• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test at Edgbaston

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This line of logic assumes everything else remains the same after Haddin's drop and you know this isn't true. What's to say he wouldn't have been driven on to score a huge second innings ton or played better at Lord's? Impossible to know.
Yeah I know but it's just an illustrative example. Tiny chunks of luck make a huge different to short-term averages.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, honestly this comes back to the fact that there's a lot of variance in cricket, and one small error can make a huge difference. I'm not sure I've ever watched a genuinely chanceless innings of any length. There's a couple that come to my mind as near-flawless, like Ponting's 196 in the Brisbane test in 06/07, but I'm probably forgetting a bunch of plays and misses, or hell maybe he got dropped 3 times for all I know. In reality in takes luck to achieve anything in this game, and if Root was playing like Ballance and Haddin dropped him on 0 he'd just have been bowled 9 balls later or something but instead he made a big score. Talking about what might have happened might be fun for Smith v Root v Williamson v Kohli debates or whatever but if he's lucky Haddin dropped the catch you just as easily say he was unlucky to get something that caught the edge when he was on 0.

Judging performance is just a combination of the numbers produced in the actual game and subjective observation. I think Johnson bowled brilliantly at Lord's but his figures aren't that special, Root played a great knock in Cardiff but could easily have been out on 0, and presumably people have been watching Bairstow bat and have actual informed opinions on how he's going compared to his previous test efforts. From here all we can say (unless someone has been going to the games) is that he's been making runs when other guys haven't.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Judging performance is just a combination of the numbers produced in the actual game and subjective observation. I think Johnson bowled brilliantly at Lord's but his figures aren't that special, Root played a great knock in Cardiff but could easily have been out on 0, and presumably people have been watching Bairstow bat and have actual informed opinions on how he's going compared to his previous test efforts. From here all we can say (unless someone has been going to the games) is that he's been making runs when other guys haven't.
Even if he hasn't improved, he's still a better player than Ballance right now IMO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, honestly this comes back to the fact that there's a lot of variance in cricket, and one small error can make a huge difference. I'm not sure I've ever watched a genuinely chanceless innings of any length. There's a couple that come to my mind as near-flawless, like Ponting's 196 in the Brisbane test in 06/07, but I'm probably forgetting a bunch of plays and misses, or hell maybe he got dropped 3 times for all I know. In reality in takes luck to achieve anything in this game, and if Root was playing like Ballance and Haddin dropped him on 0 he'd just have been bowled 9 balls later or something but instead he made a big score. Talking about what might have happened might be fun for Smith v Root v Williamson v Kohli debates or whatever but if he's lucky Haddin dropped the catch you just as easily say he was unlucky to get something that caught the edge when he was on 0.

Richard Dickinson dislikes this

Gob

International Coach
Kevin Pietersen ‏@KP24 17h17 hours ago
Deep in thought right now...ridiculous that I'm lying on a beach when I should be in UK prepping for the 3rd Test! So silly really! Sad!

Miami beach=Bikini chicks

King Pietersen

International Captain
I don't know what he expects. If he'd stayed in England after the meeting with Strauss and hit a couple more massive hundreds for Surrey then the outcry for his selection would have been huge. As it stands, he played for Surrey for a couple of weeks, made one score and ****ed off to the Caribbean. I'd love to have him back in the England side, but it's the same old story with KP, just hasn't helped himself.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't know what he expects. If he'd stayed in England after the meeting with Strauss and hit a couple more massive hundreds for Surrey then the outcry for his selection would have been huge. As it stands, he played for Surrey for a couple of weeks, made one score and ****ed off to the Caribbean. I'd love to have him back in the England side, but it's the same old story with KP, just hasn't helped himself.
He got injured, didn't he? Didn't play the IPL as well as a result, afaik

King Pietersen

International Captain
He was injured for a couple of weeks, then ****ed off to the Caribbean to play for the Zouks. Funnily enough KP, averaging 32 in the CPL doesn't get you into England contention.

TheJediBrah

Pretty sure Strauss said to him in no uncertain terms that England were NEVER going to pick him no matter what he did. And if they don't pick you after making 355 not out and go with Ballance, Lyth etc instead then they never will.

Can't really blame him for ****ing off.

OverratedSanity

Oh this argument again ffs man. This is why I can't take you guys seriously. KP 's tweets have been hilariously dickish but you can't honestly keep saying "He ****ed off from county" when he was told him scoring a triple for Surrey wasn't going to be enough to even merit mere consideration. You just can't keep shifting the goalposts like this. It's infuriating to read.

Just say he shouldn't be in the team because he's a prick and everyone will agree with you. Don't go back to the disingenuous "He doesn't play County" argument.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Pretty sure Strauss said to him in no uncertain terms that England were NEVER going to pick him no matter what he did. And if they don't pick you after making 355 not out and go with Ballance, Lyth etc instead then they never will.

Can't really blame him for ****ing off.
Fair enough if he believed he wasn't going to be picked again, closed the door and ****ed off into T20 obscurity, but he hasn't. He keeps going on about getting back in, which to me, suggests he thinks he has a chance. However, if he was going to give himself the best chance, he should have stayed at Surrey at least until the end of The Ashes and continued to plunder runs. Sitting on a beach in Miami tweeting about how he's earned his spot and should be in the side while Bairstow, Taylor and Hales plunder runs in England just isn't right, and it should come as no surprise to him why he isn't getting picked. He's just being a **** as usual. If he was that keen on getting back in the side, he'd have stayed and proved to Strauss and the England hierachy why he should be playing, and prove that he's the best batsman in the country. As it stands, he made one score, got told no, and left.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Wait, what? I think KP went to the CPL after the meeting with Strauss because he was told, in no uncertain terms, that it didn't matter how many hundreds he scored or how overwhelming the public pressure was. As soon as Strauss was appointed, there was no avenue back for KP.

A few more hundreds doesn't get Strauss sacked and Piers Morgan hired as England's Director of Cricket. Public pressure doesn't un-send text messages. 100 more runs wasn't going to do anything to get him back in the team.

Whether that decision by the ECB/Strauss was right or wrong is another debate entirely (a very tired one, in fact); but when KP has been told that there is literally nothing he can do to change their minds, its hard to blame him for going elsewhere. If anything, it's probably better for everyone that he decided to move on.

The tweets are him desperately trying to stay relevant; I think he knows that he's not getting a recall, and just wants to stir **** and get the attention. Because he's, y'know, a pretty dire bloke like that.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Wait, what? I think KP went to the CPL after the meeting with Strauss because he was told, in no uncertain terms, that it didn't matter how many hundreds he scored or how overwhelming the public pressure was. As soon as Strauss was appointed, there was no avenue back for KP.

A few more hundreds doesn't get Strauss sacked and Piers Morgan hired as England's Director of Cricket. Public pressure doesn't un-send text messages. 100 more runs wasn't going to do anything to get him back in the team.

Whether that decision by the ECB/Strauss was right or wrong is another debate entirely (a very tired one, in fact); but when KP has been told that there is literally nothing he can do to change their minds, its hard to blame him for going elsewhere. If anything, it's probably better for everyone that he decided to move on.

The tweets are him desperately trying to stay relevant; I think he knows that he's not getting a recall, and just wants to stir **** and get the attention. Because he's, y'know, a pretty dire bloke like that.
I reckon he genuinely wants to be playing this series.