• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 4th Test at the MCG

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This was obvious as far back as 2009 tbf.

Anderson is also 100% correct about the pitch. God I hate that thing.
If more than two generations of a nation’s players don’t like you at a personal level, it’s safe to say you’re a ****

Spark

Global Moderator
I dunno about whethe it’s the deck so much. Adelaide’s been a drop-in for a couple of years and they seem to have gotten the balance right. MCG’s been a drop-in for what, 20 years? Would think the lack of useful wind would contribute to making it bleh for bowlers since Adelaide has a useful breeze but the MCG, due to to enclosed stadium sorta swirls instead.
Yeah but the MCG has been a consistently rubbish pitch for quite some time now. It's not me just reacting to today's cricket.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I managed to catch maybe half of the second and third sessions.

Good to see Marsh batting well. Expect him to go on from here.

Watching Warner go from 90 to 100 was a painful experience and I said at the time that he was going to get out on 99, which he basically did. Disappointing he didn't really make England pay for the no ball wicket.

I felt like the forest and third sessions were Australia's but the second was definitely England's. While Australia are in a strong position England certainly aren't out of this yet.

Smith must be so frustrating to bowl to. One ball I saw him thread the ball through the field for a single with barely more than a block shot. It was just so effortless and commanding and made him look in total control. I kind of feel like I'm repeating myself about Smith at this stage but it's just amazing to watch.

Curran had a very dislikeable English grammar school look about him. Someone earlier in the thread said he had a bit of Nel about his bowling and I'd agree with that.

TNT

Banned
Why didnt england pick a bowler who can crank it up to 145km/h, thats what you need on this pitch.

Darwin Award

U19 Cricketer
Average watch for all those 'statistics aren't everything' people - 63.02. Insane.

As it stands- All time Wisden Player Rankings

1.Don Bradman- 961
2.Len Hutton & Steve Smith- 945

With Smith currently unbeaten on 65 as of now he's pretty much now almost a dead cert to now go into outright 2nd place circa 950 ish if he pushes on tomorrow and brings up his century.

Absolutely incredible that he's within 'touching distance' of Bradman at the moment if he keeps on scoring by the truckload.Warner who is currently 6th on the list (801) and who scored his 4th ton in 2017 is a whopping 144 points behind Smith... LOL!

fredfertang

'Why the **** have we picked Mark Wood' - fredfertang, day 1, 2018 Sydney Test.
Hardly ideal I grant you, but given the way the ball didn't seem to be getting up at times that skiddy style of his might have been more effective

Top_Cat

Yeah but the MCG has been a consistently rubbish pitch for quite some time now. It's not me just reacting to today's cricket.
No that’s what I’m getting at - it has been **** for a while. MCG’s got decent curators and it generally has useful bounce, got to be something else contributing to both fast runs and wickets being hard to come by.

Compton

International Debutant
Smith will need to get himself out.

England look like they’ve given up on getting him out at this point.

Gnske

Yeah it wasn't great. Personally the MCG test is always my least favourite, but I was almost happy to be distracted from the ''''''''''''''action'''''''''''''' of the day.

I'd feel a hair raise on my head when Curran bowled a slower ball until a moment later I would once again realise how pointless it all was.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Loving the resignation of the England fans in this thread. Very little to say, and who can blame hem really?
It’s Boxing Day so likely they are full to the brim with turkey and stupefied with all the crap tv that’s on..that or still hungover.. :ph34r:

S.Kennedy

I did watch about two hours of it but fell asleep. It is on too late.

PS

It looked like Warner on a road. I didn't see the wickets fall.

flibbertyjibber

Why didnt england pick a bowler who can crank it up to 145km/h, thats what you need on this pitch.
Not got any, that is why we keep going back to Finn and Wood as when they get it right they are about the only ones who can get up there.

flibbertyjibber

As it stands- All time Wisden Player Rankings

1.Don Bradman- 961
2.Len Hutton & Steve Smith- 945

With Smith currently unbeaten on 65 as of now he's pretty much now almost a dead cert to now go into outright 2nd place circa 950 ish if he pushes on tomorrow and brings up his century.

Absolutely incredible that he's within 'touching distance' of Bradman at the moment if he keeps on scoring by the truckload.Warner who is currently 6th on the list (801) and who scored his 4th ton in 2017 is a whopping 144 points behind Smith... LOL!
Depends how they do the ratings when above 900, each point that high may well be worth 3 or 5 lower down the rankings. Not sure anyone really knows how they get them.

S.Kennedy

England are just playing the same bloody team - injury to one of the Overton bringing in one of the Currans excepted!