• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2021

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
Wagner has genuine batting talent, it's silly to have him below Southee. He has a bunch of FC 50's, one in tests, and also a 100 in an FC warmup game.

Tbh super disappointed in our batting, without Conway that would have been a truly woeful innings. Nicholls obviously solid too, pity how he got out, not really his fault about the collapse. It's hard to avoid knee-jerk reactions though, and silly to be pessimistic one innings in to a tour.

Bowlers are moving it a ton based on the highlights. Could be a very interesting first session tonight!

Skyliner

International 12th Man
The 'NZ' batting 'performance' was a hard headed bloke from South Africa doing his thing as an outlier, while the same bunch of softies who flopped in Australia did theirs. The score-card shows what an 'oil and water' scenario this was. One classy batsman with a clear head just out there playing test cricket, and then a group of guys who crumple like a wet paper bag when outside of the comforts of home & their favoured 'fish out of water on NZ decks' sub-continental opponents.
What a total embarrassment. Should have been 450 at least when one bloke scored such a commanding double-century, and England should have been batted right out of the game. I've heard a lot of talk about 'fight' and 'grit' with respect to NZ sans Conway, but not much on display except for 60 odd 'homegrown Kiwi' runs from Nicols.

BJ Watling is a microcosm of NZ's batting ineptitude overseas against better sides. 'Nuggety, gritty, doughty'......at home on flat decks like Bay Oval and the Basin. Get him to Australia or England or India and he'll likely not trouble the scorers. Always goes into these series' hyped as an immovable object who will grind out big runs, and it doesn't happen. But he remains tidy with the gloves.

Yes, the batting totally flopped on their last big international assignment, that afore-mentioned disastrous Australian tour. Come to think of it, so did the bowling. The bowling was cannon fodder, Mitch Santner (the non-spinning spinner) was a laughing stock to the Aussie commentators, and the sole bowling performance of note came from a hard headed bloke from South Africa doing his thing as an outlier.

As far as tail end resistance goes in that 1st innings at Lords, it was a flop except for a hard headed bloke from South Africa doing his thing as an outlier. Why inept batting bunny Tim Southee would be batting ahead of Neil Wagner no-one will ever know. Wagner showed last year that he can now actually turn in some eye-catching performances as a lower order batsman, while Southee is clearly all at sea with his boat getting further from shore by the day.

Interesting to see NZ set up talking about 'when you lose one wicket you can lose a clump' to explain away a disastrous spineless collapse.
What a collection of weak dismissals. Poor prep? Conway was batting on kitty litter in the nets as his prep, and he still came out with the right attitude and performed. I'd back him to shut out all the negatives and just bat like that no matter what the location: could be Eden Gardens, the MCG, or Seddon Park.

Unfortunately for him - and us - the NZ team is still a collection of psychologically frail characters who can only really perform in their 'safe zone': a nice flat NZ pitch where the batsmen feel coddled and able to perform, and the bowlers can fall back on the tireless outlier Neil Wagner to break his back carrying them when the swing isn't there or the shine is off the new ball.

Frost

U19 Debutant
The 'NZ' batting 'performance' was a hard headed bloke from South Africa doing his thing as an outlier, while the same bunch of softies who flopped in Australia did theirs. The score-card shows what an 'oil and water' scenario this was. One classy batsman with a clear head just out there playing test cricket, and then a group of guys who crumple like a wet paper bag when outside of the comforts of home & their favoured 'fish out of water on NZ decks' sub-continental opponents.
What a total embarrassment. Should have been 450 at least when one bloke scored such a commanding double-century, and England should have been batted right out of the game. I've heard a lot of talk about 'fight' and 'grit' with respect to NZ sans Conway, but not much on display except for 60 odd 'homegrown Kiwi' runs from Nicols.

BJ Watling is a microcosm of NZ's batting ineptitude overseas against better sides. 'Nuggety, gritty, doughty'......at home on flat decks like Bay Oval and the Basin. Get him to Australia or England or India and he'll likely not trouble the scorers. Always goes into these series' hyped as an immovable object who will grind out big runs, and it doesn't happen. But he remains tidy with the gloves.

Yes, the batting totally flopped on their last big international assignment, that afore-mentioned disastrous Australian tour. Come to think of it, so did the bowling. The bowling was cannon fodder, Mitch Santner (the non-spinning spinner) was a laughing stock to the Aussie commentators, and the sole bowling performance of note came from a hard headed bloke from South Africa doing his thing as an outlier.

As far as tail end resistance goes in that 1st innings at Lords, it was a flop except for a hard headed bloke from South Africa doing his thing as an outlier. Why inept batting bunny Tim Southee would be batting ahead of Neil Wagner no-one will ever know. Wagner showed last year that he can now actually turn in some eye-catching performances as a lower order batsman, while Southee is clearly all at sea with his boat getting further from shore by the day.

Interesting to see NZ set up talking about 'when you lose one wicket you can lose a clump' to explain away a disastrous spineless collapse.
What a collection of weak dismissals. Poor prep? Conway was batting on kitty litter in the nets as his prep, and he still came out with the right attitude and performed. I'd back him to shut out all the negatives and just bat like that no matter what the location: could be Eden Gardens, the MCG, or Seddon Park.

Unfortunately for him - and us - the NZ team is still a collection of psychologically frail characters who can only really perform in their 'safe zone': a nice flat NZ pitch where the batsmen feel coddled and able to perform, and the bowlers can fall back on the tireless outlier Neil Wagner to break his back carrying them when the swing isn't there or the shine is off the new ball.
Except we regularly score big first innings runs overseas, have for over a decade. India, uae, west indies and our last tour of England if you want to look back. It's cricket and this happens, until England pass nzs score and start mounting a lead then it's still anyone's game. Although the new zealand team would never admit this, this series is a warm up to the final, sure a series win regardless of points is great, it doesn't mean nz arnt the best test team in the world overnight. A typical knee jerk reaction if ever I have seen one.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
NZ’s only test win in England in the past 20 years was achieved primarily on the back of a BJ Watling hundred. I can’t believe I’m going to say this but you made more sense when all you did was grumble about how McCullum was the antichrist.

Athlai

Not Terrible

ok

Chubb

International Regular
I think Robinson's case hinges on whether he was a contracted professional at the time. I expect an example will be made for one test but a longer ban will depend on that.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Two things that stand out... one is our reputed batters Latham, Kane and Taylor haven't fired yet. Rare to see all three fail but lucky to have Devon playing. Broad and Anderson mostly ineffective. For England Wood and Robinson made up for it.

I don't think we are going to see another test match on this tour where Latham, Kane and Taylor all fail collectively. I have never really placed much importance on CDG or Santner's batting. More often than not they don't come off. Yes CDG has scored some good runs in the past but I can't remember him making serious impact seriously with the bat. His bowling is good enough to keep him in the team. He's miser and can pick wickets.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

could miss some of the indian tests as well it says.
Don't quite know what to make of this tbh. Salient lesson I suppose, but seems a pretty harsh punishment for something he's tweeted as a teenager a long while ago. Maybe a fine or a suspended sentence may have been the way to go. It certainly sends a message, but I don't know if that message will get through to boofy 18 year olds. Guess we wait and see.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Hi CM Punk, did you forget your old password?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

could miss some of the indian tests as well it says.
I just can't get my head around this whole thing. OK, so the guy made some racist and stupid texts when he was a teenager, and they're going to ban him? The guy has been forced to apologise, to be embarrassed in front of the world on debut, has had the gloss taken off a great performance on debut, yet that's not enough? What is the outcome of a ban that a fine and a suspended sentence wouldn't achieve? Pure PR BS move by the ECB.

Well played to the person who drudged through his timeline and decided to bring that up. There are some massive losers in this world.

And on that note, well done to Michael Vaughan the massive dribbler, who reckons the ECB should've picked it up.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Makes people realise that being a racist cricketer has serious consequences

It's an overreaction but much more understandable than, for example, CA's reaction to sandpapergate. I support this move.
Racism should be punished but I can't help but feel these type of things the learning outcome is don't make racist social media posts instead of don't be racist