• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Offical Rugby League Thread

the big bambino

International Captain
Not sure if any of the players are Catholics or if they have to square their stand with a Hollywood script as well as the Bible. I first saw the issue of Manly's sponsors as some kind of proof of the player's selective morality mentioned in news.com. But if the press really thought that a contradiction of religious beliefs why didn't they ask for clarification from players at the time? It seems just a little too convenient to raise it now.

Not really sure of their ground, News was cautious in it's implications. News.com reports sometimes don't have a byline and the article needed an idiot to quote and directly accuse the players. Matt Bungard volunteered and jesussplained that accepting sponsorship dollars from alcohol and gambling meant a forfeiture of conscience and beliefs.

Some secularists boast of their ignorance of religion as a sign of rationalism and intelligence. And that ignorance somehow makes them authourities on the Bible. You'd think even the likes of Matt would know the symbolism of wine in the last supper and perhaps the miracle at Cana. When reminded, the rebuke of the players over alcohol sponsorship is hidden away like a mad aunt never to be spoken of again.

Gambling is less clear. Warily; cautiously - it seems the censure is against sins like covetousness, lust for money and idolatry it can lead to rather than the activity itself. So a Christian can drink but not to excess. Just as you drink but oppose the abuse of the substance. And gamble too. Just as you not opposing a flutter, even though aware of the dangers of addictive gambling, would not necessarily make you a hypocrite either.

Even if gambling is condemned by the Bible, sin isn't a precedent. Say a criminal, in committing a burglary refuses the urging of an accomplice to kill a witness. That wouldn't make him a hypocrite and the law wouldn't have an issue with him in that regard. If there was any comment we'd probably say well at least he didn't do that rather than say why didn't he follow through? A Christian might have to search his conscience regarding gambling but in the eyes of believers and perhaps his God, at least he hasn't sinned further.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure if any of the players are Catholics or if they have to square their stand with a Hollywood script as well as the Bible. I first saw the issue of Manly's sponsors as some kind of proof of the player's selective morality mentioned in news.com. But if the press really thought that a contradiction of religious beliefs why didn't they ask for clarification from players at the time? It seems just a little too convenient to raise it now.

Not really sure of their ground, News was cautious in it's implications. News.com reports sometimes don't have a byline and the article needed an idiot to quote and directly accuse the players. Matt Bungard volunteered and jesussplained that accepting sponsorship dollars from alcohol and gambling meant a forfeiture of conscience and beliefs.

Some secularists boast of their ignorance of religion as a sign of rationalism and intelligence. And that ignorance somehow makes them authourities on the Bible. You'd think even the likes of Matt would know the symbolism of wine in the last supper and perhaps the miracle at Cana. When reminded, the rebuke of the players over alcohol sponsorship is hidden away like a mad aunt never to be spoken of again.

Gambling is less clear. Warily; cautiously - it seems the censure is against sins like covetousness, lust for money and idolatry it can lead to rather than the activity itself. So a Christian can drink but not to excess. Just as you drink but oppose the abuse of the substance. And gamble too. Just as you not opposing a flutter, even though aware of the dangers of addictive gambling, would not necessarily make you a hypocrite either.

Even if gambling is condemned by the Bible, sin isn't a precedent. Say a criminal, in committing a burglary refuses the urging of an accomplice to kill a witness. That wouldn't make him a hypocrite and the law wouldn't have an issue with him in that regard. If there was any comment we'd probably say well at least he didn't do that rather than say why didn't he follow through? A Christian might have to search his conscience regarding gambling but in the eyes of believers and perhaps his God, at least he hasn't sinned further.
ok

Flem274*

123/5
God will be used as a justification but I'm going to remain skeptical given these God-fearing young men at best love lines, women and money* and at worst hitting their partners, people on the street and rape.

Many pro-sportsmen and 99.99% of NRL players spend a decade aged 15-16 though so this is literally just ewwwww gays. They'll say "God said bad" but they're unlikely to even be that far along the mental chain tbh. They'll get there at 30 before the CTE sets in at 40.

*and fair enough

Shady Slim

International Coach
i might just note credit to trent robinson for coming out in support of the concept today

i know the pride jersey itself is fairly tokenistic but he seemed really intent to start conversations about issues like mental health and youth suicide in lgbtqi+ community and as public figures and role models that's a great start

ashley bach

International Captain
Could the mighty NZ Warriors upset the Storm tonight?
I'd normally say this would be a joke, but the champion side are currently in the biggest hole I can recall them being in for quite some time.
Not having Pappy at he back has left them looking a bit exposed, but they generally look flat to the board at the moment.
The Warriors will be pretty much at full strength, and should have the hunger to rock n roll in front of a packed house tonight.
Storm to win it just, but the Warriors @$5 is nowhere near the real price, and the line at 14.5 looks a good one to cover.
Besides all this, the Warriors haven't lost a home game for years, in fact they haven't even conceded a try this year.

ashley bach

International Captain
Decent half considering Parra is without Jake Arthur tonight…
Leading 30-4 against a team who have lost only 1 match all year and it's only ''decent''?
tbh have been expecting the Panthers to clock off recently, it's been building the last few weeks, just can't keep that intensity going so long.
The loss will serve the Panthers well, feel sorry for the Titans who'll no doubt cop a backlash next week.
Huge booster for your lads, making that top 4 absolutely vital to keeping their premiership hopes alive.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Leading 30-4 against a team who have lost only 1 match all year and it's only ''decent''?
tbh have been expecting the Panthers to clock off recently, it's been building the last few weeks, just can't keep that intensity going so long.
The loss will serve the Panthers well, feel sorry for the Titans who'll no doubt cop a backlash next week.
Huge booster for your lads, making that top 4 absolutely vital to keeping their premiership hopes alive.
I only found out at about the 60 minute mark that Cleary got sent off early in the game. That would have obviously made a difference, but Parra were ahead at that stage anyway. That's not to say it wouldn't have played out differently, but full credit to them for taking advantage.

ashley bach

International Captain
No doubt having Nathan sent off made a big difference, but with or without him, the slippery Eels were always getting the chocolates tonight.

ashley bach

International Captain
Discarded and written off again the Tigers.
Since Tim Sheens return they have chalked up a 2 point loss to Penrith and a 1 point loss to the Cowboys in Townsville.
Both games have been lost in the final stages, some may even say the 2nd loss involved burglary.
Yet here they are again at 8/1 and 18.5 points in the bag to cover the line.
@mr_mister is your team really that bad or does everyone else just think they suck eggs?
Luke Brooks isn't playing, but still, 3 converted tries in the bank is a fair handicap.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Discarded and written off again the Tigers.
Since Tim Sheens return they have chalked up a 2 point loss to Penrith and a 1 point loss to the Cowboys in Townsville.
Both games have been lost in the final stages, some may even say the 2nd loss involved burglary.
Yet here they are again at 8/1 and 18.5 points in the bag to cover the line.
@mr_mister is your team really that bad or does everyone else just think they suck eggs?
Luke Brooks isn't playing, but still, 3 converted tries in the bank is a fair handicap.
Yeah they are that bad. It's been like this since I started following Balmain in '99 lol, with brief glimpses of form, the timing of which worked wonders in '05

I feel like the west tigers career W/L must be well under 40%, we've made I think 3-4 finals series in 22 years. Though we are at least very good once in the finals. I think our earliest exit in the finals has been the preliminary final

I'm so unbelievably used to us losing by now. Last week was extra annoying though as I had money on them

Nothing still hurts like the loss to Penrith in 2000 though. We were second on the ladder halfway through the season, up 31-8 with 20 to go, and got ran down 32-31 and ended up finishing 9th. I remember both McGuinness and Hopoate doing iconic try celebrations in that game, McGuiness played the corner post like a didgeridoo and Hopoate did the people's elbow between the goalposts. And then we go on to lose lol

Last edited:

ashley bach

International Captain
What a remarkable golden point game between the Sharks and the Rabbitohs. So much happened in such a short space of time.
Lucky to get there in the first place, with Latrell's conversion going in off when he was 3 metres next to the post.
He also had 3 chances to win it with the field goal, none of them easy, but all of them very possible.
Nicho Hynes is a touch of class, one of those few players who has the knack of generally always doing the right thing.
How it came to pass that Bellamy and the Storm didn't go extra lengths to retain him is anyone's guess.
Tom Burgess having brilliantly made what could have been the match winning run, suddenly has a total brain explosion.
How can you possibly make such a blatant and ugly high tackle at any stage never mind midfield in a golden point match?
What's wrong with him, is he missing a part of the cerebrum?
He should be told to piss off and take a months holiday, and have a good think about what he's actually done.