• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 4th Test @ The Oval, London - 2nd-6th September

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
I'm such a massive Moeen fan. He's been mucked about over the years and this has messed with his head I believe but give him a supportive coach, a clear run batting at 7/8 and the sense of belief that goes with it and he'd be the second name on my teamsheet.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
1.Hammed
2.Booooourns
3.Maleen
4.Brian Root Tendulkar Smith
5.Pope/dj lawrence
6.Angry, young, energetic jb
7.Woakes
8.Overton
9.Robinson
10.Wood
11.Leach

Would be my 11, don't think you need moeen if woakes is fit, as much as I like him as a player.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Isn't the Oval usually the last test? Any particular reason it's not this time?

Howe_zat

Audio File
The last Test of the summer is usually around now and not September, when Surrey have their last two CC games at the Oval. I'd think the county fixtures are usually settled after the Test ones, but if Surrey have a say in that, maybe they wanted to finish at home.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The last Test of the summer is usually around now and not September, when Surrey have their last two CC games at the Oval. I'd think the county fixtures are usually settled after the Test ones, but if Surrey have a say in that, maybe they wanted to finish at home.
I think they were later than usual with the Test fixtures this year as well because they needed to run with all of the 2020 venues (presumably) so tickets from last year could be honoured.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
In 2019 the Ashes Test at the Oval started September 12th and the weather was really good. The Old Trafford Test at the beginning of September that year the weather was arctic. I think Archer wore three sweaters, and still didn't break into a sweat with his bowling.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe that's the reason. The only other occasions I can find when we didn't play the final match of the summer there are 2012 vs SA, when the first test of the series was played at The Oval and 1982 vs Pakistan when none of the three matches were at The Oval. Plus SL's one-off tests in 1984 and 1988, which were played at Lord's after the final tests against WI had been played at The Oval.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Looking at the original pre-pandemic schedule for 2020 the first Test of the summer was going to be the only one played at The Oval.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Apart from any other considerations, Overton's ability to field in the slips is a decent-sized plus at the moment. I suppose that Malan will be at 2nd slip instead of Bairstow.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Seems they may rest one of Anderson or Robinson... Most likely Anderson. Which, I guess, means Wood can come in for Anderson.

Burns
Hameed
Malan
Root
Bairstow (wk)
Pope
Moeen
Woakes
Overton
Robinson
Wood

Uppercut

Oh yeah for sure. I wouldn't even pick him ahead of Overton. He would 100% be playing if he was fit though.
He is fit. He'll probably play.

I've just realised he completely got away with bowling absolute trash to Bumrah and Shami and costing England the game at Lord's because blaming Anderson made for a better narrative.

Jack1

International Debutant
I think, on balance, Leach is a marginally better bowler than Mo, but he's no Ravi Ashwin and India are overlooking his charms just now.

Pope for Jos and, if he pulls up ok in the build up (as I'm assuming his presence in the squad means he's not playing for the Bears), Woakes for SCurran are the only changes I think we'll see.
Nothing to think about. Of course Leach is a better bowler. Moeen Ali is an ok bowler at this level, but he’s an all-rounder. Leach is a front-line out and out spinner with a good record.
Yes, India need to pick Ashwin I feel

Seems they may rest one of Anderson or Robinson... Most likely Anderson. Which, I guess, means Wood can come in for Anderson.

Burns
Hameed
Malan
Root
Bairstow (wk)
Pope
Moeen
Woakes
Overton
Robinson
Wood
Yes this seems likely from the squad , but Bairstow should move to 6. Should doesn’t seem will though. Suppose Lawrence for Pope is an alternative from the squad. You’d expect Woakes and Robinson to take the new ball. If Anderson plays then Woakes over Wood.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Burns
Hameed
Malan
Root
Bairstow (wk)
Pope
Moeen
Woakes
Overton
Robinson
Wood
If you're right, I'd take that side. As you suggest, it seems counter-intuitive to rest the 27 year old instead of the 39 your old.

Flem274*

123/5
leach is a lot better than moeen with the ball and woakes is not a #7. im going to ride the 'wood is thoroughly mediocre' train to the end station too.

not sure england are in the position to rest anderson either. come on you really don't want to risk losing home series to india, that **** is embarassing. real countries just don't do that.

burns
hameed
malan
root (c)
umm
bairstow (wk)
curran
woakes
robinson
leach
anderson

Uppercut

Resting Anderson would be a huge call. I don't think they'll do it unless he's basically injured.