronger than Reifer's men who represented the West Indies at the CT....
:laugh:
For that reason, I'm more interested in the performance of T&T in the Champions League than I was in the WI in the CT.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I have to decide who I am going to root for. If McGrath plays, then it's obvious, but if he doesn't then Daredevils will be my most hated team. I think I'll go for one of the English teams in that case.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I have to decide who I am going to root for. If McGrath plays, then it's obvious, but if he doesn't then Daredevils will be my most hated team. I think I'll go for one of the English teams in that case.
I think Somerset look like a good team to go for. They're underdogs but they've got Langer and Trescothick (if he gets there okay) which is great if they both fire. Also, someone like Peter Trego could have a really good tournament.

Beamer

This Trinidad team looks stronger than Reifer's men who represented the West Indies at the CT....
:laugh:
For that reason, I'm more interested in the performance of T&T in the Champions League than I was in the WI in the CT.
Absolutely, I would back that team to thrash Reifers men every time. The only advantage over T & T the scabs would have is the pace bowling of Roach and Tonge, but they are inferior in every other aspect.

Incidentally, T & T played their first warm up match today against Karnataka and won by 110 runs.

T & T batted first and made 199/5 (Dwayne Bravo 60 not out, Darren Bravo 53, Kieron Pollard 23, Darren Ganga 23)

Karnataka then made 89/6 from their 20 Overs. Ravi Rampaul and Samuel Badree both took 3 wickets.

pup11

International Coach
I will be rooting for NSW, because blokes like Hughes, Warner, S.Smith, and Binga are gonna be playing for them, and Katman would be leading them, so go Blues!!

Anna

I think Somerset look like a good team to go for. They're underdogs but they've got Langer and Trescothick (if he gets there okay) which is great if they both fire. Also, someone like Peter Trego could have a really good tournament.
And not forgetting Kieswetter.

Only 4 months 'til he qualifies :D

James

Cricket Web Owner
A fantastic preview written by Martyn for those interested in learning more about the tournament :)

Another Twenty20 Tournament - The Champions League
Over the next fifteen days, twelve of the world's top domestic cricket teams will battle out for the inaugural 'Champions League' title. Cricket Web takes a look at the tournament and the teams involved.

by Martyn Corrin

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I will be supporting Deccan Chargers as they have three players I like - Adam Gilchrist, Rohit Sharma and RP Singh.

EDIT - And Laxman.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Northern Districts in NZ is my fav domestic team. But in their absence for this tournament I will be following Otago. Cricinfo has them at long odds to win it though - and they are probably right.

Lets hope the attacking Brendon McCullum plays instead of the defensive one.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A fantastic preview written by Martyn for those interested in learning more about the tournament :)

Another Twenty20 Tournament - The Champions League
Over the next fifteen days, twelve of the world's top domestic cricket teams will battle out for the inaugural 'Champions League' title. Cricket Web takes a look at the tournament and the teams involved.

by Martyn Corrin
I thought there was a lot of rambling in the piece and less of insight. I think this is a much better piece to know the teams a bit better (from Cricinfo).