• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Offical Rugby League Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No one has ever really thought that tbh. But he's like Ricky Stuart - a protected species in the media. He's basically cost NSW five series in a row. He was terrific player but tbh he was over rated as well. Daley was a miles better 5/8th, lets be honest. And neither a patch on Kenny, though there's no shame in that I suppose.
Absolutely bizarre quote re use of Hynes which sums him up

Pick Panthers with no Plan B or willingness/ability to adapt in game

Son Of Coco

I think it's fair to say neither of Freddy's "gambles" paid off. Hudson Young gor so caught up in being a menace, he gave QLD 2 tries, and Pangai was essentially ineffective apart from gifting QLD a third.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pangai was such a terrible pick. He doesn't have a go, never has. A born and bred Bronco. Seriously.

Have a look at the clubs where the blokes Fittler picked are playing. He's selected some untried/ unproven fellas who are in fringe eight/ dud sides. I can cop blokes being picked when their sides aren't going well if they're established Origin players and incumbents, so I can get Tedesco being picked despite the Roosters going no good.

But look at Pangai, Addo Carr, Burton (18th man) - from the side running 14th. Honestly, if Gould wasn't their football manager, they'd be getting crucified for running where they are given the money they've spent. They're a dud outfit (love to see it, they're genuinely doing nothing and going nowhere). Frizell - been a fine player but over the hill, hasn't played Origin in years and from the side running 12th. Even Junior Paulo- Parra is running 13th (though headed for the top four), but at least he's an incumbent I suppose even though he's never really shone at Origin level. Hudson Young - you'd think he was the new Brad Clyde the way Stuart and Fittler yapped him up - Canberra is running 7th ffs, they aren't six clear on top. Api is better than Cook, I will grant you that but he's playing for the side running last rn and wasn't picked last year when he was playing for the premiers. Bizarro. These aren't forwards who are dominating in their positions at club level to the point where they deserve a shot.

Meanwhile, Liam Martin and Cam Murray sit on the ****ing bench. Woeful.

Mister Wright

Look, I know you have reading issues because Qlder, but as I said I turned the game off at half time because the fix was already in. You're ignoring Frizell's obvious try being disallowed and the knock on a minute before half time being overlooked when the mouth breathers were out on their feet.

The whole shebang is made for Qld to satiate their well deserved insecurities and sense of inferiority, and the NRL is on board with it. Api's try was not a knock on, I suggest you consult the Qld version of the rule book - it has pictures instead of big words. Sin binning looked ordinary to me but I saw it in isolation and not what/ if the bloke had done to warrant it in the lead up. In any event, Qld were always going to be looked after - that's the Origin way.
Oh my. What an embarrassment. It is clear that the players play like the fans. Absolute dribble. No heart, no passion, blaming others for the loss and resorting to petty insults blinding oneself to reality. ?‍♂

the big bambino

International Captain
Does anyone actually think that Freddie is a good coach?

He’s always come across to me as another Alfie - great player, good guy but not a coach
He's rubbish as a coach and don't like him much as a bloke anyway. Slater is too smart for Fittler who picked a team for the previous match imo while Slater changed up for speed this time around.

ashley bach

International Captain
Stand to be corrected here but pretty sure both Freddy and Billy have been rated in the top 10 players of all time.
There's no doubt that Freddy was a genius from a very early age. He had an incredible sidestep, pace and size to boot.
He made the Kangaroos at the age of 18 which pretty much says it all. His career never really wavered, even right up until the end when the great
Ray Warren brilliantly called his magnificent try on Anzac day with ''age shall not weary them.''
No matter how good a player has been in their career though, that doesn't transfer into being a great coach, and this is the case with Freddy.
If ever a coach/selector has to be ruthless, it's at State of Origin time because there's simply nowhere to hide poor selections.
Not sure here who noticed but Billy really, really did not want to drop Kalyn Ponga. The emotion and the pain even talking about it was plain to see.
But, as he said about five times, it's the right decision. That's the difference between the coaches in a nutshell.
There's nothing much to dislike about Freddy @the big bambino because as far as I can tell he's immensely popular across all rugby league circles.
There within lies a big problem though, because as a coach you can only be ''Mr nice guy'' for so long.
Unfortunately for Blues fans they have been out coached and out thought by a much more calculating and ruthless Billy the kid.

ashley bach

International Captain
Damn that was the most frenetic last 10 mins imaginable. Shame the Tigers couldn't get up because I was looking forward to a Ricky Stuart
press conference after squandering an 18 point lead.

_Ed_

Pretty unimpressed by that decision from the bunker.

But at least the Warriors scored soon afterwards anyway.

Burgey

Moses has actually been playing good footy this year but with Brown now likely to be out for a while i don't want him missing any games for Parra lol.