• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test at the Sardar Patel Sports Complex, Ahmedabad, 24 - 28 Feb 2021

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
okay the pitch is what it is but ollie pope has a looooot of work to do against spin
As do all but one of our top 6. Time to start awarding bonus points to Somerset for their wickets instead of penalising them if we want that to change.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
okay the pitch is what it is but ollie pope has a looooot of work to do against spin
Yeah, the rank pitch shouldn't completely obscure the fact that England's batting has been rotten.

Hard to make any real judgements based on what I've seen in my lunch break though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As do all but one of our top 6. Time to start awarding bonus points to Somerset for their wickets instead of penalising them if we want that to change.
I think if you encourage wickets like Mumbai 2016, and Chennai 2nd test here, you will see both better spinners and batters develop. We are getting fast bowlers only after a lot of places in North India realized having just green lawns and bowling sides out with medium pace is not helping Indian cricket in any way. Variety in pitches and conditions in FC should be encouraged and rewarded, not penalized.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Define great cricket then if this is not. Is it great only when bat and ball are doing as well as each other and you have 400 plays 300 and a day 5 finish?
I think Chennai was good cricket. I think low scoring games can be good cricket. I think high scoring (but not too high scoring) games can be good cricket.

This isn’t as good because the luck element is too large vs the skill portion. That’s all.

But hey what’s good or not is subjective so if you think it is, that’s fine and not something to argue about.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought the problem with these pitches was that it gives the team that bats first too big of an advantage? Granted, England very well could win. But if it's not making the toss unduly important, provides good comedy without any risk of injury, then no problem AFAIC, we need atleast one pitch like this every Indian season.

Spark

Global Moderator
I thought the problem with these pitches was that it gives the team that bats first too big of an advantage? Granted, England very well could win. But if it's not making the toss unduly important, provides good comedy without any risk of injury, then no problem AFAIC, we need atleast one pitch like this every Indian season.
there are reasons for a pitch being bad beyond the toss! i personally don't think that's particularly important - though it is a factor - and the main thing that determines whether a pitch is good or not is what SS points out. once it starts becoming a question of sheer luck and you can't reasonably distinguish between skill and chance on the scoreboard, then that's too far for me.

like, i think root batted about as well as it's possible to bat on this pitch. he made 19. i personally think this is pretty borderline but it is slightly difficult to take entirely seriously for that reason, although england have mostly batted like poo.