• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 3rd Test at the WACA

Craig

World Traveller
Knowing Ch 9 and Cricket Australia, there will be a DVD out soon on this innings. I mean they produced one after the Adelaide Test, so why not now?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Matt79 said:
Yes, I'm sure Viv's 56-ball ton came against unrelentingly brilliant bowling from an all-time great attack. To have an innings like Viv's and Gilchrist's it's kinda obvious that the bowling is going to be average at best. You can go on about how scoring rates have increased in general yada yada yada, the fact is its a 21 year old record and the previously second, now third, fastest hundred was Jack Gregory from the 1920s...

I'd have had a slight regret for another of Viv's records to be surpassed, but Gilchrist would be an extremely worthy successor - I bet Viv enjoyed watching today's knock if he saw it.
BTW, I don't think England's bowling was especially BAD. It was average and they weren't able to find a yorker to save themselves or contain him, but their bowling didn't go to pieces or anything. Their fielding and field placements let them down (never liked the "1st and half" slip positioning and it got shown up today), but I thought Hoggard, Harmison and particularly Paneser bowled pretty well today. Sometimes it doesn't matter when there's a freight train like Gilchrist was today at the other end. Although its clear why Hoggard and even Harmi aren't considered options for the one-day squad.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Craig said:
Knowing Ch 9 and Cricket Australia, there will be a DVD out soon on this innings. I mean they produced one after the Adelaide Test, so why not now?
Difference is - I'd buy a DVD of today.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What a scintilating display of batting from Gilly. Was pissed off because i dind't get to see it live, as i was out, and my jaw nearly hit the ground (only a few inches off it tbh) when i hopped into the car, turned the radio on and heard the score.

Clarke's knock mustn't go unnoticed either, he came in just before lunch, and probably should've been stumped by Aussie Jones, but went on to make them pay, with a fantastic display of batting. TBH i feel sorry for the bowling attacks around the world in the next 2/3 years with Ponting, Hussey & Clarke forming a devastating middle order, and it can only get better once Hodge is included at the expense of Symonds now that Watto has injured himself again.

Wouldn't be at all suprised to see this match finished by tea tomorow.

Matt79

Global Moderator
This was the first "classic" Gilchrist knock I've caught in years - for ages its seems I was forever at work, driving somewhere, or doing something dumb to make me miss what was unfolding... :D

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I was just saying that despite Gilchrist's knock being one of great talent and excitement, it doesn't really feature with Viv's in my books. Gilchrist wasn't really under any sort of pressure, and had a licence to slog, and did so very well, but it wouldn't have made any difference as far as the game goes.

Craig

World Traveller
Matt79 said:
Difference is - I'd buy a DVD of today.
So would I.

I don't care as much of Clarke and Hussey's knocks (as fine as they were), just want to see Gilchrist's knock. The highlights should be on Fox Sports tomorrow or later tonight probably (don't have the guide on me).

The other DVD I have been meaning too buy but haven't is Nathan Astle's double ton against England in 01/02.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid said:
Indeed, due to two factors. 1) Gilchrist is a beast, 2) England can't bowl
reading through this thread, and from reports i've read it comes accross that they didn't actually bowl that badly (at least until the gilchrist onslaught)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
mohammad16 said:
I was and wasnt at the same time, i thought vivs record was more deserving then yousuf without a doubt
Its ridiculous not to want records broken IMO. Lara has a higher best score than Bradman, and good for him. It would be quite boring if there were some unbeatable records.

I hope I'm alive to see 99.94 being broken (though I highly doubt it).

aussie tragic

International Captain
silentstriker said:
It might happen in Melbourne if Hussey keeps batting like he has so far :)

246* would do it....or 146* and 100* might be more likely.....

Last edited:

mohammad16

U19 Captain
silentstriker said:
Its ridiculous not to want records broken IMO. Lara has a higher best score than Bradman, and good for him. It would be quite boring if there were some unbeatable records.

im not saying that they shouldnt be broken, but i think his century was entertaining enough as it is, if he was on 99 with 30 balls faced, then id badly want him to break it

but to break vivs record with 1 ball, id rather have viv keep that record

ofcourse i wouldnt have cried if he did break it

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
So were England crap when bowling Australia out on the first day then?Or were they crap for the whole morning session today?
Well they wasn't great Marc, pretty much got a nice big hand from the Australian batsman.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
reading through this thread, and from reports i've read it comes accross that they didn't actually bowl that badly (at least until the gilchrist onslaught)
Bowled better than they did in the first innings if that is hard to believe.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I was up most of the night with the cold but I don’t think I will be tuning in tonight if I can help it. Just watch the presentation in the morning…