• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 4th Test @ The Oval, London - 2nd-6th September

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm fairly sure at the start of the series they wouldn't have had Sir Jimmy playing in all five Tests so close together, but if he's fit and with all the other injuries around I'm wondering if he might just carry on.

I don't see any other likely changes barring injury.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Woakes for Curran, if fit? Anyone for Curran really.
He (Woakes) looked a little short of a gallop in the Bears/Spitfires Blast QF. Topped out at 83mph and appeared as if he hadn't quite found his rhythm yet.

I see Warwickshire are at Lancashire tomorrow (in an actual first class game!), be interesting to see if Woakes is in the XI.

Think it's a test too early for him, myself.

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Buttler may miss out apparently as fatherhood beckons. Dobell speculated he may have played his last test I see.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I guess Bairstow will keep and Pope comes in. Woakes for Curran the only other change? Will they look at playing Leach if Oval pitch is normal and not tampered with?

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think we'll make any changes that aren't enforced after such a big win.
Not really how it should work. If a player is offering nothing in any discipline, why does the result matter? India usually the only team he performs against, and he's not. Get rid.

Jack1

International Debutant
Bairstow is averaging 27.41 without being keeping and top 5 an equal struggle. England can't keeping picking Buttler and Bairstow in the same team unless they are batting 6 and 7. England have set a precedence picking Malan basically on white ball form. As a result I believe Livingstone should play over Pope if one batter enters the side for Buttler. It's probably time to let Buttler drop out for now considering his comments and the child being born soon. I hope Anderson, Robinson and Overton can all play again. Which leaves the question, should it be 4 or 5 man attack. Depending on the pitch Woakes/Wood or Leach (Parkinson) can create a 4 man attack giving room to play Pope too at 6 dropping Curran who is struggling massively. The 4 seam attack plus Livingstone as the 5th bowler might be the best option after some thought. Leach/Parkinson is an option though. Depends on the pitch. I'm not convinced it can be justified to keep picking either Ali or Curran, England played mostly with a 3 man attack in the last game and Ali and Curran aren't making many runs. Gets more complicated if Anderson or Robinson needs a rest - Think if Anderson needs rested then Woakes can open the bowling with Robinson and the 4 man attack gets completely by Leach/Wood then pitch dependant.

1. Burns
2. Hameed
3. Malan
4. Root
5. Livingstone
6. Pope
7. Bairstow (wk)
8. Woakes
9. Overton
10. Robinson
11. Anderson

Not really how it should work. If a player is offering nothing in any discipline, why does the result matter? India usually the only team he performs against, and he's not. Get rid.
Yes pick the best team for the next game with all the variables in mind. It's a squad game, you should never be scared to change a winning team

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
Generally I like a front-line spinner. But Livingstone is better than a part-timer and Ali isn't really offering much with bat or ball. With the fact in mind that England mostly just used 3 seamers in the 3rd test, I think 4 seamers plus Livingstone is very valid option. Did mention though it depends on the pitch - and that Leach (Parkinson ) is an option, you guys might have just looked at the team though