• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at Adelaide

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
If there is ''too much cricket'' it has nothing to do with the cc but all the bish bash bosh dross Strauss and Harrison insist on clogging the season up with. You want a 90mph bowler or a spinner? Well you are not going to find it relegating the cc to May and September and denying the best chance to bake wickets in July which is now full of twenty20 garbage. There is nothing wrong with the cc that isn't some recent wanky ECB idea.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The point about the 80mph dobbers is a fair point. Blame pitch curators for that I suppose.
2 points:

1. England's current attack leader is an 80mph dobber and is within 50 wickets of becoming (in terms of wickets taken) the greatest seam bowler to have played the game.

2. The bloke who currently holds that title (who is also the best seam bowler of all time) was also an 80mph dobber.

S.Kennedy

I'm actually not blaming the team but the ECB and management,

Bayliss is a T20 merchant who cannot be arsed to attend county matches. I am not even sure he wanted the test job.

The selectors, Whitiker and Newel etc., are compromised by being involved with their counties and fasttracking their own guys. They are also crap at selecting.

Strauss is obsessed with one day silliness and therefore the test team has slid to absolute garbage commencing with the Indian 4-0 debacle. Players - Root and Bairstow - have been denied playing for their counties because of one-day rubbish.

And the aforementioned structuring of the fixtures which removes cc from high-summer. They have also removed two fixtures per county quite recently.

This defeat is theirs. They are not actually interested in test cricket.

Woodster

International Captain
I don’t think what happened this morning came as a surprise to anyone really, there was hope but ultimately should Australia take an early one or two that would essentially put an end to it.

Fair play to the Aussies, their weaknesses have not been as obvious and apparent as ours, both sides have plenty of them but the hosts exposed ours far more effectively.

We need to seriously think about a couple of things for Perth, we can still salvage something from this tour, this isn’t a rampaging Aussie side that sweeps all before them and we can find turn the momentum around.

Next up Perth.....yes, forgot about that. What better time to finally put in a performance in WA!

Gob

International Coach
I don’t think what happened this morning came as a surprise to anyone really, there was hope but ultimately should Australia take an early one or two that would essentially put an end to it.

Fair play to the Aussies, their weaknesses have not been as obvious and apparent as ours, both sides have plenty of them but the hosts exposed ours far more effectively.

We need to seriously think about a couple of things for Perth, we can still salvage something from this tour, this isn’t a rampaging Aussie side that sweeps all before them and we can find turn the momentum around.

Next up Perth.....yes, forgot about that. What better time to finally put in a performance in WA!
Not a patch on 06/07 but i think this is better than 13/14

Woodster

International Captain
Not a patch on 06/07 but i think this is better than 13/14
I still think this Aussie side has some very good players, if the bowlers all fire in Perth we’re in serious trouble and obviously Smith and Warner are still massive wickets. But there are obvious chinks in their armour, Bancroft and Handscomb are going to be under huge pressure if they retain their spots and while Marsh was exceptional in the first innings at Adelaide, I’m sure England will still fancy getting him cheaply and Paine is yet to fully convince. Unfortunately we don’t appear good enough yet to take full advantage.

CarlsbergXpress

U19 Vice-Captain
Ok so I've just read through the pages that I missed on here whilst at work. From an England POV I know Bayliss has said no changes, but what is the consensus from England fans? Foakes in for Vince, everyone up 1 place and no change in the bowling from what I can glean. Is that about right?

Gob

International Coach
13/14 had better batting. This has a better bowling attack.
Not sure tbh. Current Warner is better than Warner then. Smith is at least as good as Clarke was then if not better. Khawaja is better than Watto and SMarsh is better than Bailey.

Rogers was a quality opener and Smith then while half of the player he is now was still comfortably better at using his hands to score than Peter. Tail kind of even but the real difference was Rad who was immense in that series. Bowling comparison is also interesting i'd say Lyon is far better and Cummins definitely ads more venom than Siddle whith not much between Harris and Haze. But Johnson was on steroids so dunno

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Not sure tbh. Current Warner is better than Warner then. Smith is at least as good as Clarke was then if not better. Khawaja is better than Watto and SMarsh is better than Bailey.

Rogers was a quality opener and Smith then while half of the player he is now was still comfortably better at using his hands to score than Peter. Tail kind of even but the real difference was Rad who was immense in that series. Bowling comparison is also interesting i'd say Lyon is far better and Cummins definitely ads more venom than Siddle whith not much between Harris and Haze. But Johnson was on steroids so dunno
Behave yourself.

S.Kennedy

I do not agree in the slightest if factoring out the improvement in Smith and Warner. I actually do not find the current Australian batting overly impressive, it is just that England's is even worse. 2013-14,

Rogers
Watson
Clarke
Haddin (who was the biggest pain during that series)

The only weak link, a comparable ''2017 figure'' was George Bailey. 2017,

Bancroft
Khawaja
Handscomb
S. Marsh
Paine

No comparison. Handscomb is complete garbage. 2013 didn't have a similar figure as that. Paine, Bancroft and S. Marsh are basically gigantic 'question marks' at this level, granted, Marsh - and to a vastly lesser extent, the other two - has went far in beginning to amend that. Khawaja? I just don't rate him - sorry. Dreadful outside Oz. No comparison with 2013.

In simplistic terms, 2013 had one more ''all time great'' in Clarke.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

Or to put it another way, the only 2017 player I'd take into 2013 team to make it better currently is S. Marsh, for George Bailey.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Why would you factor out Smith's/Warner's improvement? That's like the main counter argument.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Day 5 of this test was gutting, don't think I ever thought we'd pull if off but I did have hopes we'd make the ****ers sweat on it.

On the bright side we did manage to get Smith out twice, after Brisbane the talk was all about if we'd take his wicket all series. That's the only **** you I've got.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And sorry about this, I get excited.
Think you might have the definition of this arse about mate. Gambhiring is posting ridiculously negative things about your own team's chances when the game is at worst evenly poised or when they are on top, on the ridiculous premise that if you jinx them they'll win.

Worst recent example was the Aus in India series this year.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
So you want the best parts of the current batting lineup to be factored out of the argument about which batting lineup was better?

That doesn't clarify anything. That's just silly.